Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a little reluctant to put this out lest a certain regular here try to phone shame me again, but I'm on a reg'lar iPhone8..... (no lie, the guy actually asked me what kind of phone I had grin )

I'm safe this time, the 8 CAN'T be the most retarded iPhone out there as WalMart is still selling iPhone6 cases...

Anyways, I've been on iPhones since 2016, this is my second, lost the first.

I've always been using LifeProof cases, kinda steep at $80 but they cover the whole phone, including the camera lens and are waterproof, briefly submergible in fact. What happens after about a year tho is the lens cover gets scratched up and your photos come out foggy.

There;s a plethora of cheap phone cases out there that just snap on but do not cover the screen and/or the camera lens.

Then there's the Otterbox, about $40 and change, not waterproof, covers the screen but leaves the camera lens uncovered.

So... if you buy a phone case that leaves the camera lens bare, ain't the camera lens liable to get all scratched up, or is that glass hard enough it ain't really a problem?

Anyone got any recommendations other than a LifeProof case? I would prefer a blaze orange case, LifeProof doesn't offer that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I figured you for a flip phone and a zip lock sandwich baggie kind of guy.

Maybe I have you confused with the guy that’s had 11 stents and thinks carp are a delicacy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I got phone-shamed a few months ago because I “upgraded” from i5 to i7.
No $hit!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Could be worse

Don’t we have dorks on dial up, using a spare Commodore 64 to help SETI?

Nighthawk...sound off laugh

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Screw the Joneses. I'm still on 5- wish I hadn't lost my 4.... 5 takes better pics tho.

Probably upgrade to a 6 or 7 in a year or two.

And Birdie- you can get used Lifeproofs for older phones on ebay for about $35 usually. That's what I do.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

I was, but I had to upgrade when I took my son and my bicycle to the UK. My other iPhone was an SE. Some high school kid has it now, or else it was tossed into the drainage ditch by the school.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Otter Defender. No better case made for impact protection, IMO. I've never scratched a camera lens on a phone, & I pop out the plastic screen protector on the Defenders - too much dirt gets behind it, rather I use a proper tempered glass screen protector, which easily fits under the defender case.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/24/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got a new phone. Haven't dropped it yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Just got a new phone. Haven't dropped it yet.

I drop mine prob'ly once a week. At school I've seen ninety kazillion cracked phone screens, in fact MOST of them are cracked it looks like.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Otter Defender. No better case made for impact protection, IMO. I've never scratched a camera lens on a phone, & I pop out the plastic screen protector on the Defenders - too much dirt gets behind it, rather I use a proper tempered glass screen protector, which easily fits under the defender case.

THIS

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have used both. Both have their place. Otter box for impact resistance. thicker, more flexible rubber protection. Life Proof for water/submersion protection, and for dust / particulate protection.

While I never had an iPhone crack in a LifeProof case, the Otter box definitely has better padding. However, the open hole in the Otter box screen protector for the iPhone start button is an easy access path for water (eg: in a sweaty pocket while working or exercising) and for particulate debris such as sawdust. PITA to have to pull the Otter box apart every day or two when working on the sawmill to clean the screen. Never had a problem with debris getting INSIDE of a Life Proof case.

My opinion: Otter box for casual phone usage. Life Proof for "Go anywhere. Do anything." type phone usage.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you've gotta have waterproof then the lifeproof is the one to have. I don't need it and I don't like bulky cases so I have a spigen ultra hybrid on mine. Any decent case will have a lip that is above the camera lens so the camera doesn't touch anything when it's laid down, there isn't a need for something to cover the camera lens. Otterboxes are way too bulky, I want mine to fit comfortably in my pocket. Make sure you have a tempered glass screen protector on it, that's saved my screen a couple of times.

Cases in a brick and mortar store have huge markups, you can get a really good one off of amazon or ebay for under $20.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My initial Lifeproof years ago was fantastic; since then the quality has gone to [bleep] and the covering over the camera scratches as birdie notes. I never even made it 6 months with the newer ones ... and lifeproof replaced 3 of them.
My new phone has a pelican case, and so far (4 months) the camera covering is holding up much better. I’m not sure if they are available for the 8 ...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Specks case and a Whitestone Dome glue-on screen protector.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thankyou all for the advice, gonna try the Pelican Marine for $36.77 delivered. Looks a lot like what I was using, the waterproof feature sold me. Didn't come in anything but black tho, which can be about as hard to find and easy to forget as camo crazy

https://pelicanphonecases.com/colle...rine-case-for-apple-iphone-8-clear-black

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by slumlord

*raises hand*

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Magpul case with a screen protector.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Thankyou all for the advice, gonna try the Pelican Marine for $36.77 delivered. Looks a lot like what I was using, the waterproof feature sold me. Didn't come in anything but black tho, which can be about as hard to find and easy to forget as camo crazy

https://pelicanphonecases.com/colle...rine-case-for-apple-iphone-8-clear-black

Amazon has the same case priced from a third to a little less than half that price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.