Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jfruser
Stillbirth of a Nation
James Lafond
https://smile.amazon.com/Stillbirth...oding=UTF8&qid=1593373380&sr=8-2

Primary source history is the best history, and James LaFond gives us primary source material that will sear your undies.

This is the story of Peter Williamson, a child captured/kidnapped in Scotland and sold into bondage ("indentured servitude") with the help of the local Scottish law judges at the age of 12 years. He Served out his indenture (unlike so many who died indentured) and started a family...and was then captured by indians in New England. He survived them, fought them for years, then went back to Scotland and told his tale, whereupon he was imprisoned by local Scotish law judges (some of whom were the ones who help sell him into bondage) and others who wanted to maintain the profitable racket of white slavery. He eventually sued them and depsed many witnesses to their crimes and was eventually freed and then wrote his autobiography.

Originally Posted by Review
Lafond largely lets Peter Williamson tell his own story and only adds commentary to aid the reader understand the implications of Williamson's tale. Cutting to the chase, Williamson's tale of pre-revolutionary America is one of 13 slave states, each unique in many ways, but all based on master/slave plantation economies. And most of thse slaves were white: Irish, Scottish, English. African slaves were a luxury item costing 4x what an Irish boy or Scottish rebel sold into slavery might cost. Lafond also examines the difference between slavery and indentured servitude when
1. 95% of the indentured died while serving out their indenture
2. The indentured was captured and went unwillingly.
3. The capturer/buyer and seller were the only parties to gain from the transaction.

Originally Posted by Publisher_Note
Stillbirth of A Nation is the story of America’s birth as a slave nation. Among the author’s startling claims are:
-Slavery in the English Colonies, from Carolina to Canada, did not have its origins in the transatlantic slave trade conducted by Portugal, Spain and Holland, but in England’s own ancient and rich history of child slavery, transformed into a hideous human trafficking industry with the criminalization of poverty in Elizabethan England.
-American notions of freedom, liberty and autonomy did not rise from a free pioneer society, but were learned from Native Americans.
-That the American tradition of bearing arms was a reaction against the enslavement of whites by whites, whose masters armed and paid Indian warriors to police the frontiers for runaways.
These three key concepts and many more fascinating facts about early American life are illuminated through the memoir of Scottish slave Peter Williamson, who had his freedom taken four times, by British, French and Indians.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
J. Frank Dobie stated that Lehmann’s story was the definitive white captives story.

I think Quanah pretty much talked him into going back to his family in Gillespie Co.

Wasn’t the medicine man an Apache and his murder the reason he escaped to the Comanches???

I also believe Quanah was instrumental in seeing that Lehmann received a Comanche allotment (land) at Ft. Sill as he stated he was an official member of the tribe. Lehmann went back and lived there for a while.

Quanah indeed took Herman under his wing so to speak and the quarter section he received is only a few miles west of our place here. This area was and still is known as "The Big Pasture" from the days the Comanche and Kiowas rented out this area to Burk Burnett and other cattlemen basically overseen by Quanah.

I first read Lehman's book out of the library in Grandfield OK but do have it on Kindle too.
You must live pretty close to the Star House.

It's outside of Cache getting in bad shape though.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the history guys.

Also one of the few times that I’ve heard reference to the Hall rifle. I sold a beautiful Hall rifle to a museum in South Carolina.iirc.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Reading thru Hermann Lehmanns book (titled above) seeking out the usual historical tidbits. Ruffcutt and I were had just glanced upon the tortures and treatment of captives/prisoner.

Ran across a comment by Lehmann. He at the time was with a band of Apaches as they are the ones who first captured him. Their band was visited by a band of Comanches that had a white captive with them. About his age. Another child of German settlers to Texas name of Adolph Korn. He said they conversed in German so neither of their captors could understand them.

(While with the Apaches he mentions the on again and off again stints on one of the New Mexico reservations. And how he had to be hidden in the woods when the soldier came thru on an inspection.)

