And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shout-out to the poster that recommended the online book: The Evolution of a State (or) Recollections of the Old Texas Days by Noah Smithwick.

Been reading it online. For free. Outstanding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
Shout-out to the poster that recommended the online book: The Evolution of a State (or) Recollections of the Old Texas Days by Noah Smithwick.

Good read I have the book, another good read is Rip Ford's Texas (Personal Narratives of the West).

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, stxhunter. Hope your back feels better soon. Back injury sucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, stxhunter. Hope your back feels better soon. Back injury sucks.

had some poppy seed tea, knocked the edge off the pain.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by SturgeonGeneral
Empire of the Summer Moon.
SC Gwynne

I, personally, have not read this book. And the reason I haven’t is all the professional anthropologist and historians (that have read it) I know have all told me the same thing. That I would not really appreciate it. It was well received when debuted, and here comes the but, while an entertaining book it makes way too many generalizations about the Comanche. And that much of it was probably plagerized from T. R. Ferenbach’s earlier works. And that there were better works available ( like the one Birdy mentioned above) that would probably be more to my liking.

That’s why I shy away from it. I know many here have read and enjoyed it. And that’s great. Not trying to make myself out as some kind of elitist as I am far from that. Just my two cents. I certainly would not talk anyone out of reading it. These are just my reasons.

I would like a recent work on the Tonkawas, the exuberantly cannibalistic guys of whom around thirty ran twenty-five miles overnight to fight on our side at Plum Creek, inflicted most of the Comanche/Kiowa casualties and captured all the horses. All this at Ed Burleson’s invitation, and Ed was a capable man.

Twenty years later RIP Ford took a fully half Tonkawa force (100 men) against Buffalo Hump’s Comanches, referring at that time to their leaders as ‘superior men with an encyclopedic knowledge of the west’ and won. Fourteen years later the dwindling Tonks were still at it, relentlessly guiding MacKenzie down on Quanah Parker’s bunch.

Never very many, always within raiding distance of the Comanches, yet the Tonkawas were killing and eating Comanches for more’n thirty years, Quanah Parker in common with the rest of his tribe hated and feared them.

After the big ‘74 sundance Parker had wanted to go and exterminate the few remaining Tonkawas rather than go after the buffalo hunters at Adobe Walls (after all the Comanches had largely switched to cattle by that time) but got outvoted. Maybe the rest of his bunch chickened out.

Anyways Gwynn predictably went the Pop Texas History route and at the very start of "Summer Moon” says the Tonkawas were “always losing”.

Mike, seems like I remember reading somewhere that the Comanches murdered what few surviving members of the Tonks that made it to the Reservations in OK.
Just can’t remember where I read it. If it’s true, wouldn’t surprise me if ole Quanah instigated their demise.
I would imagine he hated them like no other tribe.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Good read I have the book, another good read is Rip Ford's Texas (Personal Narratives of the West).

Yep. Both great reads!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
There was allegedly still a Tonkawa family living here in Bastrop county at the turn of the 19th/ 20th century. Supposed to have lived on a small place about 3 or 4 miles north of Smithville. In the area not far from the current front entrance of Buescher State Park. They farmed in that area. Typical farm with barn, house, etc.

Need to run an email past the archivist at the historical society. See what she can come up with.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/29/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?

WS

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
SC Gwynne

I, personally, have not read this book. And the reason I haven’t is all the professional anthropologist and historians (that have read it) I know have all told me the same thing. That I would not really appreciate it. It was well received when debuted, and here comes the but, while an entertaining book it makes way too many generalizations about the Comanche. And that much of it was probably plagerized from T. R. Ferenbach’s earlier works. And that there were better works available ( like the one Birdy mentioned above) that would probably be more to my liking.

That’s why I shy away from it. I know many here have read and enjoyed it. And that’s great. Not trying to make myself out as some kind of elitist as I am far from that. Just my two cents. I certainly would not talk anyone out of reading it. These are just my reasons.

I would like a recent work on the Tonkawas, the exuberantly cannibalistic guys of whom around thirty ran twenty-five miles overnight to fight on our side at Plum Creek, inflicted most of the Comanche/Kiowa casualties and captured all the horses. All this at Ed Burleson’s invitation, and Ed was a capable man.

Twenty years later RIP Ford took a fully half Tonkawa force (100 men) against Buffalo Hump’s Comanches, referring at that time to their leaders as ‘superior men with an encyclopedic knowledge of the west’ and won. Fourteen years later the dwindling Tonks were still at it, relentlessly guiding MacKenzie down on Quanah Parker’s bunch.

Never very many, always within raiding distance of the Comanches, yet the Tonkawas were killing and eating Comanches for more’n thirty years, Quanah Parker in common with the rest of his tribe hated and feared them.

After the big ‘74 sundance Parker had wanted to go and exterminate the few remaining Tonkawas rather than go after the buffalo hunters at Adobe Walls (after all the Comanches had largely switched to cattle by that time) but got outvoted. Maybe the rest of his bunch chickened out.

Anyways Gwynn predictably went the Pop Texas History route and at the very start of "Summer Moon” says the Tonkawas were “always losing”.

