Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Purchasing a legitimate abstract of title is smart business.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by WTM45

^^^^^^^
This

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Scam.
Yep. Just like PMI...just another way to extort money from people.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
In our part of the world Title Insurance is a guarantee that no one or party from the past can come forward at a later time and claim your property.

Yeah but around here that's taken care of during the title search when you buy the property.

All well and good Indy but that Title search that you mentioned covers the present and are there any liens, etc..

Again, in our part of the world,,,,with the Napoleanic Code,, protects a buyer from some family of long past heirs from coming with, say, a Grant Paper and attempting to claim your property from having a past ownership of sorts.

I live in Plantation Country. Paid cash for the home and acreage. I don’t want to be in my dotage way down the line and fight in court for what I paid for and own.

This may or may not at all apply to other parts of our Country.

It was a one time fee based upon value, etc.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I heard a commercial about that. Being retired that's the last thing I need. Has anyone even heard of someone hacking the title on their home and borrowing a bunch of money against it.

What do they actually do? Do any of you have that title insurance? I guess it's about $15 a month.

Do you even think about it happening?

Title insurance is a one time premium with protection which follows you even after the house is sold. Occasionally items appear in the chain of title or an adjacent landowner may claim rights based on location of a property line or myriad other reasons. Totally worth it.

The way life should be.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bluefish
I heard a commercial about that. Being retired that's the last thing I need. Has anyone even heard of someone hacking the title on their home and borrowing a bunch of money against it.

What do they actually do? Do any of you have that title insurance? I guess it's about $15 a month.

Title insurance is a one time premium with protection which follows you even after the house is sold. Occasionally items appear in the chain of title or an adjacent landowner may claim rights based on location of a property line or myriad other reasons. Totally worth it.

This.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it hard to believe any bank or loan company would lend money with a title search as they would want to know that the borrower owned the property and what position that lender would be in. So it sounds like a scam to me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is probably worth noting that the title insurance typically bought at the closing of a property lists the mortgage holder as the loss payee, and expires at the end of the mortgage contract. If you want to protect yourself, a separate policy with you as the beneficiary should be purchased.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntz

^^^^^^^
This

That's NOT what the OP was talking about.

Anybody with the equivalent of 1/2 an iguana brain knows that..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers
Scam.
Yep. Just like PMI...just another way to extort money from people.

Exactly right, antlers. The banks just do it with a starched white shirt and tie. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Part of the reason I'm asking is, my mother died early in the year and left the house to me and my sister. In her case, her attorney was familiar with the will and once we signed everything he turned it in to the county to have the house put in our name. But how hard would it be for one of these internet Identity thieves to hoax up a death certificate, and a Quit deed, and have the title transferred into their name, or even someone elses name, then go to a mortgage company to refinance the house? Seems like that wouldn't be too hard, I just know I couldn't do it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A huge part of our economy is based on scare tactics. From scaring people that their car “will” break down and selling them a policy to cover them for that, to scaring them that their MediCare ABCDEFG won’t be enough and selling them an additional policy for that, to scaring people that the home that their parents lived in and paid for for years (and now owned outright) might be owned by someone else and selling them a policy to cover them for that...fear-mongering and extortion to the Nth degree. Lotta consumers are insurance rich but money in their pocket poor. Insurance companies are not your friend, they’re legalized crooks. They’ll sell ya’ an insurance policy for the insurance policies that ya’ have...and try their best to scare you into thinkin’ that you need it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I feel like we're talking about two different things in this thread.

Title insurance is standard in all states, except Iowa if I remember correctly and insures you as the owner, and your lender if any, in the event that the person who sold real estate to you didn't have clean title to the property himself. Those things can and do happen but infrequently, and this isn't a scam. That title insurance is on the hook to defend your title to the property, clean it up if necessary or pay you or your lender in the event a superior claim to your dirt arises.

The radio ads for "title lock" or whatever purport to "protect" you against people who fraudulently file documents to make it look as if they own your property, and then the fraudsters supposedly borrow against that, leaving you to foot the bill. I am unaware of that happening at all, let alone a wave of it, and I think that buying "title lock" is a scam.

THIS... NEVER buy a home or land without title insurance... NEVER

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And there are differences between owners title insurance and lenders title insurance. Only the uninformed in today's age would view title insurance as a scam.

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
And there are differences between owners title insurance and lenders title insurance. Only the uninformed in today's age would view title insurance as a scam.

And there’s quite a few that do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I feel like we're talking about two different things in this thread.

Title insurance is standard in all states, except Iowa if I remember correctly and insures you as the owner, and your lender if any, in the event that the person who sold real estate to you didn't have clean title to the property himself. Those things can and do happen but infrequently, and this isn't a scam. That title insurance is on the hook to defend your title to the property, clean it up if necessary or pay you or your lender in the event a superior claim to your dirt arises.

The radio ads for "title lock" or whatever purport to "protect" you against people who fraudulently file documents to make it look as if they own your property, and then the fraudsters supposedly borrow against that, leaving you to foot the bill. I am unaware of that happening at all, let alone a wave of it, and I think that buying "title lock" is a scam.

THIS... NEVER buy a home or land without title insurance... NEVER

OP never said anything about this. But, carry on.

Fugking Amazing.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

And yet another one that can't follow along.

Geebus.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys are confusing two very different things. One is a scam (OP's question) and the other is smart business for clear title - I had to use the latter myself and they paid ALL my legal fees.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

^^^^^^^
This

With abstract of title, NOTHING else is necessary.
THAT is my point which did not need to be said.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

^^^^^^^
This

With abstract of title, NOTHING else is necessary.
THAT is my point which did not need to be said.

He never asked about that!!@@!

That's my point!!!

Stop ass-uming and f****** read.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.