-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Wisconsin DNR (Damn Near Russian) has prohibited hunter safety courses and people are ticked, so the DNR is being sued.

https://www.tomahawkleader.com/2020...ounty-hunter-safety-course-cancellation/

Hunting advocacy group sues DNR after Oneida County hunter safety course cancellation
JUNE 19, 20200

By Jalen Maki

Tomahawk Leader Editor

MARATHON COUNTY – Hunter Nation, a hunting advocacy group based in Mission, Kan., filed a lawsuit against the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) on Wednesday, June 17, nearly a week after the DNR announced the cancellation of a hunter safety class scheduled for June 22 in Oneida County due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a June 11 release, the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office, which teaches hunter safety courses, said the DNR would not “recognize the course due to Governor Evers (sic) Covid-19 restrictions.”

“As a result, students would not receive the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Certificate and they may decertify our hunter safety instructors,” the release stated.

The 15-page complaint states Luke Hilgemann, CEO of Hunter Nation, is a resident of Marathon County, which is why the case was filed there.

Luke Hilgemann, CEO of Hunter Nation, Hunter Nation Board of Directors.

The Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty (WILL), a conservative public interest law firm, is representing Hunter Nation.

The complaint says the DNR’s online course is “inadequate for individuals who do not have prior hunting or firearms handling experience” due to the inability to use a firearm during the course, which is part of the in-person courses. The complaint also claims the DNR “lack(s) the authority to cease all in-person hunter education courses in the State of Wisconsin, and lack(s) the authority to refuse to issue certificates of accomplishment to individuals who successfully complete such courses.”

The inability to take in-person courses is “a restriction on the right to hunt,” the complaint states.

“Specifically, this policy makes it impossible for anyone in Wisconsin born after Jan. 1, 1973, who is under the age of 18, to complete the hunter safety course required by law to obtain a hunting license necessary to engage in hunting, and makes it difficult for anyone over the age of 18, by requiring them to take an online only course that the Defendants themselves have acknowledged are inappropriate for less experienced hunters and which courses are not available to those without access to the technology to take classes on-line,” the complaint says.

Anyone born after Jan. 1, 1973 must obtain a license to hunt in Wisconsin.

“Earlier this week, Governor Evers’ (sic) said he ‘encouraged people to get outside and exercise their rights’ in regards to protests that have taken place in Madison and Milwaukee,” Tyler Ruhland, Hunter Nation’s Wisconsin State Director, said in a release from June 12. “So, it’s ok for protesters to exercise their first amendment rights, but it’s not ok for kids to exercise their constitutionally protected right to hunt? This move by the Evers’ (sic) administration makes no sense and Hunter Nation calls on the Governor, Secretary and the Legislature to immediately re-open these vital courses for the future of hunting in Wisconsin.”

DNR Communications Director Sarah Hoye said the DNR has no comment on the lawsuit.

“However, regarding safety instruction, due to public health advisories relating to COVID-19, the DNR temporarily suspended all in-person safety classes in March,” she stated. “Our first priority is safety. That includes not only providing educational safety courses for hunting, boating, and off-highway vehicles, but also ensuring the students and instructors who participate are as safe as possible from exposure to COVID-19. We hope to be able to resume in-person classes as soon as possible and the Department will be ready to assist our hunter safety instructors to make that happen.”

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No big deal, south carolina and Texas both offer completely online courses that are good in all 50 states.

Take an online course

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been a hunter safety instructor since 1986. GA has never had a requirement that participants actually fire a gun. Most everything has been online here for at least 10 years. Good to see Wisconsin finally getting into the 21st century.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The DNR is just another strong arm tool of the Governor, same here in Michigan.

I hope they win and shove it up the Gov's booty.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You may NOT learn hunter safety without the King's permission, peasants.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
When you take the class in person do they make you use a rifle w see through rings?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a first time Hunter go with me who did his Hunter safety on TX website. He had handled guns before, but never took a HS course. Seems like a good way to go.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MI face to face HS classes are on hold too. DNR said online classes will suffice. Mentor and Apprentice licenses don't need a HS cert. We normally do live fire, but it isn't required. WI has online classes too. Overbearing parents ought to take their kid out shooting instead of spending time with their lawyer. Frivolous lawsuit.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hunter Nation.

I need to Check them out.

Does anyone here belong to Hunter Nation ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the email i read said they will issue provisional certificates to the on-line students, but they will still need to attend a range day ay some point to obtain the final certificate. But of course that could change, too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
No big deal, south carolina and Texas both offer completely online courses that are good in all 50 states.

Take an online course

In Michigan you can take a online course, but you still have to have a field day!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
When you take the class in person do they make you use a rifle w see through rings?
They might... laugh laugh

The DNR in this state has more power than God.. And they never fail to exercise it whenever they can.. I'm guessing it'll take a DNR permit to mow yer lawn in another few years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Take an online course

Take an online course

So does WI. I taught it there for 10 years. In WI you still need to take a "field test" as well as passing the quizz at the end of the program.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Take an online course
If a person is a mental case or institutionalized they can complete an online course? Without a field test in those states do they give out a participation trophy along with a certificate.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been a hunter safety instructor since 1986. GA has never had a requirement that participants actually fire a gun. Most everything has been online here for at least 10 years. Good to see Wisconsin finally getting into the 21st century.

With a face to face hunter education program and field test it makes sure the participants are not influenced by 21st century liberal tendencies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet another one for the lengthy list of "this would not have flown with Walker as governor"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Take an online course

In Michigan you can take a online course, but you still have to have a field day!

Same deal here in Arizona.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If a kid hunts with his parents or an adult he does not need a hunter safety course.If you have a baby it is legal to buy a hunting license for he or she to hunt at birth.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.