Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
So I've had a few tests run the last couple of days, and am headed for a CT scan tomorrow. Blood revealed a high calcium level, and I have the symptoms to go along with it.......loss of appetite, nausea, excessive thirst,unexplained weight losss, etc. If anyone can shed some light on treatment effectiveness, recovery time, etc please advise. I'm sure the CT scan will reveal more than I know right now. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thinking of you bud. Hope it's something silly.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ask for a PTH-intact blood lab

That will measure your parathyroid hormone. That communicates with the kidneys to modulate calcium levels in the body.

If you have secondary hyper-parathyroidism, is can leach calcium from the bones and deposit that mineralization in other parts of the body. Like the heart or brain, etc.

There are medications of that is the diagnosis and they. An also remove 3 of the 4 paraT glands or all of them.

Secondary hyperparathyroid can be related to renal insufficiency,

Primary hyperparathyroid, I’m not sureof it’s causes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dang typos, sorry bout those

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It could be a bunch of things. Overactive parathyroid is a good guess. Maybe due to cancer in thyroid area. Could be other cancers also.
Bad to have high calcium, causes kidney damage, confusion, headaches, depression, sweating. Put me in the hospital for a couple weeks.
They looked at my prostrate for cancer, and my bladder, so I got a camera up my unit. Not a fun month. My calcium was 11.0. Good luck.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Here is blood test results. Might as well be Chinese, but I know they weren't great numbers.

CREATININE 1.55
EGFR IF NONAFRICN AM 49
EGFR IF AFRICN AM 56
CALCIUM 10.2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Usually caused by benign tumors on the parathyroid gland(s).

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, let's let them find out what's causing it first, pal.

Sorry but I guess it will be a long weekend.

This is the time to trust in HIM and remember to be still and give HIM some time to work.

Hard to not worry. Impossible at times it seems to me.

Take care, GOD bless and be well. You're in many of our prayers.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wishing the best for you, Pard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Here is blood test results. Might as well be Chinese, but I know they weren't great numbers.

CREATININE 1.55
EGFR IF NONAFRICN AM 49
EGFR IF AFRICN AM 56
CALCIUM 10.2

Slightly elevated calc

Kidneys look good

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I would repeat the lab before I got too concerned.

Drink a couple bottles of water the morning off. Make sure you’re sufficiently hydrated and repeat that lab.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could be caused by strange form of vitamin d3 in nightshade vegetables that white folk seem to metabolize into calcium deposits and high calcium. Likely the doc will either deny or just don’t know about such things.

Goodluck

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks a bunch guys. Rest assured I'm not looking for sympathy, but your insights, well wishes, prayers, etc are certainly very much appreciated. I'm one of those that's never, ever sick. Never had the flu, rare colds, etc. This is all very foreign territory for me.

Slum, that's another thing. I've had a heckuva time fending off the "cotton mouth" lately, but at the same time urine is not indicative of dehydration. Night time mouth dries out severely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, but as a patient I kinda understand my tests. So this is my understanding.
Creatinnine is good, so I think the kidneys are not damaged, but the EGFR is a ratio of how efficient of protein clearance. So that means you have kidney stress. I think 60 is a good number, but he told me the test has 10% variability.
10.2 calcium is high, should be 8.5 or so.
Like SL said, they should be looking at PTH, for parathyroid activity. Those glands control calcium through calcitriol - free D3 I think. So if they have a infection or cancer they go haywire. If your neck glands are swollen, then that may be a sign. I'm sure they will be touching your neck for swelling.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Could be caused by strange form of vitamin d3 in nightshade vegetables that white folk seem to metabolize into calcium deposits and high calcium. Likely the doc will either deny or just don’t know about such things.

Goodluck
very interesting aside in itself. I will explore that more off to myself

Potatoes
Peppers
Tomatoes

(Nightshades)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks a bunch guys. Rest assured I'm not looking for sympathy, but your insights, well wishes, prayers, etc are certainly very much appreciated. I'm one of those that's never, ever sick. Never had the flu, rare colds, etc. This is all very foreign territory for me.

Slum, that's another thing. I've had a heckuva time fending off the "cotton mouth" lately, but at the same time urine is not indicative of dehydration. Night time mouth dries out severely.

Might include a fasting glucose on that too, (mouth dryness)

just thinking

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
loss of appetite, nausea, excessive thirst, unexplained weight losss,

He has me on ignore.

One of you guys ask him what his fasting blood sugar is after 8 hours not eating. The symptoms in the quote are signs of diabetes, and he just commented again on cotton mouth, " Night time mouth dries out severely", which is another tell-tale sign.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Terryk
I don't know, but as a patient I kinda understand my tests. So this is my understanding.
Creatinnine is good, so I think the kidneys are not damaged, but the EGFR is a ratio of how efficient of protein clearance. So that means you have kidney stress. I think 60 is a good number, but he told me the test has 10% variability.
10.2 calcium is high, should be 8.5 or so.
Like SL said, they should be looking at PTH, for parathyroid activity. Those glands control calcium through calcitriol - free D3 I think. So if they have a infection or cancer they go haywire. If your neck glands are swollen, then that may be a sign. I'm sure they will be touching your neck for swelling.

You get extra EGFR credit if you’re black. (Like extra 4-5 points)

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

He has me on ignore.

One of you guys ask him what his fasting blood sugar is after 8 hours not eating. The symptoms in the quote are signs of diabetes, and he just commented again on cotton mouth, " Night time mouth dries out severely", which is another tell-tale sign.

Thanks for the reply Elk. I should have mentioned that.....the first thing they did was the diabetes tests, and all that checked out great, so he ruled that out. Urine and blood sugar levels were very good. Like you, I would have be my bottom dollar that was what I had.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/18/20.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

He has me on ignore.

Thanks for the reply Elk. I should have mentioned that.....the first thing they did was the diabetes tests, and all that checked out great, so he ruled that out. Urine and blood sugar levels were very good. Like you, I would have be my bottom dollar that was what I had.

Y/W

Might consider another blood test, and the results to come from a "different lab". Instruments can get out of calibration sometimes, and to double check results before being bombarded by the high doses of RAD from the CT Scan.

Look on the bright side, at least you know your nausea isn't from being pregnant.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.