Mike, seems like I remember reading somewhere that the Comanches murdered what few surviving members of the Tonks that made it to the Reservations in OK.
Just can’t remember where I read it. If it’s true, wouldn’t surprise me if ole Quanah instigated their demise.

There was a reference in the "Carbine and Lance" by Nye I believe that shared the hatred all the tribes had toward the Tonks for their cannibalism . There is an old battle site in Caddo Co OK where a good many met their fate by some of the Keechi band.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by okie
SC Gwynne

There was a reference in the "Carbine and Lance" by Nye I believe that shared the hatred all the tribes had toward the Tonks for their cannibalism . There is an old battle site in Caddo Co OK where a good many met their fate by some of the Keechi band.

George Bent mentions the very same thing in reference to Adobe Walls. That Quanah wanted to go finish off the Tonkawas because of their cannibalistic nature and stay away from Adobe Walls. They had no business being involved in it.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
SC Gwynne

It’s supposed to be in a red rock canyon south and east of Anadarko near Tonkawa creek. I probably drive within a mile of it every day on my way to and from work but I don’t know the exact location.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would seem the Tonkawas did indeed practice a very dark form of medicine. I do believe disease and combat whittled down their numbers more’n anything tho, the thirty under MaKenzie in the 1870’s being most of what was left of their warriors.

I recall reading mention of the few survivors marrying mostly into the Caddos. FWIW I believe there still is a Tonkawa Tribe existing as a entity in Oklahoma....

http://www.tonkawatribe.com/

I have no idea how the other Indians view ‘em today

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karankawa's down on the coast were cannibals also.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
SC Gwynne

It’s supposed to be in a red rock canyon south and east of Anadarko near Tonkawa creek. I probably drive within a mile of it every day on my way to and from work but I don’t know the exact location.

Yes sir that is where it happened. I was born and raised in that country. North and east of Indian City hill near the creek.

Small world I have a farm south of Cement.

Last edited by okie; 06/29/20. Reason: Wrong description

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plácido, Head Chief of the Tonkawas, woulda been close to fifty when him and his bunch ran 25 miles overnight to make it to the Plum Creek fight.

The son of a Comanche woman captured and enslaved by the Tonkawas, both of Placido’s wives were likewise Comanche women captured on raids. In common with the Pawnee and prob’ly other tribes, the Tonkawas would customarily raid the Comanches on foot, intending to ride captured horses home,

Wiki has a decent account of his life.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placido_(Tonkawa_leader)

His name in his own language translates to “Can’t Kill Him”, whereas “Plácido” is Spanish for “calm”, from which we might infer he was cool under Fire.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/29/20.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kranks were alleged maneaters. De Vaca records that while several of his party were prisoners of that tribe, they appeared appalled when they discovered several of the Spanish prisoners had eaten a portion of a dead Spaniard. While they have always been touted as being cannibals, It’s been difficult to tie down any primary documetation unlike the case of the Tonkawas. Appear most is second or third hand info simply passed from one person to another. If they were indeed cannibalistic, chances were it was tied into some religiously significant custom, as these guys really lived in the breadbasket area of Texas. Having both the Gulf, estuaries, coastal plains, etc teeming with fish, fowl, and game. They had plenty to eat, which probably reflected in their appearance. Smithwick states they were tall and healthy, all the men topping the 6 foot mark. (Many coastal archaeological sites contain remains of the long extinct carribean seal!)

Austin’s colony had some serious run ins with the Kranks. And The first recorded incident of the San Felipe militia being mustered for service was in response to Krank attacks. (1825). Note! Jared Groce showed up with all his male slaves "well armed and mounted" for this muster. I can’t remember their number but it exceeded 40’armed slaves. In a personal conversation this past year with the historical director at San Felipe, he stated that the slaves were armed with firearms and not just cane knives.

Their sister group the Attakapas from SE Louisiana and the portion of Texas adjoining it were also accused of the crime. Their name is a Muskoegean phrase Hatak Upa. Attak (Hatak) = Man. Apa (Upa) = food or the act of eating.

This appears to be a common practice among several groups to brand their enemies as cannibals in order to demonize and dehuman them to some degree.

Most of the group had either been assimilated into the existing Mestizo community or other tribes, killed, or run into Mexico by the end of the Texas Revolution.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/30/20.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Plácido, Head Chief of the Tonkawas, woulda been close to fifty when him and his bunch ran 25 miles overnight to make it to the Plum Creek fight.

The son of a Comanche woman captured and enslaved by the Tonkawas, both of Placido’s wives were likewise Comanche women captured on raids. In common with the Pawnee and prob’ly other tribes, the Tonkawas would customarily raid the Comanches on foot, intending to ride captured horses home,

Wiki has a decent account of his life.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placido_(Tonkawa_leader)

His name in his own language translates to “Can’t Kill Him”, whereas “Plácido” is Spanish for “calm”, from which we might infer he was cool under

Birdy, I didn’t read the wiki page on Placido. But he was supposed to have lived for a time on the Colorado below Bastrop on Edward Burleson’s grant. Like in a dugout or cave in the river bluff. Often wondered where that was. I suspet is was just South of town as the bluff runs out not too far out of town.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This “past” year.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.