-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the African Honey Badger raciss by its nature?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
That was a calm hive relatively. It gets waaaay worse...

I have never had the desire to keep bees. After that video, and especially after Greg’s comments, I can safely say it’s not going on my bucket list anytime soon.

Distilled version: F that!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickBin
That was a calm hive relatively. It gets waaaay worse...

I have never had the desire to keep bees. After that video, and especially after Greg’s comments, I can safely say it’s not going on my bucket list anytime soon.

Distilled version: F that!

Only been on three pet fatality calls thus far this year. But the year is young.....grin...

At least no dead people yet....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think he did a great job narrating viewers through it.

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

I think he did the right the plan of action. If he was comfortable with the final outcome, they’re his bees, I support him 100%

Although I would not have hesitated or lamented as much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting.

I plan to watch the rest later when I have time.
Did he say where he lived?
If he's in southern Texas that's one thing. If they made their way to Ohio, we're in for a long few years once this hits......

Some day this will be common. There will be all kinds of wildlife becoming aggressive toward people.
Bible prophecy.

First the Killer bees going north while they breed with honey bees, now the murder hornets are established in California.

Murder hornet sting and bee "decapitations:"

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am a real bee newby but he has a very pronounced anxiety that the bees can read. He is uncertain around them and he approaches them like adversaries. Bees are wild but are guided by our interactions by them. It is a very hot hive but the fact that he is just using a bee jacket and is ham fisted is a mystery to me. I think he actually hams it up a bit and acts a bit so that those bees are mad as hell. How do you lose your queen during a check off of a frame on to the ground? He has lots of views and I think that he wanted to crank up the view count by taking an aggressive hive of bees and making them respond.

You've never been around Africanized bees have you?

Nope but I have one hot hive of Italians. We have been having rainy, cold weather alternating with hot sun and afternoon thunderstorms and I have slutest Italian queen since Madonna. I started the hive on May 27 with a 5 lb package of bees. I have two brood boxes and two supers and the brood boxes are completely filled with brood and the queen is working up into the honey super and laying up there too. We are talking from three frames to 25 frames of bees in less than a month. They will be more than 100,000 bees by July. I decided to take a frame of the brood to bolster a weaker hive of Russians who are pussy cats in comparison and I decided to do a hive check with just a bee jacket on. Well, I screwed up and didn't have the zippers tight near the veil. I felt one sting and I said nope because I had about 30 bees that followed the first one in. I dumped the jacket on the way to the house, I dumped my t-shirt next, and my pants which were invaded followed by my undergarments because some how the wrong ladies had worked their way in. In the end, I was naked without bees and my wife who was watching the whole episode got stung for good measure. I ended with 4 stings and no reaction. I went in two days later and they were still ticked. I checked if they were going to swarm or were queenless. Negative on both counts. They have about two dozen guard bees at the front of the hive so if I want to get in there I am wearing a full bee suit and I will smoke the hell out of them and shoot them with 1:1 sugar water as well.

His hive was not africanized. He said that he had taken a frame of brood and moved it to another hive and was going to do a split. They were too hot for his apiary so he decided to kill them. They throw a contractor's bag over the top of the hive up here and suffocate them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I guess after reading y'all's comments, I'm going to have to watch the bee expert video.

Tried to get a hive going this year, along with a friend. Got started late and at the last minute found a couple of packages of bees from back east. Long story short, the trip over here did them in. By the time we got them we had 2"-3" of dead bees in the mailing box. They were mailed insured, so my friends will be getting their money back:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I tried to make a go of it with what few were remaining. Seemed like the queen was still alive, so I took them home and got her and them in the box:

We had very cold nights the first two after the bees arrived, so I covered the box with a moving blanket and some plywood to keep the snow and hail off it. A week or so later I still had bees flying in and out, they had a feeder in there too, so I had some hope.

The other day I took a look, not a single bee left, this was all they had managed. A few cells drawn out, some with a bit of pollen in them. Not one brood cell capped even, so I'm guessing if the queen was still alive when I put them in, she might not have made it very long.

My buddy managed to talk his neighbor out of a frame of brood, so perhaps he'll have some luck. The plan next year is to get some bees from a supplier over the hill from here, and I'll drive over and get them. No more trusting the USPS. Of course The Corona slowed the shipment down too, maybe in a normal year they'd have gotten here in a more timely manner.

It's been 25 years since I last had my own hive, I'm hoping to get a few decent ones going before I die. This year was a total bust.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68

K68,
Its not hard to identify an attention seeking
drama queen on Utube (no matter the topic)
But I much appreciate you tuning in as an
experienced apiarist to share your knowledge.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.