This encounter with Korn would have been circa 1870-71ish. So I took this to mean that by this time these two bands had learned enough English to be dangerous to them. I found that interesting.

Lehmann does describe that he witnessed the execution of white children captives who would not settle down and be quiet on the trail. Not pretty.

While on the subject of captives. Have also read the story of the Smith boys captured in Comal county. A good read but I certainly feel a bit more artistic license was used in this narrative. I also highly recommend Wilbargers monumental work “Indian Depredations in Texas”. While a bit dated now, it contains a weath of primary document gathered thru the interviews of surviving participants. As does Deshield’s The Border Wars of Texas"

Thank you for the heads up on a good read. I’ve been looking for one myself...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Also one of the few times that I’ve heard reference to the Hall rifle. I sold a beautiful Hall rifle to a museum in South Carolina.iirc.
US Dragoons were an elite unit stationed in Fort Scott, Kansas and patrolling the pre-Civil War frontier. They used the Hall's Carbine. The Hall guns were used extensively in the Mexican War and the Civil War.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
EE,

Dragoons were pretty much stationed all along the frontier. Precursor to the US cavalry. Many future cav leaders served with the dragoons. Lt. St. George Cooke 2nd Dragoons captured the Snively expedition out of the Republic of Texas. The expedition were pretty much nothing but land porates raiding the Santa Fe trail.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dragoons were not precursors to the Cavalry, the existed alongside it. They were basically mounted riflemen meant to move on horseback and then fight on foot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EE,

Dragoons were pretty much stationed all along the frontier. Precursor to the US cavalry. Many future cav leaders served with the dragoons. Lt. St. George Cooke 2nd Dragoons captured the Snively expedition out of the Republic of Texas. The expedition were pretty much nothing but land porates raiding the Santa Fe trail.
One of these days we got to get together and do some land porating ourselves. Not at the Alamo though.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Dragoons were not precursors to the Cavalry, the existed alongside it. They were basically mounted riflemen meant to move on horseback and then fight on foot.

Exactly. But at this time they were the Army’s only real mounted entity. There were also mounted infantry units ( utilized mules) that existed along side the dragoons. As the case at Ft. Lancaster. as well as several other frontier garrisons Instead of carbines they packed standard infantry arms.

I concur on the land pirating! LOL! The merchants along the Santa Fe Trail then had great concerns for the Texas land pirates. They were a real problem and the Republic wasn’t going to curry any favor with the US by using them. Their orders were to attack and pillage caravans belonging to Mexican traders. (As a state of war still existed between the two republics). However, many American traders traveled with Mexican merchants and there really was no way to tell the difference between caravans.

These raids were kinda the brainchild of Prez Houston ( I’m pretty sure he was drunk at the time) to incur a bit of revenue selling the looted goods. This idea being only second to Prez Lamar’s illfated Santa Fe expedition a year or so earlier. Not only was it an utter failure, 2/3rds of that expedition were told ( lied to) they were on a friendly expedition to establish trade relations between Texas and NM. The intent was to have the "freedom seeking" New Mexicans join up with the Rep of Texas in independence and gird up against Mexico. The issue was NM liked being a part of the Mexican Republic and wanted nothing to do with the diablo Tejanos.

What is absolutely amazing is the Republic of Texas lasted as long as it did with the most inept and corrupt politicions that could be gathered under one roof. Especially in the days of the revolution 1835-36. There were exceptions, but for the most part they were all blackguards. Least IMHO

Birdy may wish to chime in on this.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Empire of the Summer Moon.
SC Gwynne

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by SturgeonGeneral
SC Gwynne

I, personally, have not read this book. And the reason I haven’t is all the professional anthropologist and historians (that have read it) I know have all told me the same thing. That I would not really appreciate it. It was well received when debuted, and here comes the but, while an entertaining book it makes way too many generalizations about the Comanche. And that much of it was probably plagerized from T. R. Ferenbach’s earlier works. And that there were better works available ( like the one Birdy mentioned above) that would probably be more to my liking.

