GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
After his service in the army my father was a tenant farmer. With a wife and 2 kids and barely getting by he went to med school on the GI bill. I was born 20 years later, 5th of 6 kids. He was a small town surgeon. I don't know what his last words were because I was still an hour out on a 7 hour drive home when he died. I left home for school when I got word he was on his death bed. He had bone marrow cancer. His spine and ribs had collapsed down and he could not breathe so he was on oxygen the last few months after an 8 year fight with the cancer. He was in the hospital the last week or so. The oxygen dried out his nasal passages and his nose was bleeding. The nurses couldn't get it to stop. He was telling them how to cauterize it. By the time they got it he was no longer conscious and died 6 hours later. 18 years ago this past winter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Please don't take me back to the hospital."

Not his last words but the last ones I heard about. A bit ironic since he had been a doctor and surgeon for some 50 years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My dad passed on January 21 of this year. Not his last words to me, but mine to him:

“I’ll go get the buck cart, Dad, because we got one on the ground.”

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No idea as he passed while we were on a trip in Namibia a few years ago. This a week or so after I did my annual visit to NorCal. He was done...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stomatador
He looked at my mom and said "we had a pretty good life, didn't we?" and stopped breathing a few moments later.

What a wonderful gift to leave your mom with, being grateful for a life well lived and leaving this world with happiness and gratitude.

I’m not even 50 yet but I would certainly feel the way your dad felt, being glad to have shared my life with my best friend.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked in on him while he was in ICU just before his last surgery. By chance a very good looking nurse walked past the bed and he turned to me and said "This isn't so bad at all"

He never regained consciousness after the operation.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, it's funny, but I really don't remember. It certainly wasn't anything profound or touching.

Dad went into the VA for a routine exam and never made it back out. They tried to implant a pacemaker, but it did not go well. He came out of the anesthetic and went completely nuts-- completely bat$hit crazy. He was howling at the moon, talking to the man in the ceiling, and muttering things about the cat in the wall. He was constantly trying to rip out his IV lines and rip at his incision, so they had to tie him in the bed.

Over a week, that gradually went away. He started to appear more normal. He made time with the nurses. He joked with me and Mom. However, they could not get his fluid levels right. He eventually suffered a complete breakdown and died.

I remember one of the last things I said to him where he was up and relatively normal was " When we get out of this, we're all going to have such a laugh!" The rest was just mundane small talk. He was able to see his boyhood neighborhood from the window of his room.

Shortly after that, he became unresponsive overnight. He never regained consciousness. I took Mom home on Sunday afternoon, and we stopped by a local rehab facility to check it out. If he made it out of the hospital we were looking at months of slow rehab. Afterward we went back to the house. The family gathered for dinner. We were all watching the Packers and Vikings when the call came.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never knew my real father, saw him twice. My step fathers were “ You graduated high School. Get the Fuuck out of my house! “

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"Never have sex with a woman sitting on top of a trash can. They think they hear bells every time your balls slap against the can"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My dad died 32 years ago of complications during bypass surgery. Before he was wheeled into surgery, he told me "When I get home, you and I are going out to buy a new Ford Bronco."

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
His last words to me were “You got to play the cards your dealt”. A week later his suffering ended.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My dad passed from a rare and aggressive form of cancer. He found the lump on Halloween and died the 21st of February. The last meaningful conversation that we had was about a week before he died. The illness was taking its toll and we were trying to tie up as many loose ends as we could to insure that my Mom was taken care of. He took off his watch, wedding band and another ring he always wore and asked me to always keep them in the family. I can't remember if I had to leave that night or the next day for a work trip, but when I returned a few days later, he didn't know who he was or where he was. In the ensuing week he slipped into unconsciousness and passed in his sleep.
The only other time he said anything coherent was the day before he passed when my brother and my nephews were all gathered around him saying goodbye, his eyes opened briefly and he said "I love you' about 8 times in a row and then closed his eyes again and fell silent. Those were the last words I heard him say.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by longarm
Hope this isn't too morose a subject, but we do seem to cover a lot of varied terrain here.
My Dad passed more than half my lifetime ago. I still miss him badly.
"

I was in college 144 miles away and he asked me to come see him. He had been struggling with cancer for several years and it had returned. He found himself becoming incontinent and asked my mother to go to the store for something.
He took his own life that day.
His was 59 years old.

I didn’t go to see him when he asked that day,...

Last edited by KRAKMT; 06/17/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know what his last words were, but I will never forget the last conversation I had with him. My 2 young boys and I had spent a January Sunday afternoon at his place sledding down a hill on his property. When we were getting ready to leave, He told me he first wanted to share some information with me. The day before he had purchased a 120 acre farm at an auction with intention of dividing it up in to 5 and 10 acre lots for sale. He said " I want someone to know what my plans are in case something happens. You never know, I may die tomorrow."
So we sat down and he went over everything with me. A week and a half later, he died of a heart attack at the age of 61.

3825 24336
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unknown. He was in an Alzheimer facility at 92. He'd just wakened up and a nurse came in and talked to him. She came back 30 min later and he was gone.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know for sure what he said, but know what he did . . . he got up from the table after eating his sandwich for lunch and headed for the living room and his recliner, which he did every day for years. My bet is he said "I think I'll take a snooze" . . . He never woke up.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Moments before he passed, he said to Mom, "Somethings different."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
He asked if the nurse would come and take care of these.

I said "these what"?

He said "These nuts", smiled and died.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (14idaho, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.