Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I rescued a half Terrier/something 23lbs about 16 years ago..The best 75 dollars I've ever spent ! Anyway....in the morning it's taking awhile for him to get going..Arthritis/whatever. What should I be looking for to help him with the pain? I thought I heard something about being careful with a smaller Dog as far as dosage goes? Any advice would be appreciated. This is mostly a morning thing, he does better as the day goes on. I would say he has about 1-2 years more...

P.S Not interested in CBD. Thanks Guy's!

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gave my older dog glucosamine that seemed to help.

Ask your vet about Rimadyl too. It's a pain reliever.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
1. Glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. This stuff was developed for greyhounds and it works well for people, too. I take 4 pills a day, give the dog one.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-500-400-200-mg-240-tabs

2. Linseed oil. Put a couple tablespoons of it on his food every day.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Cosequin is at Walmart & Costco... one pill a day is what we give our 24lb terrier mix rescue mut.

His front foot bothers him, and it helps him a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've given glucosamine to three of our dogs and, yes, it does seem to help.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have a detailed conversation with your vet about Rimadyl before deciding whether or not to use it. Some older dogs (especially bird dogs) can experience sudden, irreversible kidney failure as a side effect to that drug.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My ancient serpent dog cookie is on carpovet.
Flavored chewable.
He gobbles it up, Rico and Blackjack are jealous of it.

It helps him alot with arthritis and spine spondylosis stuff.

Non steroidal anti inflammatory pain releiver.
Also takes a thyroid med.
He gobbles that med down now, I used to have stick it on the back of his tongue and close his muzzle.
He looks forward to taking his meds now actually.
Knows it for him and him only.
I give them both to him at bedtime.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/22/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My wife has our 14 year old dogs on glucosamine and turmeric (natural anti-inflammatory). The lab mix has torn ligaments in both knees but is steadily improving.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Galiprant is a wonder drug but it is expensive.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have been using CBD oil for our 17 year old female. 5 ml every night. Works very well. Not sure if you folks can get that over the counter down there as a pain relief.

Hugh
IC B3

B
B
Dasuquin by Nutramax! I have an older boxer with spondylosis & arthritis and this supplement had her playing like a puppy again. I did not realize how much pain the dog must have been in until she had been taking Dasuquin for a week or two, wow it was like a different dog. The stuff's a bit pricey but all natural and no side effects. Amazing AMAZING supplement, just make sure to get it from your vet and not from Amazon... apparently there are knockoffs being sold under the same packaging and you can't trust what you buy online and won't see the same results. (BTW I've been a lurker for quite a while but finally created a logon just to post this, so it goes to show ya how strongly I feel about this stuff... it gave my sweet old dog a new lease on life.) Good luck with whatever you try for your dog AKCHOPPER!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Fish Oil and vitamin E.Both are good for in dogs and peeps.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdee
Dasuquin by Nutramax! I have an older boxer with spondylosis & arthritis and this supplement had her playing like a puppy again. I did not realize how much pain the dog must have been in until she had been taking Dasuquin for a week or two, wow it was like a different dog. The stuff's a bit pricey but all natural and no side effects. Amazing AMAZING supplement, just make sure to get it from your vet and not from Amazon... apparently there are knockoffs being sold under the same packaging and you can't trust what you buy online and won't see the same results. (BTW I've been a lurker for quite a while but finally created a logon just to post this, so it goes to show ya how strongly I feel about this stuff... it gave my sweet old dog a new lease on life.) Good luck with whatever you try for your dog AKCHOPPER!

Birdee..........

welcome.

If you've been lurking for any length of time, you know the routine.

Be Prepared.

AKCHOPPER,

And yes, our old girl, about the same size as yours, gets the Dasuquin now as she had xrays that show no cartilage in her mid back vertebrae. Seems to help.
Might want to look into Vit C too, and when it gets bad enough the meloxicam/rimadyl/NSAIDs can get them along for a while longer. Had an old dog we took camping once and forgot her pills. One of the worst things I think we ever did to the poor girl.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dasuquin with MSM for small dogs, its not cheap but it is the best and it works.

The best online pet supply I've found is is Jeffers Pet in Dothan, Alabama...I've been using them for years. Quick order processing and shipping, better service and prices, and shipping is free after the first $49.

Link

Phil

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I rescued a half Terrier/something 23lbs about 16 years ago..The best 75 dollars I've ever spent ! Anyway....in the morning it's taking awhile for him to get going..Arthritis/whatever. What should I be looking for to help him with the pain? I thought I heard something about being careful with a smaller Dog as far as dosage goes? Any advice would be appreciated. This is mostly a morning thing, he does better as the day goes on. I would say he has about 1-2 years more...

P.S Not interested in CBD. Thanks Guy's!

Might be tough to come by where you are. But acupuncture has worked very well for myself and my dog in the past.

Buddy that is one of the best vets I have ever worked with/known started doing acupuncture 20+ years ago to try and give him an option for arthritic and painful dogs.

At the time, rimadyl was the go-to for dogs. But it has its own issues. I have seen the benefit it did for my older dog. Felt the benefit for me, particularly for tendonitis.

Other than that, there would be some anti-inflammatory drugs out there. Do not use ibuprofen. Don't use anything else someone recommends that isn't labeled for dogs or unless your vet says it is safe for dogs.

Good luck.

Montana MOFO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.