Hop To
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by callnum
Good thing none of you are LEO.
Being skeert of a drunk guy running away packing a bright yellow deployed taser wouldn’t be helpful.

A always good to get input from a Walmart greeter. Not enough skills to get on at Costco? Pretty funny coming from someone who pisses his diapers watching an episode of Cops.

Last edited by ribka; 06/17/20.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Being skeert of a drunk guy running away packing a bright yellow deployed taser wouldn’t be helpful.

A always good to get input from a Walmart greeter. Not enough skills to get on at Costco? Pretty funny coming from someone who pisses his diapers watching an episode of Cops.

Like I said Reba good thing you aren’t LEO, you don’t have the stones for it. You probably shouldn’t even own a gun.

Last edited by callnum; 06/17/20.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by duck911

Same as always. Trolling around the edges and adding one line insults and retorts with zero value.

So really. Break all this down for us, dipchit. You are the expert. More than 1 sentance. How about 2 paragraphs of non-insulting, thoughtful comment on the issue, from you. What happeend, case law that supports your stance that everyone else's opinions suck, and why the cop will be aqcuitted.

This is my first post on this entire issue so I have not even made a stance, so leavene me out of it. But prove yourself.

(I mean, we know you won't, but whatever)

I'll try my best to respond in one sentance.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Originally Posted by MadMooner
50 years ago, or likely less, he’d of likely gotten his azz beat with a stick.

He’d of been brought in alive.

Put in a choke hold and after that was outlawed, beaten with night sticks. Either way the dude could have brought under control without a wrestling match. Cant do that anymore, they have taken away tools these guys have for subduing people that ger violent with them. Guy out maneuvered the cops then grabbed a weapon. Tazer this time, do they grab him again and give him a chance at a gun? People picking apart a split second decision while looking at video in slow motion. Guy put himself in that position and suffered the consequences of his actions.

Shooting fleaing suspects in the back is frowned upon...

Another informed opinion.

How ever informed he or anyone else is, it has shades of Tennessee v Garner. The case was ruled on by the US Supreme Court, and is the latest ruling in regards to shooting fleeing suspects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985), is a civil case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that, under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, the officer may not use deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

It was found that use of deadly force to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of probable cause that the fleeing suspect posed a physical danger.

The probable cause of the current case will have to be decided in a court of law to determine whether Brooks was a threat that justifies deadly force.

Still missing the mark.

By a lot.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Remsen

Put in a choke hold and after that was outlawed, beaten with night sticks. Either way the dude could have brought under control without a wrestling match. Cant do that anymore, they have taken away tools these guys have for subduing people that ger violent with them. Guy out maneuvered the cops then grabbed a weapon. Tazer this time, do they grab him again and give him a chance at a gun? People picking apart a split second decision while looking at video in slow motion. Guy put himself in that position and suffered the consequences of his actions.

How ever informed he or anyone else is, it has shades of Tennessee v Garner. The case was ruled on by the US Supreme Court, and is the latest ruling in regards to shooting fleeing suspects.

Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985), is a civil case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that, under the Fourth Amendment, when a law enforcement officer is pursuing a fleeing suspect, the officer may not use deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

It was found that use of deadly force to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of probable cause that the fleeing suspect posed a physical danger.

The probable cause of the current case will have to be decided in a court of law to determine whether Brooks was a threat that justifies deadly force.

Garner wouldn't control this case. In 2014, the Supreme Court revisited Garner and while it didn't overrule, it distinguished the facts in finding that a cop who killed a fleeing suspect did not violate the 4th (or 8th, for some folks here) amendment. The case is Plumoff v. Rickard and the facts there are a lot closer to the Atlanta shooting than Garner's facts were. To wit, from the Supreme Court's unanimous decision...

"Near midnight on July 18, 2004, Lieutenant Joseph Forthman of the West Memphis, Arkansas, Police Department pulled over a white Honda Accord because the car had only one operating headlight. Donald Rickard was the driver of the Accord, and Kelly Allen was in the passenger seat. Forthman noticed an indentation, “ ‘roughly the size of a head or a basketball’ ” in the windshield of the car. Estate of Allen v. West Memphis, 2011 WL 197426, *1 (WD Tenn., Jan. 20, 2011). He asked Rickard if he had been drinking, and Rickard responded that he had not. Because Rickard failed to produce his driver’s license upon request and appeared nervous, Forthman asked him to step out of the car. Rather than comply with Forthman’s request, Rickard sped away.

