Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
advice, the best way to fix this gouge one of my helpers made when the scraper caught then skipped and his forward momentum carried him into the corner of the cabinet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try and find some similar leftover laminate flooring planks?

Looks pretty thin...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
the floor is new, talking about the cabinet.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stxhunter;
Good evening sir, I hope other than the gouged cabinet this finds you well.

Before we begin, I'm going to assume that the customer knows the fix will not be perfect ans since the cabinets are not new will be okay with that.

The piece of veneer that's loose on the right can be put back with something like an industrial PL adhesive.

The sticky wicket there is how to put pressure on it to hold it in place and at the same time clean up any extra which squirts out.

Are you able to clamp it?

Then for the front, I'd use a wood filler to fill within say an eighth of the surface. Some wood filler such as Fix brand which also make PL in the US actually will take stain fairly well.

Try a test batch and see if the filler will take stain and if it will, then fill to level and stain.

If the filler will not take stain, then you'll need to source some lacquer sticks in the correct color and use them. While it's fairly large, we've used lacquer sticks to repair mill work and been successful most of the time.

Hope that was useful and made some sense. Good luck with the repair, feel free to ask questions and all the best to you this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Really need a further out pic, to see what the options are, from top to floor, and wider view of overall area.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife has an entire collection of Sharpies colored to hide my oopsies.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
that ain't going to be easy nor perfect. if the laminate is kind of loose and you can find something similiar, you might want to carefully cut out around it and put in a dutchman using a good wood glue.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah,
But it looks like that cabinet is a veneer over slats..
And the veneer looks to be from a single piece (from the grain of the three or four pieces I see)
I thought you might have better luck finding a piece of flooring that looks similar to tge veneer since it is two sides of a corner and (real wood)veneer can be expensive

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 06/25/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
stxhunter;
Good evening sir, I hope other than the gouged cabinet this finds you well.

Before we begin, I'm going to assume that the customer knows the fix will not be perfect ans since the cabinets are not new will be okay with that.

The piece of veneer that's loose on the right can be put back with something like an industrial PL adhesive.

The sticky wicket there is how to put pressure on it to hold it in place and at the same time clean up any extra which squirts out.

Are you able to clamp it?

Then for the front, I'd use a wood filler to fill within say an eighth of the surface. Some wood filler such as Fix brand which also make PL in the US actually will take stain fairly well.

Try a test batch and see if the filler will take stain and if it will, then fill to level and stain.

If the filler will not take stain, then you'll need to source some lacquer sticks in the correct color and use them. While it's fairly large, we've used lacquer sticks to repair mill work and been successful most of the time.

Hope that was useful and made some sense. Good luck with the repair, feel free to ask questions and all the best to you this summer.

Dwayne

this is what i was thinking and will probably try first.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like veneer...Glue and color with a brown/black felt pen.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Corner mould, adhesive and a finish stain before installation.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Corner mould, adhesive and a finish stain before installation.

that's a good idea.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Roger, I’m thinking your easiest fix, where it would come out a “clean” job, and the customer would accept it, is:

1 - Get a half sheet of cabinet grade plywood the same thickness as those doors.

2 – Make that corner into like a block paneling, where the whole corner stands off on the facing side the same distance as that door. Make the right side block panel the full width of that right side, where the factory edge mates against the face of the cabinet to the right.

3 – On the piece facing you, make it the same width as the piece you put on the right, what about 1.5 inches wide it looks like?

4 – Cut the 45 degree angle on a table saw on the corners of the block paneling to make a clean outer edge.

5 – The counter top, which is not viewable, is the limiting factor on how you finish it at the top, and if it is possible to where you can blend the top in cleanly.

6 – Pop it into place with a finishing nail gun, putty nail holes, stain, done.

This way, you just cover up the mess, and walk away like it was built that way originally once finished.

You won’t be able to patch that gouge, and it come out clean.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Roger, I’m thinking your easiest fix, where it would come out a “clean” job, and the customer would accept it, is:

1 - Get a half sheet of cabinet grade plywood the same thickness as those doors.

2 – Make that corner into like a block paneling, where the whole corner stands off on the facing side the same distance as that door. Make the right side block panel the full width of that right side, where the factory edge mates against the face of the cabinet to the right.

3 – On the piece facing you, make it the same width as the piece you put on the right, what about 1.5 inches wide it looks like?

4 – Cut the 45 degree angle on a table saw on the corners of the block paneling to make a clean outer edge.

5 – The counter top, which is not viewable, is the limiting factor on how you finish it at the top, and if it is possible to where you can blend the top in cleanly.

This way, you just cover up the mess, and walk away like it was built that way originally once finished.

if i go that route i'll have one of my carpenter friends do it.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Judging by the quality of those cabinets, nothing but a full restoration of the room would be acceptable. Or some old English polish. Can ya tell I had a bad with a fugging moron gc.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

if i go that route i'll have one of my carpenter friends do it.

I was thinking that while I was typing, but didn't know your extent of experience. If you have a good cabinet friend, he could bang that out, and you walk away with no headache from trying to half azz a fix, and a with a happy customer. It'd be an easy fix for a cabinet guy.

That's probably your least of a headache way to fix it. Sucks when we have to come out of pocket on a job, but it's part of the game sometimes. You fix it and go down the road, and keep the referrals coming in from the happy customer, and how you handled the situation.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
Judging by the quality of those cabinets, nothing but a full restoration of the room would be acceptable. Or some old English polish. Can ya tell I had a bad with a fugging moron gc.

yeah their old and not in the best shape.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I second Olde English polish. I've used it with some success.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Now that you’ve solved your cabinet fix issue, it’s time for fishing…

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
my brother and i made a couple of old school Calcutta bamboo rods.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.