J
Tuner?

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Tuner?

Hell yes! At least he want have to worry about voiding the warranty.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy a Cummins

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hunter4623
My 2012 has been in for the following (all covered under warranty)
-EGR cooler replaced
-primary radiator leak where the plastic inlet tubes are crimped to the metal radiator. Bad design
-A/C condenser developed a leak
- Front driver side hub bearings froze

I’m at 97k on it.

Would have thought the EGR coolers would be better by 2012.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
290,000 miles and 9500 hours?

I bought an oilfield pickup once with those hours and 137,000 miles.

2080 work hours/year = 4.5 years @ 9500 hrs.
137,000 miles ÷ 30,000/year = 4.5 years so true, guess that ain't that bad.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by hunter4623
My 2012 has been in for the following (all covered under warranty)
-EGR cooler replaced
-primary radiator leak where the plastic inlet tubes are crimped to the metal radiator. Bad design
-A/C condenser developed a leak
- Front driver side hub bearings froze

I’m at 97k on it.

Would have thought the EGR coolers would be better by 2012.

Me too. That was replaced at 44k. I don’t remember if that was a recall or found thru diagnosis of an idiot light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
290,000 miles and 9500 hours?

I bought an oilfield pickup once with those hours and 137,000 miles.

Worked inland barge drilling rigs.

Wireline crews came out on a barge. Load trucks on barge.

Trucks idled nonstop. Sometimes a couple 3 days. Hands would sleep in them.

I had an old ‘96 f350. Flatbed farm truck. Wasnt pretty too look at. 287k miles. Standard. It would roll!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 2012 FX4 6.7 diesel 160,000 miles

Complete AC replacement last year (common problem)
Changed all body to frame bushings (common problem)
Front rightt wheel bearing

Engine has been pretty solid, one issue under warranty several years ago with the turbo, nothing major

A buddy has a 2013 FX4 diesel with 200,000 miles. Just changed his AC. Engine has been solid.

Last edited by Mike70560; 06/17/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my take, for what it's worth: 150K, mostly highway miles, on a 6.7 Ford would be acceptable. This truck is a work truck and probably has lots of short trips around town, which could cause issues in the future.

The EPA has really screwed the American public and made diesels almost unusable for the average American slob. All the mandated EPA equipment causes nothing but problems and, personally, there's no way in hell I'd own an out of warranty diesel unless all that emissions crap was ripped out. There's also the issue of the CP3 vs. the newer CP4 injection pump. By all accounts, the CP4 is a POS and replacement costs thousands - I've read many horror stories. I believe the '15 6.7 has the CP3, but I'd look into that to confirm.

Then there's the price. I agree that 19K is a great price, which is enticing. I've wanted to get a diesel for a long time. Cummins can't be beat, but the truck that's wrapped around it leaves much to be desired. The Ford 6.7 is a much better diesel than either the 6.0 or the 6.4, as stated, but the 6.7 is a very complicated engine compared to the Cummins, which translates into very expensive repairs. I won't even consider a G'ovt Motors Duramax. So what's a fella to do? Well, I'll tell you what I would do if I had the cash: Purchase a '78 Ford F250 Crew Cab and bolt a built 450 HP Cummins 12-Valve into that puppy!

Good luck w/ yer decision.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/17/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sam, did it come as chassis only? They are seriously detuned.

A good friend has a ‘15 F350 straight axle with about the same miles. It’s a beast. Don’t think he’s had any trouble and it’s been used as a work/farm/4 horse slant puller it’s whole life. His 15 year old daughter drives it now.

My friend is a 7.3 Powerstroke junkie and he thinks the 6.7 is a way better motor. ‘15 is the year they also jumped the HP and torque ratings.

The price seems right. I see the 6.7 holding value like the old 7.3

Do you the think the TV company would still have the service records on it to look at?

He went over yonder way
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
there's no way in hell I'd own an out of warranty diesel unless all that emissions crap was ripped out.

