Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They just can't support modern life any more. The tiny town of Almo, ID is closing it's school. They have 8 students, K-3, 1 teacher, and a bus driver. The teacher will be reassigned. The students will be bused 50 miles, 1 way, to the nearest school. Their budget is $130k but they can't meet it. They say they'll maintain the building for a couple of years but they need 17 students to reopen it and that's highly unlikely. Last year they held some fundraising to keep it open but funding cuts because of the virus were the last straw.
They've been talking about this for 25 years and it's finally had to happen.

We have many schools in other tiny towns that don't make financial sense to keep open but naturally every town wants it's own schools. A school is a town's identity and when it's gone, the town just isn't real any more.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not just the schools, churches, and what business is left.

In the Midwest, the local elevator is the largest thing going.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always romanticize living in such a place but the reality is harsh. Pierce Idaho comes to mind.

*Memory is playing tricks on me. It's not Pierce. It's a small mining town with 8 people 20-30 miles out in the jackpines. Cemetary up on the hill.

I remember driving out there and stopping in the bar and meeting half the people in town there. They told me about the local "hardware store" where anyone could go in and help themselves to what they needed. If you had anything extra take it down there. They told me to go look around. It was in a big barn. I went in and there was all kinds of hardware and misc. There was even a 1950's Packard car in there!

Dang, can't remember the name of that town.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/25/20.

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
How many people live in Almo or around Almo?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now I'm again thinking of Smithville Arkansas, a wide spot on the road, it'd be nice to stop there again.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
How many people live in Almo or around Almo?

The official count is 153 but there aren't enough buildings in town to hold that many. It's unincorporated so that probably includes nearby ranches.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats pretty good sized.....153.

As roads get better and buses get more reliable.........hard to justify the little schools.

We still have country schools in this county. Think two are still going.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How far is your children's school from your home Jim?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a baby, my mother taught at one of those 1 room country schools in a place called Folly Farm, Oregon. Some maps still show the place in the SE corner of the state. She had 8 students in 8 grades.

We have another one called the Three Creek School about 40 or 50 miles from here. I think they have 4 or 5 students, all from local ranches. There is no town.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM
How far is your children's school from your home Jim?

Just about 10 miles is all. We are pretty lucky.

Some of my friends have 50-70 miles of gravel.....hence the need for a country school yet.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When I was a baby, my mother taught at one of those 1 room country schools in a place called Folly Farm, Oregon. Some maps still show the place in the SE corner of the state. She had 8 students in 8 grades.

We have another one called the Three Creek School about 40 or 50 miles from here. I think they have 4 or 5 students, all from local ranches. There is no town.

My Grandmother's first teaching job was at a single room school south of town.

It was the Lone Tree Bench School. It was 60 miles from town I think.

There was no teacherage, so she stayed at a ranch house until one was built.

She graduated college in the 20's......1929 I think. So would have been out there in the early 30's.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
When Mom was at the Folly Farm school in '49, Dad worked as a farm hand on a local ranch. We lived in a farm hand house. She was only there 1 year before Dad got a better job and they moved to Boise. She had a 2 year teachers certificate. She later got a 4 year degree and then an MA. When she retired, she was the highest paid teacher in Boise. She's 102 now and is still drawing her pension after nearly 40 years. She's been drawing her pension for longer than she worked in the district.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Now I'm again thinking of Smithville Arkansas, a wide spot on the road, it'd be nice to stop there again.

Easy there, Wabi...

Smithville is an up and coming community...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wonder how many here went to a one room schoolhouse? I did, was the only kid in my class for 2 years. His and hers outhouses, no running water, we had a cistern with a hand pump.
It really was no hardship and great fun. And I did occasionally walk the 2 miles home from school.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
When Mom was at the Folly Farm school in '49, Dad worked as a farm hand on a local ranch. We lived in a farm hand house. She was only there 1 year before Dad got a better job and they moved to Boise. She had a 2 year teachers certificate. She later got a 4 year degree and then an MA. When she retired, she was the highest paid teacher in Boise. She's 102 now and is still drawing her pension after nearly 40 years. She's been drawing her pension for longer than she worked in the district.

Similar to Grandma.

She started teaching in the '30s......taught for a lot of years......and died at 104.

I never knew her when she wasn't retired!

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They just can't support modern life any more. The tiny town of Almo, ID is closing it's school. They have 8 students, K-3, 1 teacher, and a bus driver. The teacher will be reassigned. The students will be bused 50 miles, 1 way, to the nearest school. Their budget is $130k but they can't meet it. They say they'll maintain the building for a couple of years but they need 17 students to reopen it and that's highly unlikely. Last year they held some fundraising to keep it open but funding cuts because of the virus were the last straw.
They've been talking about this for 25 years and it's finally had to happen.

We have many schools in other tiny towns that don't make financial sense to keep open but naturally every town wants it's own schools. A school is a town's identity and when it's gone, the town just isn't real any more.
It's not just in Idaho. They've closed two small town schools in my County here in upstate NY just in the last few years.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My grandmother taught in a one room schoolhouse in Geronimo Ok.
She died at 107.......
Do teachers just live longer ?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Grandsons go to Branson CO school. Online. They get good grades and set their own pace so finish in a couple hours each day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.