Forthman gave chase and was soon joined by five other police cruisers driven by Sergeant Vance Plumhoff and Officers Jimmy Evans, Lance Ellis, Troy Galtelli, and John Gardner. The officers pursued Rickard east on In-terstate 40 toward Memphis, Tennessee. While on I–40, they attempted to stop Rickard using a “rolling roadblock,” id., at *2, but they were unsuccessful. The District Court described the vehicles as “swerving through traffic at high speeds,” id., at *8, and respondent does not dispute that the cars attained speeds over 100 miles per hour.[2] See Memorandum of Law in Response to Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment in No. 2:05–cv–2585 (WD Tenn.), p. 16; see also Tr. of Oral Arg. 54:23–55:6. During the chase, Rickard and the officers passed more than two dozen vehicles.

Rickard eventually exited I–40 in Memphis, and shortly afterward he made “a quick right turn,” causing “contact [to] occu[r]” between his car and Evans’ cruiser. 2011 WL 197426, *3. As a result of that contact, Rickard’s car spun out into a parking lot and collided with Plumhoff’s cruiser. Now in danger of being cornered, Rickard put his car into reverse “in an attempt to escape.” Ibid. As he did so, Evans and Plumhoff got out of their cruisers and approached Rickard’s car, and Evans, gun in hand, pounded on the passenger-side window. At that point, Rickard’s car “made contact with” yet another police cruiser. Ibid. Rickard’s tires started spinning, and his car “was rocking back and forth,” ibid., indicating that Rickard was using the accelerator even though his bumper was flush against a police cruiser. At that point, Plumhoff fired three shots into Rickard’s car. Rickard then “reversed in a 180 degree arc” and “maneuvered onto” another street, forcing Ellis to “step to his right to avoid the vehicle.” Ibid. As Rickard continued “fleeing down” that street, ibid., Gardner and Galtelli fired 12 shots toward Rickard’s car, bringing the total number of shots fired during this incident to 15. Rickard then lost control of the car and crashed into a building. Ibid. Rickard and Allen both died from some combination of gunshot wounds and injuries suffered in the crash that ended the chase. See App. 60, 76."

I'd argue that the facts are pretty close to identical until the bad guy in this case started his 100+mph getaway, but I'd also argue that a suspect who physically assaults the arresting officer, steals his taser, runs, then shoots the taser at the cop was showing a much greater threat than the guy just trying to drive off (and the fact that the cop in Plumoff fired 15 rounds over time vs 3 shots by the ATL cops shows that the ATL cops were far more restrained).

Garner was a civil case. It has exactly zero precedential value in this criminal prosecution. It could not be less relevant.

Tarquin
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KFWA
at this point I"m all for stop sending white cops into mixed or predominantly black neighborhoods.

If there are black cops that will go there, fine, if not, then don't police.

This is aburd

Worked in Baltimore...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tarquin

Garner was a civil case. It has exactly zero precedential value in this criminal prosecution. It could not be less relevant.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
at this point I"m all for stop sending white cops into mixed or predominantly black neighborhoods.

If there are black cops that will go there, fine, if not, then don't police.

This is aburd

Worked in Baltimore...

Whatever anybody's opinion, cops are going to ease way back on policing blacks.

White people are going to have to adjust. Staying away from blacks is the best way. Blacks always turn the violence up when the cops back off. They're going to turn it *way* up now. They're going to be killing each other at a brand new level.

Whites would do well to steer clear of it as much as possible.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

Its not being skeert of the guy.... its not wanting to take a life when not needed... its a sacred thing. And as I pointed out previously, the charged officer missed his mark a few times by large margins sending bullets into innocent occupied vehicles missing the occupants by not far. Thats extremely reckless and causes way more harm to the public than a disorderly drunk.

Running drunk vs wildly shooting cop who misses by 10’s of feet???

The Duck 2.0.

LOL

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Have you ever prosecuted a criminal in court in the US?

Garner wouldn't control this case. In 2014, the Supreme Court revisited Garner and while it didn't overrule, it distinguished the facts in finding that a cop who killed a fleeing suspect did not violate the 4th (or 8th, for some folks here) amendment. The case is Plumoff v. Rickard and the facts there are a lot closer to the Atlanta shooting than Garner's facts were. To wit, from the Supreme Court's unanimous decision...

"Near midnight on July 18, 2004, Lieutenant Joseph Forthman of the West Memphis, Arkansas, Police Department pulled over a white Honda Accord because the car had only one operating headlight. Donald Rickard was the driver of the Accord, and Kelly Allen was in the passenger seat. Forthman noticed an indentation, “ ‘roughly the size of a head or a basketball’ ” in the windshield of the car. Estate of Allen v. West Memphis, 2011 WL 197426, *1 (WD Tenn., Jan. 20, 2011). He asked Rickard if he had been drinking, and Rickard responded that he had not. Because Rickard failed to produce his driver’s license upon request and appeared nervous, Forthman asked him to step out of the car. Rather than comply with Forthman’s request, Rickard sped away.