I'm gonna check and see if that's still legal.......

Turns awesome into AWESOME.

Just thought of this, check to see how dirty the radiators are. All 4(or 5?).

Stacked in a row.

AKA pain in the ass to clean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'm gonna check and see if that's still legal.......

Turns awesome into AWESOME.

It's not exactly a question of if it's legal, it's more a question of do they conduct emissions testing when you have your yearly inspection. They don't here in Texas, on heavy-duty trucks, so for all intents and purposes, it's "legal." Emissions related repairs cost big money and they are the main source of problems with these late-model diesels.

But you're correct, ripping the EPA emissions crap out does indeed turn these diesels into beasts. These infernal EPA Emission Controls hamper reliability, mileage and power. They are good for nothing - just endless regulation which increases costs substantially for the avg. American slob.

I drove a few late model deleted (emission controls removed) Ram Cummins trucks that had tuners, chips and exhausts and they were absolute beasts. I was VERY impressed and I'm not easily impressed these days.

If you do go the delete route, be aware that you'll probably blow the transmission at some point. Stock transmissions were not designed to handle that kind of serious power. You'll have to get a built transmission or gearbox specifically designed to handle big horsepower (500+ HP) and that ain't cheap. You also have to make sure that you're tuned correctly and not "rollin' coal" and blowin' black smoke all over Tarnation - you don't want that kind of negative attention - either from environmental wack jobs, who will turn you in, or the law. I imagine you'll be using this as a work truck on your farm, so that probably won't be an issue for you.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/17/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No tests here.

Bunch of deleted 6.7's running around.

150k on anything is gamble I guess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
150k on anything is gamble I guess.

Yessir. You pays yer money and you take yer chances. But you can minimize that by reviewing all the documentation and making sure that it's been well maintained. Also a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection by an experienced diesel guy if you're not able to do a thorough inspection job yourself.

- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon

If you do go the delete route, be aware that you'll probably blow the transmission at some point. Stock transmissions were not designed to handle that kind of serious power. You'll have to get a built transmission or gearbox specifically designed to handle big horsepower (500+ HP) and that ain't cheap. I imagine you'll be using this as a work truck on your farm, so that probably won't be an issue for you.

Yes but stay close to stock tune and the trans will hopefully hold up.

We(the farm) bought a used 6.4 bale bed that was turned way up and it ate a transmission and rear end before we traded it off.

Crazy power while it lasted.

Last edited by SamOlson; 06/17/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think Sam makes enough to worry about writeoffs on a new toy.

So a good 6.7 is worth a look. It's way better than a 6.0, which is a gutless mungmobile. I've been impressed with the way the 6.7 runs on the highway, decent mileage and plenty of passing power for what is basically a road locomotive. If it's been kept lubed and filtered, not washboarded to death, it should be barely broken in for farm work --

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
150,000 miles on a 6.7 wouldn't spook me in the least.
Bunch of people I know have 250,000 plus with no issues.
$19,000 I'd put a hydrabed on it and run it til the wheels fell off.

After the 6.0/6.4 train wreck Ford finally has it figured out.
Last ones I had/have are 7.3's but as good as they were, the 6.7 may be/probably are, better.

What's a hydrabed? All I can find on google is the Hydrabed, a ship that sank off New Zealand in the 19th century.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bale feeding bed.

Hydraulic powered.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
150,000 miles on a 6.7 wouldn't spook me in the least.

That - especially if the maintenance records speak well of the owner... Hopefully they also paid attention to the front end re: tie rod bushings and steering dampener.. Last - see if they'll let you drive it and get it warm enough to drop an oil sample and send off to Blackstone for an oil test.. If that comes back with a clean bill of health I think you'd have a good machine..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I just hate to stick a new bale bed on a pickup with 150k miles but maybe they're good for 250k?

As long as it's been maintained, the truck should be fine.

Don't worry about the bale bed. You can put it on 3-4 more trucks after you wear this one out... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,522
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.