Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ruger should get with Kynoch ammo and come out with some real African cartridges instead of the .280 AI.

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/cartridge%20collection.html

A .318 would have been, as Ingwe says, skookum.

Yes,a .318 or even the .350 Rigby would be "skookum."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
And if they really wanted to sell a schitt load, they'd chamber a .300 H&H...

Will it fit the M77 action?

Probably not without modifications. It can be made to fit a standard Mauser, so why not a 77?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Doesn't Ruger make an action that a .300 H&H will fit in?

I ask cause Ruger made a .375 H&H and the .416 Rigby many moons ago.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RemModel8
8x57

^^^^ A far better choice than the 280ai.

I think Lipsey made a mistake. There is no IMHO lineage between the 280 (Ackley or the 7mm Remington Express version) and Africa. I think it's solely because the 280ai is a "hot round" right now, and they're trying to pull off a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment. Not working. Be like having a 6 Creedmoor African.

Murphy was a grunt.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Yes. The RSM action is a full-length magnum action.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And if they really wanted to sell a schitt load, they'd chamber a .300 H&H...

Will it fit the M77 action?

Probably not without modifications. It can be made to fit a standard Mauser, so why not a 77?

I've handled, but not shot, one reworked from 7RM to a 7-300WBY. The owner was very happy with it.

Sean
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What do I know here? Not much, but the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African is just a platform that has lots of class with the barrel band sling stud, the black fore end tip and the 2 crossbolts, which are for aesthetics only. It has a 24" barrel one weight heavier than most Hawkeyes.
Just because it is called the African model, doesn't mean you can only use it in Africa.
The 280 AI is a classy cartridge and my current favorite in my Ruger No.1A.
For those suggesting those obscure English rounds, Ruger will not even consider chambering a firearm in a cartridge without SAAMI specs.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
If this rifle was chambered one 30-06 and the barrel was 22 inches, I’d have one ordered.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
If this rifle was chambered one 30-06 and the barrel was 22 inches, I’d have one ordered.

I would buy a 24" barrel over a 22" barrel every time.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
What do I know here? Not much, but the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African is just a platform that has lots of class with the barrel band sling stud, the black fore end tip and the 2 crossbolts, which are for aesthetics only. It has a 24" barrel one weight heavier than most Hawkeyes.
Just because it is called the African model, doesn't mean you can only use it in Africa.
For those suggesting those obscure English rounds, Ruger will not even consider chambering a firearm in a cartridge without SAAMI specs.

Agreed, and a select few gun buyers have ever heard of some of these rounds.

I can remember very well when 8x57 Remington 700 Classics being sold for $350 new in the box. And even at that price most were being purchased as donors.

For me, nostalgia only goes so far, and I am quickly disillusioned with low-pressure under-performing rounds.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 9X57MM Mauser was a popular round in Africa around WWI but I seriously doubt if Ruger would make any rifles in that caliber.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fremont
8x57

I think Lipsey made a mistake. There is no IMHO lineage between the 280 (Ackley or the 7mm Remington Express version) and Africa. I think it's solely because the 280ai is a "hot round" right now, and they're trying to pull off a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment. Not working. Be like having a 6 Creedmoor African.

You couldn't give me an obsolete 8X57

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just a thought previously mentioned, but a 7x64 (the original 280) would have been nice.
When they do a run of them in 30-06 I'll buy one to join my 6.5x55 African.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno

Agreed, and a select few gun buyers have ever heard of some of these rounds.

I can remember very well when 8x57 Remington 700 Classics being sold for $350 new in the box. And even at that price most were being purchased as donors.

For me, nostalgia only goes so far, and I am quickly disillusioned with low-pressure under-performing rounds.

Paid 349 for mine,last thing on my mind was using it for a donor.It's funny American 8x57 ammo is loaded low pressure yet the European ammo is far from low pressure. Most African rds historically were not loaded to the pressure levels the 280 AI operate at because of tropical heat raising pressure levels even higher. Now with the advent of temperature insensitive powders maybe that is not as big of concern. I would guess it is the styling that people want more than the intent to use it in Africa. At $1300+ I haven't run out and bought one yet. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps they are planning on the styling of the rifle as a selling point. Ruger African is a cool rifle. 280 A.I. is a cool cartridge. Although to me, they don't compliment each other. Lots of folks just want a cool cartridge in a cool looking rifle and really don't know or care about traditional African ordnance. If they chambered it in 6.5 Creed they probably couldn't keep up with demand.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
8x57

I wouldn't even try to. I'm betting you could use some Flomax though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ken that was their "Express" model...a big ass heavy gun compared to a standard 77.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
8x57

I wouldn't even try to. I'm betting you could use some Flomax though.

Don't think tha I am like you, just kee pool your flowmax

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Ken that was their "Express" model...a big ass heavy gun compared to a standard 77.

Tom,that's the one I was thinking of.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
8x57

Or a Ruger 77 for that matter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.