Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well, that explains ... something.

Anyway, the story told to me by the gunsmith who did my action job was that the factory installed frame-mounted firing pin was generally fine out of the box and especially when using factory ammo.

But he was installing a lighter (by a little) hammer spring and he knew I was a handloader who favored Federal primers. His belief was that Federals were a little harder than primers used in most factory ammo.

Was he right? Dunno for sure. I didn't do the testing.

Anyway, with the lightened hammer spring and the new firing pin sticking out of the frame just a little bit more than the original - but not far enough to pierce the primers - it goes bang every time.

I trusted him, rest his soul. He's gone now.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Well, that explains ... something.

Anyway, the story told to me by the gunsmith who did my action job was that the factory installed frame-mounted firing pin was generally fine out of the box and especially when using factory ammo.

But he was installing a lighter (by a little) hammer spring and he knew I was a handloader who favored Federal primers. His belief was that Federals were a little harder than primers used in most factory ammo.

Was he right? Dunno for sure. I didn't do the testing.

Anyway, with the lightened hammer spring and the new firing pin sticking out of the frame just a little bit more than the original - but not far enough to pierce the primers - it goes bang every time.

I trusted him, rest his soul. He's gone now.

Actually, Federal primers are a little more sensitive than others.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10 years ago I could never have said "Taurus can't be any worse". I imagine SW profit margin and volume in the semiauto pistols is so great the revolvers have become a red haired step child, we may see them phased out entirely in the future.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
10 years ago I could never have said "Taurus can't be any worse". I imagine SW profit margin and volume in the semiauto pistols is so great the revolvers have become a red haired step child, we may see them phased out entirely in the future.

Their 442, and the stainless version of it, sell like hotcakes. I doubt they will ever drop those.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Their 442, and the stainless version of it, sell like hotcakes. I doubt they will ever drop those.

Pretty much this. The last Smith I bought not made before the end of Reagans first term would be a 642. It runs well, shoots to the sights, and is fairly well finished.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They pretty well fill a particular concealed carry niche.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
taurus makes a lw 5 shot revolver as well, given the price of about $300-400 for most tauri, the decidedly difficult task of hair splitting accuracy with any 2 inch barreled, 10 pound trigger pull revolver, the $5-600 general price category of the smith, their current poor quality then it becomes more difficult to choose between the two.

I just want to add, the accuracy comment was for normal people, most people on the campfire can shoot thrown aspirins out of the air with a DAO 38 special.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We own mostly older S&W pre lock pre MIM revolvers. I have a newer 442 (no lock) that is fitted up nicely, no issues.

The problem I encounter with the older ones is parts (scarce to non existent). Hands are getting really hard to find, hammer noses and rivets more so.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by McInnis
Does anyone know if they have one anymore? I don't think they test fire their guns at the factory. They used to because with a new revolver you would get a spent cartridge you could register with your county sheriff if you live in California, but apparently that's gone by the wayside.

I've had some issues with the newer S&W revolvers in the past few years, but this last one takes the cake. I bought a new 5" model 629 around the first of May. The cylinder jammed on about the third round, and every few rounds after that. Before taking it to a gunsmith I tried a factory round because I knew he would ask about that. The very first one jammed.

He said that the firing pin bushing was just slightly recessed and I could see that the rounds I fired had the primers protruding just enough to lock up the cylinder. Sometimes it was hard to even force the cylinder open. If they had test fired just a round or two at the factory they would have discovered this flaw.

I was lucky that the store I bought it from agreed to ship it back to S&W since I took it back to them the day after buying it. And it came back to me repaired this past week. I guess I should feel lucky, but really disappointed with Smith and Wesson. Their revolvers have been my favorite class of gun, but I doubt I'll ever buy another new one.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

I have shot Alfa-Proj 9x19 extensively. The only minus was that after 300 rounds the gun had to be cleaned (especially cylinder chambers) because it was difficult to insert cartridges or extract cases. Other then that no problemos. If one wants steel revolver this Czech brand is worth a look.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i bought two of the 642's for my wife and daughter. the one labeled "ladysmith" worked fine out of the box. the other one would lock up if you squeezed the trigger slow (like a girl). i dry fired it a couple thousand times and it cleared up. my 29-8 mountain gun is a really nice gun in form and function. sad to hear about the issues people had with the 69's. if i buy another centerfire revolver, that was going to be the one.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 3,417 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.