Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting subject, writing.

I remember when I began to frequent sites such as this one back in 1999. Most of the writing I saw was awful. It seemed that no one knew or cared about grammar, punctuation, complete sentences, or clarity. Contrasting that with what I see 21 years later, the difference is really remarkable. Maybe practice has made the difference.

I can't say whether my writing has improved over the last 13 years, but I've had to learn to be much more conscientious in my writing over that time. This began when I took on my current and ongoing project, which requires a lot of correspondence with German nationals who happen to be engineers for the most part. I found out early on that if there is a way to misconstrue an intended meaning, they will certainly find and employ it. I often compose an email then save a draft for review a few minutes later, editing several times before finally sending it. An email the length of this post often takes two hours to compose and edit.

Edit: actually, this post looks much longer than it actually is when viewed on my phone. It looks like a lot less text on a PC.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ma spellin suks. Ya gotta cut me sum slak cus ah be lerned ta spel in da publik skoos. laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great question and thread.

I've had more notable trouble with liner thought, and as such my writing...sucks.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Nuns made me stay after and practice that stuff...I can never remember if I use too many commas, or not enough. Teachers and I went round and round about that at times. At least I attempt to use punctuation, unlike some other members of the 'fire.

The sisters worked daily for,
The Father,
The Son,
And the Holy Ghost.
Not Simon and Shuster,
Or the Huffington Post.

Commas are, for editors, to check.,

You have always used the correct amount, but others have used more, or less...more or less.

Thank you kind Sir,

Commas amaze me.

Seems the Euro folks like to use them instead of periods at times, as in 1,005" which in European I do believe means one and five thousandths inches, not one thousand five inches.

My CZ and Swedes shoot 9,3mm and 6,5mm projectiles according to the folks on the other side of the pond.

And what's with the Mexicans and Spaniards and such. Upside down question and exclamation marks??? What's up with that. At least I got an early start in writing Spanish and sorta know where to put those and accent marks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
With the evolution of language, and because of the ongoing confusion, dashes have entered into the magical equation of language.

For some reason, fewer people have problems with dashes.

With the evolution of language - and because of the ongoing confusion - dashes have entered into the magical equation of language.

Dashes help - until an editor changes some into commas. There are still rules after all. smile
Dashes help, until an editor changes some into commas.

I would have loved to have a one on one conversation with Elmer Keith's editors.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I have had conversations with people who edited Elmer Keith's typewritten copy. More than one has said that (perhaps due a quirk in his typewriter) the word "shot" often appeared with an "i" instead of the "o". This is understandable, since "i" and "o" are next to each other on the standard keyboard.

I wrote Elmer around 40 years ago, when I was getting a 1903 Springfield rebored to .338 OKH, asking about loads. I still have his letter, and while it isn't perfectly typed, unfortunately it does not contain that particular error.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slumlord says I write like shiet !

😁😁

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve,

it has always amazed me listening to folks read aloud something I was reading along with them to myself.

Commas, semicolons, periods, and yes - even dashes mean something when reading. Exclamation points TOO!

I'd be willing to bet teaching that stuff went out the window along with memorizing the times tables.

Reading and editing Elmer, or anyone else for that matter, might get interesting. And could be fun - maybe?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I-O mistakes happen to me frequently John.

Due to the wonders of modern technology I can correct it easily enough with a "backspace".

Thank the powers that be I no longer have to type on mom's old Remington.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My mother had beautiful handwriting, even when she did not know her own name.

That gene missed me by a mile.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
John, I read that Elmer got the words out, but left it to the editor to.polish. I'll write the damn story and you make it look pretty!

Punctuation has changed markedly. You. Can. Write. Like. Bill. Shatner.

Or socialmedia write and never bother with puncticating because it makes things faster to write so they say.

Or, if you're older, remember what Miss Grammar Lady tried to teach you. smile

Or, OMG, rite texty! lol.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
u r fny

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the evolution of language, and because of the ongoing confusion, dashes have entered into the magical equation of language.

With the evolution of language - and because of the ongoing confusion - dashes have entered into the magical equation of language.

Dashes help - until an editor changes some into commas. There are still rules after all. smile

I would have loved to have a one on one conversation with Elmer Keith's editors.

The recent change I have encountered which bothers me unreasonably is the substitution of periods in place of dashes which separate parts of a phone number.
Jim

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

The recent change I have encountered which bothers me unreasonably is the substitution of periods in place of dashes which separate parts of a phone number.
Jim

Yes, that can be annoying. Some others want the 10 numbers - xxxxxxxxxx - with no dashes or periods.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bob338
Mine is illegible, even if I print!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

But if the OP is referring to written work-i.e. articles/presentations etc. that I can type out on the computer, then my writing, like a fine wine, has improved with age.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you imagine learning to write left handed at 58 years old? I couldn’t write right handed legible to begin with!! 😁

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.