That’s why I shy away from it. I know many here have read and enjoyed it. And that’s great. Not trying to make myself out as some kind of elitist as I am far from that. Just my two cents. I certainly would not talk anyone out of reading it. These are just my reasons.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great thread !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Filibusters out of Louisiana (likes of Anthony Glass and Philip Nolan) were trading with the Comanches just the other side of the crosstimbers right after the turn of the 18th/19th century for horses and mules. Big damn trade going on right under the Spaniards noses. Not that our old pal Wilkenson had any pull in this escapade. But Nolan was at one time his “secretary” and the Spaniards did catch up with him.

kaywoodie,

You know of any good reads on Nolan or Glass? I'd only recently learned of their forays into Spanish held country to buy horses to drive back to Louisiana. I'm sure they must have had some exciting times trading with Comanches and trying to avoid the Spanish.

Last edited by Lonny; 06/29/20.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Lonny
Filibusters out of Louisiana (likes of Anthony Glass and Philip Nolan) were trading with the Comanches just the other side of the crosstimbers right after the turn of the 18th/19th century for horses and mules. Big damn trade going on right under the Spaniards noses. Not that our old pal Wilkenson had any pull in this escapade. But Nolan was at one time his “secretary” and the Spaniards did catch up with him.

kaywoodie,

You know of any good reads on Nolan or Glass? I'd only recently learned of their forays into Spanish held country to buy horses to drive back to Louisiana. I'm sure they must have had some exciting times trading with Comanches and trying to avoid the Spanish.

Glass left a journal. Very interesting but shory read. Several good side stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Journal-Indian-Trader-1790-1810-Southwestern/dp/1585440167

Nolan is a bit more enigmatic. Only really mentioned in other references. I’m trying to remember if Herbert Eugene Bolton Mentions him in any of his works. Dr. David Weber formerly of SMU hits on him some in his work on the Spanish frontier in North America.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lonny,

I suggest looking into the book mentioned in the bibliography of this from Handbook of Texas.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fno02

Jack Jackson is a pretty good authority on early Texas history. I didn’t know this book existed.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SturgeonGeneral
SC Gwynne

I, personally, have not read this book. And the reason I haven’t is all the professional anthropologist and historians (that have read it) I know have all told me the same thing. That I would not really appreciate it. It was well received when debuted, and here comes the but, while an entertaining book it makes way too many generalizations about the Comanche. And that much of it was probably plagerized from T. R. Ferenbach’s earlier works. And that there were better works available ( like the one Birdy mentioned above) that would probably be more to my liking.

That’s why I shy away from it. I know many here have read and enjoyed it. And that’s great. Not trying to make myself out as some kind of elitist as I am far from that. Just my two cents. I certainly would not talk anyone out of reading it. These are just my reasons.

I would like a recent work on the Tonkawas, the exuberantly cannibalistic guys of whom around thirty ran twenty-five miles overnight to fight on our side at Plum Creek, inflicted most of the Comanche/Kiowa casualties and captured all the horses. All this at Ed Burleson’s invitation, and Ed was a capable man.

Twenty years later RIP Ford took a fully half Tonkawa force (100 men) against Buffalo Hump’s Comanches, referring at that time to their leaders as ‘superior men with an encyclopedic knowledge of the west’ and won. Fourteen years later the dwindling Tonks were still at it, relentlessly guiding MacKenzie down on Quanah Parker’s bunch.

Never very many, always within raiding distance of the Comanches, yet the Tonkawas were killing and eating Comanches for more’n thirty years, Quanah Parker in common with the rest of his tribe hated and feared them.

After the big ‘74 sundance Parker had wanted to go and exterminate the few remaining Tonkawas rather than go after the buffalo hunters at Adobe Walls (after all the Comanches had largely switched to cattle by that time) but got outvoted. Maybe the rest of his bunch chickened out.

