Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Back in the 1950s we hunted desert big horn in in Bryce and Canyon Lands, Arches, before they became National Parks, we camped on the Colorado river just north of Moab Utah. We also floated the Grand Canyon on Colorado with the Hatch brothers, before they damned the Colorado, at Glen Canyon,
Lots of native sign in that area,

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Morewood
Chapter 1. Look Down

That could be a whole book. My father found them in places where I least expected. Like a weed-littered lot behind a rural gas station.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Near where I grew up, there's a large piece of state public hunting land. It runs along the Potomac River. That area was heavily settled by Indians. When I was a kid, my father used to take me out and hit those fields in the Spring after they plowed and it rained. That was his strategy. Most of the heads and points were white quartz which makes them easier to see once the rain washes them off.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Slumlord mentions the flipping stick. Absolute must have piece of kit, saves you from bending over 632 times to look at every white or shiny rock. We make them out of a golf club shaft. Glue a small carriage bolt or large headed self tapping screw into the end of the shaft so you can use the washer head to hook under and flip stuff. Super lightweight and doubles for whopping snakes if the need arises.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cookie and I find some points once in while, but not really much of substance. Having several obsidian sources of various colors in the region and a good bit on our property, I took up knocking out my own. Look really great mounted in shadow boxes. A challenging but cheap hobby good for empting the mind when affairs start getting to one. Several how to books and videos out there. Some of the best books are by a gentleman with Waldorf as a last name.

Pepsi bottle cap for scale,
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

and a quarter (about 1 inch wide) for scale here.

In the arid west proximity to good perennial water or food sources. When I lived back east good river bottom crop lands.

If one can't find nearby flint, glass bottle bottoms or even broken up toilet tanks are good materials.
A measured 4 1/4 inches

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/20.

1Minute
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Those spear points are breath-taking! My father found several, including two that qualify as "Clovis" points, and were dated 10k-7k BC.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just go to the opposite end from the fletching.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High ground near water source either plowed or dig em out! Have permission first!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've been looking for arrow heads for 40 years and only found one spear point so far. And ended up giving it to the new land owner as a house warming gift.

I've found near a bushel right off Cochran Short Route.. in one location. Hunt spring after plowing to plant.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll be durn, back in the 50s, I was gettin ready to lay ‘er down after 30 years at Johns Manville

😂

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.