R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With a video camera

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colored individual in the lumber yard!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the quick read the op posted, my first thought was he has a better offer

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RemModel8
I'd drive the road again.

I like the way you think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My spidey senses would say you're [bleep]. But based on the OP it sounds like there were some warnings up front that you chose to look past. Hope he shows up Monday, but doubt it.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Obviously he does have legal title to the property since there is a title company involved. What amazes me is that you agreed to buy it sight unseen except what you say you only saw once from a road that you drove down. That does not seem right to me. Surely there is more to the story. A lot more. You say that your wife is a lawyer, but real estate is not her expertise. OK, I get the expertise part, but basic principles of law are basic principles of law. I don't know what state you are in, but I have some experience with Texas real estate. It is rare, but I have known of two cases of a seller backing out of a transaction before closing. Theoretically, the buyer could have sued the seller for failure to perform as also could the buyer's agent. Also, earnest money would have to be returned per the laws regarding such in your state. The reality is if the seller releases the earnest money, the most likely best thing the buyer can do is walk away and forget it. No, it is not right and all those involved loose, but it is usually not worth a big court fight. Again, it is not right, but something is wrong with this picture from the get go, the way you tell it. I sincerely hope things work out for you Monday. However, I think I would be planning on something different. I'm sorry, but I just cannot quite get my head wrapped around why on God's green earth would you buy something you had never seen, and the seller acting bat-chit crazy as well? Best of luck to you.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I understand your post he has signed a contract to sell you the property. If so and if your wife is a lawyer why don't you go forthwith into court and ask the judge to enforce the contract? I guess there could be issues such as community property and she didn't sign or a lien on the land. Either you have a contract or you don't. Do you?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I live 6 blocks from where the land is. I onx mapped it and google. The owner took me on a utv tour and showed me the 4 corners surveyed. Took about 10 mins. I drove my wife out there in rain same day in jeep. We stayed on main road. Looked maybe 5 mins. The land was perfect 100 acres of mature tree and two ponds and food plots. That was the last time, I was allowed on it. I know its not been logged or molested. Its been in his family since 1920.

I dont think the title company should of let us close if they were not there. I think his wife is a drama queen and is causing an issue. If need be we will sue them. I just never had anyone back out and not show to closing. He was getting $325,000 free and clear.

Last edited by H5farm; 06/19/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope it turns out. Sorry but I’d be worried.

The guy we bought our place from tried to take stuff that was included in the sale and then thought we didn’t take possession until 2 weeks after closing. When I caught him trying to take included stuff his response was he didn’t read the contract.🤪

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tick bite sounds legit; bide your time or it may cost you attorney fees.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he hasn't lied to you yet, I think he'll sign monday. A court would not make a person transfer title to you, but im sure your wife has mentioned specific Performance, damages, erc. He'll sign.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope he hasn’t presold the timber out from under you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
If he hasn't lied to you yet, I think he'll sign monday. A court would not make a person transfer title to you, but im sure your wife has mentioned specific Performance, damages, erc. He'll sign.

Really? You cannot enforce a buy/sell contract? That is the purpose of a contract I thought.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Really? You cannot enforce a buy/sell contract? That is the purpose of a contract I thought.

Sure he can. But if OP wants the land and not money damages (which he might not be able to collect) he should see a competent local lawyer about filing a lis pendens ASAP.

abusus non tollit usum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dad made his living with apartments. As a result, I grew up in a house with a lot of real-estate stuff flying in the air. That does not make me an expert by any means, but it does give me at least an emotional cue. After growing up with it, you learn when dinner's going to be peaceful or a $hitstorm. You learn to guess whether the deal is going down or not.

My gut reaction to this is much like the others. The seller's wife is the unseen force driving this thing to go sideways.

Given that the purchase of their new property is contingent on the sale of this, the seller has his balls in a vice. He's going to have to sign or else his house of cards is going to fall. I saw this happen once with a neighbor that was over-extended on his real-estate deals. He damn-near lost the whole kaboodle and this would have undoubtedly triggered a divorce as well. $325K in hand is a powerful incentive.

BTW: before I go further in this, let me just say that when Dad would get a situation like this, his normal instinct would be to walk away from the deal. I'm not saying this is the best way to go; I'm just saying Dad's way of looking at it was that once you see a fin in the water, you get out. You don't wait to see if it is a shark. Mom was, even more, this way, but her reactions were always based on honesty/dishonesty. She would not deal with deceit.

