Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Loading for my grandsons marlin xs7 in 243 win. Using once fired Hornady brass and 100 grain hornady bullets along with new Hornady dies. Full length sized 100 cases, cleaned, charged and seated bullets like I have been for 40 years. Rounds won’t chamber. So, I made some dummy rounds, full length sized and trimmed to 2.030, seated bullet, round won’t chamber. About the only thing I can figure is this rifle will require a small base sizing die, but very open for suggestions as I have never experienced this in many many years and many multiple calipers. Am I missing some this simple.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much did the case head to shoulder distance change from before sizing to after?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
See if a resized brass will fit prior to powder and bullet. If it will, then your bullet is jamming into the lands preventing the bolt from closing. The last rifle I bought was super short throated. I have to seat those bullets WAY down in the case.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
CKAT. Thanks, I already thought of that and initial seating depth was slight below a factory load. No luck, but that suggestion makes perfect sense

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe measure the "width" of the neck without bullet and with bullet? Thick neck/slightly over diameter bullet combination?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
A few thousandths

Originally Posted by mathman
How much did the case head to shoulder distance change from before sizing to after?

Originally Posted by mathman

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Which way? If it shortened then that shouldn't be the problem.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Problem solved guys, thanks for all the suggestions. For 40 years I put the sizer die down to touching the shell holder. In this case, I finally touched the shell holder then turned the die down another half turn. Chambers perfectly. Now I have to pull 100 bullets and do it all over,

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
If you have a 308 die [better yet 7mm08 or 260] pull the expander/decapper out and run the loaded rounds into this. This will move a bunch of the shoulder, maybe enough to chamber.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You didn't say which rifle the once-fired brass was fired in. It sounds like the brass was fired in a different rifle. Always try the sized brass in the chamber before going farther in reloading, especially if the brass came from a different rifle. You can buy a shell holder that will allow brass to enter the sizing die farther.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
You didn't say which rifle the once-fired brass was fired in. It sounds like the brass was fired in a different rifle. Always try the sized brass in the chamber before going farther in reloading, especially if the brass came from a different rifle. You can buy a shell holder that will allow brass to enter the sizing die farther.

Which are those? The Reddings are made in increments of increasing height which correspondingly decrease how far the brass goes into the die.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
If you have a 308 die [better yet 7mm08 or 260] pull the expander/decapper out and run the loaded rounds into this. This will move a bunch of the shoulder, maybe enough to chamber.

I have done this with my 308 die.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp

I have done this with my 308 die.

My 308 die does double duty as a 7-08 body die, my 7-08 die ... as a 260 & 243 body die. Works great.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Problem solved guys, thanks for all the suggestions. For 40 years I put the sizer die down to touching the shell holder. In this case, I finally touched the shell holder then turned the die down another half turn. Chambers perfectly.

I had the same problem when I bought a Ruger Hawkeye ultralight 7mm-08. I have had a Rem 7600 for several years and the brass from the 7600 wouldn't chamber in the Ruger after I FL resized it. A 1/4 turn down with the die solved the problem.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If one encounters this issue in the future, a solution is to use a shell holder from the same manufacturer to match the dies, or one with a lower height.
\
I believe Redding used to catalog shell holders of varying heights, or one can machine a few thousandths off the current unit.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
... or one can machine a few thousandths off the current unit.

Or, if you don't have access to a lathe or mill, fasten a piece of 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to a piece of flat glass and slowly work the top of the shellholder down, measuring frequently until you achieve the needed shoulder bump.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That's a typical 243 problem. If some of your rounds still don't chamber, it's because the inside of the neck needs lube. The 243 has a long sloping 20 degree shoulder, when the ball pulls back through the neck it pulls the the shoulder forward if that makes sense.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A Redding Body die would allow you to bump the shoulder back, without having to pull the bullets...

or you can do the suggested using a 260 or 7/08 die with the spindle pulled out... like us cheaper guys who figured out that after buying a couple of Redding Body dies...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a neck sizing die.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Problem solved guys, thanks for all the suggestions. For 40 years I put the sizer die down to touching the shell holder. In this case, I finally touched the shell holder then turned the die down another half turn. Chambers perfectly. Now I have to pull 100 bullets and do it all over,

Most reloading manuals suggest 1/8 or 1/4 cam over when setting up your FL sizer. 1/2 a turn is probably a bit extreme. But hey, if you're happy with that go for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.