Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As the title says, just wondering if anyone picks up reloading supplies at auctions or even garage sales. Two weeks ago, I won a local online auction bid for some .338 cal bullets. When I went to pickup my winning bid, they also handed me about 1300 Winchester large rifle primers. For $20 I’d say I did alright. Since then, I’ve been watching the auctions and have seen lots of new and once fired brass, different caliber bullets, primers, and even powder. I have not bid on the powder or brass, it I have every thing else. Since I won my auction, the new bids are way up in price. Just wondering if anyone else has bought supplies this way.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/25/20.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes. In the "BC" days, before covid, we had 2-4 local gun auctions a year. I bought a few supplies at them.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here’s my thoughts.

Anything factory sealed and properly labeled - yes, except powder and primers should be in a 21st century container
Open powder - never
Fired brass - depends - there’s a lot of once fired out there and fairly easy to detect if it’s ever been trimmed
Bullets - yes, but I measure and weigh every one if the box is open
Primers - nope. These are just too cheap new ($0.03 each) to take a chance (I mostly hunt, so failure to fire is not an option).

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
all the time

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ii bought some fired brass once- big mistake! Apparently it was fired with hot loads. Flattened primers n expanded case heads. Never again! Mel

IC B2

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stammster
Here’s my thoughts.

Anything factory sealed and properly labeled - yes, except powder and primers should be in a 21st century container
Open powder - never
Fired brass - depends - there’s a lot of once fired out there and fairly easy to detect if it’s ever been trimmed
Bullets - yes, but I measure and weigh every one if the box is open
Primers - nope. These are just too cheap new ($0.03 each) to take a chance (I mostly hunt, so failure to fire is not an option).

Thanks for the replies. I put in a few more bids for some unopened boxes do bullets. They have a big lot of powder in the latest auction, but I think I’ll stick with buying new at the LGS for that and primers. I never intentionally bid on the primers I got, as they were not listed as part of the auction. I will keep looking for some items I may need and put a bid in here and there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a lot of my reloading equipment at a garage sale. Wife and a friend made garage sales on Sat. mornings. Called me at work and said this fellow had some reloading equipment. I talked to the fellow and bought just about all the equipment he had, for $75 dollars. Press and it was mounted on a bench, scales, several sets of dies, powder thrower, several shell holders for the press, case trimmer with a few pilots, and I'm sure I've forgotten some.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I buy bullets and brass only if it appears once fired, never powder or primers.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sure,

But I evaluate each item on a case by case basis.

The exception is reloads. I don't buy other peoples reloads.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Sure,

But I evaluate each item on a case by case basis.

The exception is reloads. I don't buy other peoples reloads.

I understand that, I'm not going to buy other's reloads either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.