Forthman gave chase and was soon joined by five other police cruisers driven by Sergeant Vance Plumhoff and Officers Jimmy Evans, Lance Ellis, Troy Galtelli, and John Gardner. The officers pursued Rickard east on In-terstate 40 toward Memphis, Tennessee. While on I–40, they attempted to stop Rickard using a “rolling roadblock,” id., at *2, but they were unsuccessful. The District Court described the vehicles as “swerving through traffic at high speeds,” id., at *8, and respondent does not dispute that the cars attained speeds over 100 miles per hour.[2] See Memorandum of Law in Response to Defendants’ Motion for Summary Judgment in No. 2:05–cv–2585 (WD Tenn.), p. 16; see also Tr. of Oral Arg. 54:23–55:6. During the chase, Rickard and the officers passed more than two dozen vehicles.

Rickard eventually exited I–40 in Memphis, and shortly afterward he made “a quick right turn,” causing “contact [to] occu[r]” between his car and Evans’ cruiser. 2011 WL 197426, *3. As a result of that contact, Rickard’s car spun out into a parking lot and collided with Plumhoff’s cruiser. Now in danger of being cornered, Rickard put his car into reverse “in an attempt to escape.” Ibid. As he did so, Evans and Plumhoff got out of their cruisers and approached Rickard’s car, and Evans, gun in hand, pounded on the passenger-side window. At that point, Rickard’s car “made contact with” yet another police cruiser. Ibid. Rickard’s tires started spinning, and his car “was rocking back and forth,” ibid., indicating that Rickard was using the accelerator even though his bumper was flush against a police cruiser. At that point, Plumhoff fired three shots into Rickard’s car. Rickard then “reversed in a 180 degree arc” and “maneuvered onto” another street, forcing Ellis to “step to his right to avoid the vehicle.” Ibid. As Rickard continued “fleeing down” that street, ibid., Gardner and Galtelli fired 12 shots toward Rickard’s car, bringing the total number of shots fired during this incident to 15. Rickard then lost control of the car and crashed into a building. Ibid. Rickard and Allen both died from some combination of gunshot wounds and injuries suffered in the crash that ended the chase. See App. 60, 76."

I'd argue that the facts are pretty close to identical until the bad guy in this case started his 100+mph getaway, but I'd also argue that a suspect who physically assaults the arresting officer, steals his taser, runs, then shoots the taser at the cop was showing a much greater threat than the guy just trying to drive off (and the fact that the cop in Plumoff fired 15 rounds over time vs 3 shots by the ATL cops shows that the ATL cops were far more restrained).

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
such a funny little girl. Bless your heart!

Like I said Reba good thing you aren’t LEO, you don’t have the stones for it. You probably shouldn’t even own a gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Whatever anybody's opinion, cops are going to ease way back on policing blacks.

White people are going to have to adjust. Staying away from blacks is the best way. Blacks always turn the violence up when the cops back off. They're going to turn it *way* up now. They're going to be killing each other at a brand new level.

Whites would do well to steer clear of it as much as possible.

The repercussions will be far more reaching than that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Staying away from blacks is the best way.

This has never not been the best way to live.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Have you ever prosecuted a criminal in court in the US?

No, but you don't have to be a lawyer to figure this one out. grin But since you're asking, have you ever prosecuted a criminal case?

Tarquin
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Stickfight

True,...but as things stand now it may be the only way to "live".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Stickfight

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Its not being skeert of the guy.... its not wanting to take a life when not needed... its a sacred thing. And as I pointed out previously, the charged officer missed his mark a few times by large margins sending bullets into innocent occupied vehicles missing the occupants by not far. Thats extremely reckless and causes way more harm to the public than a disorderly drunk.

He wasn't just some drunk guy out for a run who got shot for no reason. You're disingenuous. Further evidence of your low intellect.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I wont play the "what if" game. Dude got violent with cops, grabbed one of their weapons then got shot. Does running away make him suddenly not violent? The minute he turned his back he should he no longer be considered a threat?

Well, if he's 15' away sprinting the opposite direction. Yah. Fast action, quick decision and a bad decision. Not making any other claim on the matter. Cop [bleep] up, obviously in my totally irrelevant opinion.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

No, but you don't have to be a lawyer to figure this one out. grin But since you're asking, have you ever prosecuted a criminal case?

LOL

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by copperking81

He wasn't just some drunk guy out for a run who got shot for no reason. You're disingenuous. Further evidence of your low intellect.

Hey I normally don't stick up for these two low brow crazy town goof balls but they're ( their for ejp) still working on their GEDs

Last edited by ribka; 06/17/20.
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 18,572 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,694
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.