-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, I planted 3 dwarf sweet cherry trees. 2 years ago, they were big enough to produce a little but we lost them to frost 2 years in a row. Finally, this year - success. I picked 7 gal yesterday and the 3d tree will be ready in a week. It'll probably have 2 gal on it. We lost maybe a gal or so when the wind tore the net off 1 of the trees while we were gone and the #$%^& robins ruined them. I wouldn't mind them eating some cherries but they just peck each one. The ruin far more than they eat.

We just bag and freeze them right off the tree. We eat them when they're still partly frozen. It's quick, easy, and delicious.

These trees are replacements for 2 standard sized trees I took out a few years ago. They were too big to pick for an old coot. Also they were too big to net and around here, you net them or lose them to the birds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do they still grow cherries in the canyon by Clear Lakes? Used to go down there and pick up what we needed. I love cherries, but growing up in an orchard, I seem to have developed an allergy to cultivating fruit trees.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That allergy comment is sorta funny Dutch.

RockChuck, Do you remember what variety of dwarf trees you planted? I'm always looking for another tree to plant. Lost the first cherry tree here to a gopher eating the roots the first winter it was in the ground. Planted 5 trees across the creek in our good dirt this spring. They have a 1/2 in hardware cloth cage around the planting hole.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago, I planted 3 dwarf sweet cherry trees. 2 years ago, they were big enough to produce a little but we lost them to frost 2 years in a row. Finally, this year - success. I picked 7 gal yesterday and the 3d tree will be ready in a week. It'll probably have 2 gal on it. We lost maybe a gal or so when the wind tore the net off 1 of the trees while we were gone and the #$%^& robins ruined them. I wouldn't mind them eating some cherries but they just peck each one. The ruin far more than they eat.

We just bag and freeze them right off the tree. We eat them when they're still partly frozen. It's quick, easy, and delicious.

These trees are replacements for 2 standard sized trees I took out a few years ago. They were too big to pick for an old coot. Also they were too big to net and around here, you net them or lose them to the birds.

I planted some on my property in Maine. We were pretty much past the zone Where they could grow but I’m found the most cold hearty species I could. A friend who lived just up the road from me did the same. Mine ended up growing but his died. Maybe he didn’t care for his the same as me, IDK.

At any rate, cherries are my all time favorite fruit bearing tree. Beautiful to look at and the fruit is wonderful. Enjoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Val, mind you this was long, long ago, in a country, far, far away, but the size of the fruit tree is pretty much unrelated to the variety. Fruit trees are t-budded onto rootstock, and the rootstock determines the growth of the tree. So you can have the same variety on dwarf, semi-dwarf or full size. Just depends what rootstock they use.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm happy for you

For the second year in a row, frost got all my peaches frown

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.