Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like ceramic sticks with a wood block. Should be able to get a set with 2 coarse sticks, 2 fine sticks, and the block should have a 20 and 25 degree settings.

When things are awful I use a Lansky or a WorkSharp to re-establish and edge then go back to the ceramics for maintenance.

You have to clean the ceramic sticks once and a while. A little Ajax or similar powdered cleaning compound will clean up your sticks so they can "cut" your knife edge again.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The rada weighs almost nothing and is small in the pack, easy to use, don't over think it.

Had a hunter kill an elk and pull out a havalin disposable blade knife and in a few minutes broke the blade off inside the cavity somewhere. If you want disposable buy a 5 pack of cheap paring knives, razor sharp and 2 or 3 will dress/skin an elk. Toss'm when done, weigh nothing.

Kent

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by deflave
Rada and/or Spyderco Sharpmaker.

I like that Spyderco setup.

The hardware store sells a little pocket/keychain version, I think made by Lansky. It has a carbide V on one side and 1/8" ceramic rods on the other side. The carbide is good for sharpening a hoe or shovel, in a pinch, but I only use the ceramic on my knives.

Heck, I often put a shaving edge on my pocket knife or a hunting knife using the unglazed bottom and then the glazed side of a ceramic coffee mug. But if one struggles to hold the appropriate angles when stroking the edge, the V sharpeners are fool proof.

added: google Lansky quick fix knife sharpener. I see one listed at $7

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks ya'll for reminding me. I have to run out to the truck and touch up my EDC on the window edge

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Rada.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Been using those since they were wood and yellow plastic, over 20 years.

I have stones, lanskey, belt sander.. mostly I use a steel to touch up and a rada to set the relief when needed.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Thanks ya'll for reminding me. I have to run out to the truck and touch up my EDC on the window edge

Yep, this works great !

Home, stone & steel.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Arkansas stones if i want a really sharp razor edge.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This can’t be beat for quick, easy, and lightweight.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I can sharpen almost any knife I own sharp enough to shave with and I've shown a lot my friends how I do it. Most of can't do it because they just don't have the patience. I use ceramic rods, Arkansas stones and a Smith diamond sharping pad (if the edge is real beat up) followed by a steel. I've given my SIL (who can't sharpen a knife) everything I have except I gave him a diamond plated steel instead of a Diamond sharpening pad. For his 50th birthday I gave him of these:

https://warthogusa.com/product/xtreme-edge/

I haven't used one of these but I saw a bigger model on the counter at McBrides gun shop and a customer was sharpening his knife on it. He said he had one at home and it's all he uses now. I don't know if SIL has tried his yet.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a Lansky and have for 30 years. Think I’m on my 4th set of stones. It works fine for blades about 5” or shorter and great for many broadheads.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by victoro
Most of can't do it because they just don't have the patience.

this

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
on the stones, I might spend several hours sometimes.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I have the Smith's 50594 Diamond Precision Knife Sharpening System. When I first sharpen any knife I use the course diamond stone until I get a wire bead rolled over on one side and then work the other side until the bead moves over. Then I go to the medium diamond stone and work the bead back over both sides (it will be smaller this time). Then I work it back on both sides with the fine hard stone, then strop it on some leather. It is usually hair shaving sharp by this stage. Cheap or soft steel knives will never get a great edge and they won't keep an edge for long. A decent piece of steel may take more work up front but will hold the edge and will be easier to get back to sharp.

Last edited by Tarheel101; 06/25/20.

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This can’t be beat for quick, easy, and lightweight.

Yes, That is actually the type I have. A couple of them in the camper and in the kitchen. I failed to remember the brand name.

The Lansky quick fix mentioned above appears to be an equivalent replacement.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
on the stones, I might spend several hours sometimes.

Geez. What kind of steel and what kind of stones? I am curious.

As for the OP you have a couple of choices. You can learn to sharpen on stones. Many good Youtube videos. Search for Cliff Stamp, Steel Drake, and Calton Cutlery. If you can't learn to sharpen from those guy's videos (which I doubt) maybe you just flat can't and need to move on. Up until youtube came along I could half azz sharpen on stones and used a Lansky jig. Then I learned the pieces of the puzzle I didn't know.

You can get a sharpening gadget. Jigs, mini belt sanders, pull throughs etc. Eventually you are going to need a way to "thin" or lay back the edge and some of these limit you on that. The better jigs are the KME and Edge pro.

Problem is that good sharpening stones and gadgets are expensive. So the third choice of something disposable could be just the ticket. I call em "glorified box cutters" but they certainly would solve your problem. Sell off your good knives, get a glorified box cutter and buy something else nice with the balance of the money.

A lot of knife makers offer a sharpening service. You can send a Buck in and they will sharpen it for you for a few bucks.....no pun intended.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When your stones wear and are.no longer flat, it's hard to get a fine edge. It gets more and more frustrating.
If the knives aren't high quality, then a cheap carborindum from a discount store will serve you well for practice and starting with a square flat surface .

There's umpteen instructionals on YouTube.
Lots of good advice.

Here's one. Cliff is a good farmer who likes all things sharp.
Do a search and you'll find one here on basic how to.
https://m.youtube.com/user/CliffStamp/videos

Do you have a family member who is a barber, meat cutter, machinist?
They will do it for you for buying them lunch.

Blessings,
Happy Camper

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a 1x30 belt sander from Horrible Freight, 40 bucks on sale. prosharpeningsupply.com has belts from 120 grit to 1000 grit, and leather strop belts. They also have a neat angle guide that fits that sander, makes it easy. Amazing edge.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use a diamond stone or oil stones. It’s a feel thing. I can feel when it goes slick. I hit a couple licks on a piece of saddle girth. It rips hair off your arm.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The Rada thing is great for kitchen knives, but I wouldn’t use it on my good knives.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Warthog

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.