Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
My 11 y/o grandson has been keeping me sane during the pandemic by letting me take him fishing once a week. A couple weeks ago we ran up to the Elkhorn and were having a great time catching some nice cats - blues and channels. He drifted a chubb under a beaver felled tree right off the bank and something hit it and took off. A minute later a big silver fish shot out of the water and put up quite a fight jumping and making some impressive runs. He brought it into the shallows and landed it. He thought he'd caught some alien species. Nope, just a really big goldeye. I've always viewed them as a trash fish and usually either toss them back or chop them up for bait. This was the biggest one I'd ever seen and for kicks and giggles did a quick weight and measure with the Wally World fish scale. It was about 23" long and almost 7" deep and pulled the scale to just under the 5# mark. Took a quick hero picture with him holding it and tossed it back.

Now the rest of the story. I had sometime this week because of the rain and storms to play on the computer and just for kicks looked up the state record fish. The state record goldeye is just under 4# and was less than 21" long.

I am pretty sure I tossed my grandson's state record fish back into the river. I think that may drag down my "Who's the better grandpa' " poll numbers for quite a while. frown

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
GB4

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Damn. He coulda been famous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that really sucks.so wheres the picture of this monster?

Last edited by srwshooter; 06/19/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You know where the fish lives, go back and let him get it again!!!!!!

Last edited by muffin; 06/19/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by srwshooter

You fellas' aren't being real helpful here...I need excuses damn it!

I used his phone to take all of the hero pics that day so he could text them to his friends.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He can still get a Master Angler award. But I bet when you show them the picture it will not be a Goldeye. Probably a hybrid.

Swifty
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
So, uh, what bait? smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't tell him!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
He can still get a Master Angler award. But I bet when you show them the picture it will not be a Goldeye. Probably a hybrid.

Swifty, I thought of the Master Angler award right away, but since he's not 16 y/o he isn't eligible for one. What kind of hybrid are you thinking of?

jaguartx, I call them chubs or just minnows. There is a small lake just off the river that a creek feeds into. Right off the road is a shallow pool which is usually full of minnows of all kinds. We bait a minnow trap with bread balls and toss it in there and let it set for about an hour and usually get 10-12 nice size minnows. The ones I like are shorter and stockier than some but they are hardy and seem to work. The little sliver ones are flashy but the small channel cats grab them and swallow them whole so I have to replace the whole leader assembly. Even circle hooks don't help. He even caught a carp and I caught a walleye using the silver minnows?

Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Sako76
Don't tell him!

That's been my strategy thus far, but I feel like a real CS for not letting him know.
I like Swifty's approach...it wasn't really a state record...just some freak hybrid that happened along...not worth worrying about.

Kaywoodie
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats...anyway.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Honestly, get your hands on those pics. If there are enough and they can verify the date then take measurements of the boy's hands, they might be able to verify the length and girth to at least establish a "catch and release" record.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ha Ha! Just bumped up my rating! 😁👍🏻

I help them catch panfish and they give me hero status..

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/19/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by Sako76
Don't tell him!

That's been my strategy thus far, but I feel like a real CS for not letting him know.
I like Swifty's approach...it wasn't really a state record...just some freak hybrid that happened along...not worth worrying about.

Not acceptable. Challenge him to catch it again. The time spent together, trying for a record, will become family folklore. Good luck.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Honestly, get your hands on those pics. If there are enough and they can verify the date then take measurements of the boy's hands, they might be able to verify the length and girth to at least establish a "catch and release" record.

Yup, especially if you took a pic of the weight. Could still get a writeup somewhere. Story that Grandson will remember his entire life.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Truth, almost always is best. Catch and reel ease is aok.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by srwshooter

You fellas' aren't being real helpful here...I need excuses damn it!.

That blankety blank Wally World fish scale is in centimeters, not inches!!! And it doesn't weigh right!!

I'm taking it back!

(That's the excuse part. But the truth will come out and that storm will be worse).

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Du bist einer Dummkopf.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

This is a really good idea! I hadn’t thought of that...I even know someone at the NGPC that might be able to help me. Thank You!

Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Du bist einer Dummkopf.

Ja, ich weiß, dass!!!

Kaywoodie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,914
Posts18,479,587
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.