Let me just throw a possible motive into this. This is one I've seen happen. I was involved in a version of this scenario with my ex, Satan, but the motivations were reversed. Seller's wife (we'll call her Jane) has property that has been in the family since 1920. That's easily a pre-marital asset. Seller (Bob) wants to sell it off and move to the big new place nearby. In the midst of all this, somebody whispers to Jane that if she allows the sale of the property, then she loses her pre-marital asset designation on the funds and the whole thing goes into the communal property bucket. Things may or may not be completely kosher in their marriage. Bob may or may not be motivated by this. However, Jane may begin to think Bob is making a play to get half the value of the family farm.

Me? I found myself about 2 years before my separation from Satan going to house showings for no good reason. Satan kept pushing to move even when the house was not as good as the current one. The reason became clear when we separated. I bought the house with assets I'd brought into the marriage. She had not put in a dime. She'd been gunning for the pre-marital assets I'd thrown into the current house. If we bought a new house, she'd now have claim to half. It all came out in our divorce. She kept trying to get what was obviously pre-marital assets assigned to her. Since then, I've seen versions of this show up in other divorce fights. Somebody must have written a book on it. This may be Bob's gambit. Jane may have figured it out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman

Given that the purchase of their new property is contingent on the sale of this, the seller has his balls in a vice. He's going to have to sign or else his house of cards is going to fall. I saw this happen once with a neighbor that was over-extended on his real-estate deals. He damn-near lost the whole kaboodle and this would have undoubtedly triggered a divorce as well. $325K in hand is a powerful incentive.

Henry Seale assumed you had a title search showing a clear title.
I will ask that question.

Do you?

With no contingencies like timber?

How about another move to consider:
Find the plot on the river he is looking at and work a deal to at least avoid your potential tax consequences...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 06/20/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Probably just a combination of cold feet and his being an a-hole.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Guys a nut job. Contact a good RE Attorney and contact your 1031 intermediary for advise if the deal doesnt happen Monday. If your attorney cant spook the guy into closing by threat of sueing for specific performance. Assuming you have a good contract. Your ability to enforce is only as good as your contract. Getting tied upnin a lawsuit for months or years will effect your 1031 so get advise on that. Cleanest way out is to walk away and find another property if possible. If not then your in for a real pain in the butt..

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by H5farm
I recently bought 100 acres from a guy in a land purchase. He lives on a county road that is more or less private as only his house and another land owner live on the road. The land in this area is highly sought after and is 4 minutes from town. I approached him about buying some land and he laughed in my face. Then a month later he called me wanting to sell out. He was supposedly going to sell me 100 acres and sell some land on another road that backs up to his place in total he was selling about 180 acres including my purchase. He found a new place on the river and he was using the money from both land sales to purchase it out right. My wife even helped him with the contract on his new purchase as she is a lawyer.

After we signed our contract, He asked that I respect his privacy and not go on the property until the deal was done. Only once in the last month did I even drive down the road the property is on which, I notified him I was going to do. He said it was ok to do that, however when I drove past and turned around to leave as the road dead ends he flagged me down and chewed my ass for coming down the road and upsetting his wife. I apologized and left. This land has been in his family since 1920 and has some sentimental value.

Time has gone on and today was the closing on the land. I was told he and his wife would be there. My wife and I arrived and signed all the papers and I rolled 250K in a 10-31 farm deal into it and got a loan for $75k to buy it. I also sold most of my equipment from my old farm as I would not need most of it on this new place as it is mostly timber. Anyways, He did not show to sign. I was told he and his wife would now come on Monday to sign. I asked him if everything was ok with our deal and why he did not show to sign. He said his wife was bit by a tick a few days ago and didn't feel good. He said she had improved today. The title people offered to take the paper work out to them to sign at their home. They refused. I asked him if me and my family could go out to the land and look around as I was only allowed to see it one day for 15 minutes. I was never allowed back on the place. He said no. He said his wife wants her privacy and they would go and sign the papers Monday morning.

Some how, I don't believe this is going to happen. He will blow 3 contracts and be sued by all involved and the title company if he does not sign. I am out thousands of dollars in closing costs and now only have 4 months to find land or pay taxes due to the 10-31 deal.

I was very calm and said ok, Monday is fine. I hope she feels better. I have my house that I live in listed for sale and a floor planned and builder lined up for this property to build a new house and live on. I have alot invested in this deal due to it being in the right school district for my two kids. Am I going to get screwed on this deal??????

Follow the contracts rules in your jurisdiction. I will also suggest your wife is potentially conflicted out for writing paperwork like she did. NOT a good idea. Read your purchase and sale agreement carefully. That document is THE deal.

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not much can be done before Monday.
Go fishing or some other distraction, no need to tie yourself in knots when you have no control at this point.
With wife in the business, even if not a property attorney she should know someone if it comes to that.
Sounded like they guy was a little odd from initial contact, as written. his odd behavior now may just be who he is.
Also sounds like you may have damages, loss of 1031 benefits. Was seller aware of the 1031 implication?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,225
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.