-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The outsider owned Denali Lodge spent quite a bit to copy it for their brewpub or some such... maybe they can double their serving space if they drag it there....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
They should move it to Black Rock City and charge admission.

Brilliant!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why not Jim Creek?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Why not Jim Creek?

Cause the locals would think it is just another TV to shoot.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
HECK , MOVE IT TO ANCHORAGE !! You could rnt it out to at least 6 family of beaners.....

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I heard yesterday there is consideration what to do with it - " probably a museum somewhere".

WTF- a scrap yard takes junk. Junk isn't worthy of emulation or a showcase. Cube it and send it to Japan. It can come back as an operational vehicle.

Not that there isn't already plenty of junk in museums, etc.

Ever notice how a centuries-old campfire ring is a "historical artifact", but you can get your rear in trouble for making a new one? Ironic, at best.

There is an old bus above the forks of Healy Creek, sort of across the way. Lynn Castle drove it up there for a hunting camp, I heard. I've stayed in it, sheep hunting. Comfy,(spring beds) but some butthole knocked the windows out. Nothing a little visqueen and duct tape won't fix for a short stay. BTDT.

You can glass for sheep and caribou right from the bus, and I have. A much nicer proposition from what I have heard (never been there) of the Bus to Nowhere,

Last edited by las; 06/21/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Why not Jim Creek?

Cause the locals would think it is just another TV to shoot.

Exactly.
grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
When that movie came out, I was living in Eugene (yes) and went to see it, like the premier or some damned thing. All the old hippies were just gushing with old hippy cheer. "What a wonderful story" "This is what it means to be free" "He was so brave".... grin

the same ones that think Tim Tredwell was a griz expert.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Darwin is going on vacation.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
I heard yesterday there is consideration what to do with it - " probably a museum somewhere".

WTF- a scrap yard takes junk. Junk isn't worthy of emulation or a showcase. Cube it and send it to Japan. It can come back as an operational vehicle.

Ever notice how a centuries-old campfire ring is a "historical artifact", but you can get your rear in trouble for making a new one? Ironic, at best.

There is an old bus above the forks of Healy Creek, sort of across the way. Lynn Castle drove it up there for a hunting camp, I heard. I've stayed in it, sheep hunting. Comfy,(spring beds) but some butthole knocked the windows out. Nothing a little visqueen and duct tape won't fix for a short stay. BTDT.

You can glass for sheep and caribou right from the bus, and I have. A much nicer proposition from what I have heard (never been there) of the Bus to Nowhere,

I’ve been there too. I’ve shot several rams in the area and I arrowed a nice big ‘almost’ B&C ram a mile or so from there in 2004, I camped outside of that bus a couple nights. I stash a bunch food in there and haul a camp around there hunting for a couple days at a time. Russel Annabel used to hunt there, he wrote about his hunts there. I’ve found some old camps up on the sides of the mountains, wondered if any were his. I was told that bus was dragged in behind a dozer while thy made that old trail in the mid 50’s. There’s a carcass of and old bulldozer over the pass in the Wood River area, could be the one that dragged the bus in maybe. When I first saw that bus in the mid 80s, there was a chain hooked up under it, like it had been dragged.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ah, refreshed memory! I think I was told at one time it was dragged up as u say, not driven.

Thanks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Originally Posted by las

I’ve been there too. I’ve shot several rams in the area and I arrowed a nice big ‘almost’ B&C ram a mile or so from there in 2004, I camped outside of that bus a couple nights. I stash a bunch food in there and haul a camp around there hunting for a couple days at a time. Russel Annabel used to hunt there, he wrote about his hunts there. I’ve found some old camps up on the sides of the mountains, wondered if any were his. I was told that bus was dragged in behind a dozer while thy made that old trail in the mid 50’s. There’s a carcass of and old bulldozer over the pass in the Wood River area, could be the one that dragged the bus in maybe. When I first saw that bus in the mid 80s, there was a chain hooked up under it, like it had been dragged.

Any more info on the move in? When they made the trail? Sorry, don't know the area. Did they drag it across the river? (Down South here, lol).

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trail goes way back to gold rush days IIRC......early 20th century stuff......miners working the Kantishna country.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The killer bus trail? Dunno - probably Vern nailed it.

The Healy Creek bus was just dragged up the stream bed. I've taken my 4X4 truck to the Healy Cr. forks - as far as legally allowed for any vehicles, still miles shy of that bus. Tho I've seen a-holes up to the bus on 4 wheelers. Tempted to put a round into their machines when they were away, but I overcame the urge.

Troopers/game wardens have been known to park a vehicle at the forks as a deterrent to further travel upstream during hunting season.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stampede Trail is the (previous) home of the tard bus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede_Trail

I'll go haul a shrine in so there is something to see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Stampede Trail is the (previous) home of the tard bus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede_Trail

Just go stack some prayer rocks...

Maybe make it look like a grave...

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just buy the heli pilots a beer for having to risk their ass for more foolishness.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cwh2

Thanks... Pretty good Wiki.

Maybe post up some pics (on the shrine) of edible plants too....

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
List of safe berries to eat: All.

Originally Posted by VernAK
Just buy the heli pilots a beer for having to risk their ass for more foolishness.

I'd be happy to! Although if removing the bus slows down the pace of rescue operations on the trail, it might be worth it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having been to that bus several times over the years, i'm glad to see it gone. The damn thing wasn't serving any purpose out there other than getting idiots in trouble, it was an eyesore. Someone should put a sign at the parking lot letting people know that it's gone because sure as [bleep] someone is going to go out there thinking it's still there and will be in need of rescue. With the bus being gone now, someone will have a nice spot for a hunting camp come moose season.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.