Anyways Gwynn predictably went the Pop Texas History route and at the very start of "Summer Moon” says the Tonkawas were “always losing”.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/29/20.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Edward Burleson was an exceptionally capable man. Unfortunately he had politics pretty much thrust upon him. But still one of exceptional quality!!! One of the exceptions I alluded to. He reigned pretty damn surpreme on the battlefield!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/29/20.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where Empire of the Summer Moon does shine is when it goes where most Texas Frontier history books do not. One of these being the sad fate of Rachel Plummer and the fact that for most Texans, even as early as 1838, other Texans were as much of a threat than were Indians.

Rachel Plummer (née Parker) was a Cousin to Cynthia Anne Parker and was seventeen and pregnant when she and her two year old son were likewise captured in 1836 at Parker’s Fort. Thanks to the Herculean efforts of her father Rachel was ransomed 21 months later. Only to die in part from the effects of exposure while giving birth outdoors in inclement weather while hiding from other Texans looking to kill her father.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Plummer

The other place where Summer Moon shines is following the later careers of Quanah Parker and failed “bullet proof medicine” medicine man Isa-Tai (“Coyote Droppings”) as rivals for elected office within the tribe. Isa-Tai coming across like a character only a Larry McMurphy would invent 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

US Dragoons were an elite unit stationed in Fort Scott, Kansas and patrolling the pre-Civil War frontier. They used the Hall's Carbine. The Hall guns were used extensively in the Mexican War and the Civil War.

Interesting.....thanks for your input. I’d never seen nor held a Hall until a Korean War veteran Marine in his 80’s contacted me about buying his collection. I bought everything he had for the price he was asking. He had a cartridge collection that was, in my opinion, a treasure trove of old, original, RARE cartridges. Everything from original Henry cartridges, Billinghurst Requa cartridges, original and oddball 1880’s 45-70 cartridges, 30-03, almost every version of 30-06 military loads including a “specialized” load that was meant for use against dirigibles in the Great War. I’ve got so many different cartridges from the pinfire, to inside primed, to Civil War paper wrapped ball and powder and everything in between but my problem is figuring out how to display it. I’ve always collected cartridges but the collection I bought would be impossible to put together today.

I bought some great things from him like the Hall carbine. I also bought a Johnson with original bayonet and scabbard. The only thing I passed on was a Spencer Carbine which I still kick myself over. It was in good shape but the markings were so faint as to be almost invisible so I reluctantly passed on it. I had already bought a dozen or so of his guns, his extensive cartridge collection and his bayonet and knife collection. The bayonet and knives he had were just as rare and desirable as his firearm collection. Revolutionary war bayonets, WWI and WWII training bayonets made from spring steel and leather wrapped for the 1903 Springfield and Bakelite training bayonet for the Garand. Ross rifle bayonets, 1866 Winchester bayonets, a BIG cleaver for the USMC (US Medical Corps) used for clearing brush to build quick MASH tents not for amputations which is what everyone mistakenly thinks it’s for.

I even bought his dad’s seabag from WWI. His dad was a Marine also and on his seabag he’d drawn a map of his travels throughout Europe during the war. Inside was his original issue gas mask and a few other odds and ends. That old man spent his life collecting that stuff and he wanted it to go to someone who’d appreciate, I assured him that it was. He made some good money from that liquidation sale and he was beyond thrilled with the wad of cash he ended up with. He told me that based on what he paid for everything versus what he sold it for that he made a rough average of 500% profit which was great because his asking prices were ridiculously low. I actually paid him more for some things than what he was asking. At the time I had no idea what a Johnson Automatic (semi) with bayonet and frog was selling for but I figured that it was at least worth the $250 that he was asking. He told me that he thought it had a broken extractor (or something) but I later checked it out thoroughly and realized that it didn’t and it functioned flawlessly. I had a customer that collected Garands, mostly Winchester Garands, and when he found out we had a Johnson he would not stop pestering me to sell it to him. When he got to $3500 with his offer I decided to sell it to the collector.

Thanks for the interesting thread...👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.