Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I drew and cut out a running rabbit from German Silver and inlaid it into the cheek piece so it's now ready for sanding and carving.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes sir Steve, one would need a "non-resident" hunting license. That would include everything but deer and turkey. I don't know about hunting license but for fishing there is a three day non-resident permit. I've not had to look into it but there might be the same thing for hunting. Missouri also has the rule that if you're over 65 a resident doesn't need a general hunting license. I don't know if that applies to non-residents or not. Missouri Dept. of Conservation has changed some licensing requirements the last year or so and their web site would be where to look.

Now, this is just me musing out loud. If I was coming to Missouri to squirrel hunt.....on private property like someone's farm or the farm of a friend or someone's recreational property......where the odds of seeing any kind of agent during squirrel season are about a billion to one....well, not that I'd condone it but I don't know that I'd worry about it for squirrels. You ain't gonna hurt the population any. I only have 26 acres and I've killed 75 or more a year for a couple years....doesn't seem to have made much of a dent.

The season opens the Saturday of the weekend of Memorial Day and runs through Feb. 15th following. Those first few weeks are almost always good with the young of the year mostly weaned and on their own. Especially if you can find some Mulberry trees. As with anything, those young are the best eating. Mid July through October and even into November is also good if there's much of a nut crop. Obviously while it's hot the ticks and chiggers and heat are going to be.....miserable. I used to hunt the hickory nuts but got to where I am not putting up with the heat, sweat, chiggers and ticks.....and spider webs. I don't go in the woods that time of year. Once the nuts and acorns are finished they like to chow down on dogwood berries and they're busy burying nuts.

It isn't hunting big game in the Rockies but there is something magical about watching the Ozark woods wake up on an early spring or early fall morning. And, spring or fall, there's always the possibility of finding a mess of several kinds of delicious mushrooms. Then you can have a feast that rich folks envy.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
szihn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Sharps. It would be 2-3 years before I could go. I have sch a back logn going that I don't take any time for myself except hunting seasons and about 5 days around Christmas. Other then those, I work 6-1/2 day a week and my summer days are 16 hours long, 100% of which is in the shop. Winters I work 10 hours a day or there-abouts.
I am in my mid 60s now, and I feel very uncomfortable about having long backlogs. I stopped taking new work about 4 years ago, and i am down to a 3 year back long now. Until my backlog is down to no more then 6 months, I am not taking any time off, and I am not taking on new work. So it would be a few years, but going after tree squirrels is something I have always wanted to do.

This little rifle is one I have had planned for 25 years. I started chipping away at it about 5 years ago. I don't do much work for my own guns,m but I sneak in an hour or 2 every month. It's ready to fire now. I am hoping to have it done in the winter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.