Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15022192 07/04/20
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually hit the range today, if only briefly. Work schedule went from reduced (36) hours to 72 hours forced for the mid-summer outage. Next week we're back to 36 hours and eleven millwrights are laid off permanently. Jobs eliminated.
Such is the day we live in.

Stopped at the range this morning on my way to meet friends for breakfast. Time was short, but I'd been experimenting with dry firing on the timer app a bit at home and wanted to fire a string with live ammo.

I fired a group of 10 off the bags, untimed. Was happy with a 5.25" out-out group.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Set up the timer app and fired a 5 shot string, standing offhand. I borrowed Bluedreaux's 12X20" 100 yard target idea and started from high port with the bolt open, when I tapped on the timer and waited for the beep.
Embarrassed beyond words at how long the first shot took, but here's the target.

And here's the timer.

Needed to wrap up and get to breakfast but I also did 3 for 5 on the the 8" gong at 100

Foillowed that with 2 for 5 using the marlin 1894 on the same gong

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If anyone else is using the ipsc android app, is there a way to reset it without exiting the app, and restarting?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice pattern, what choke are you using? #4 Buck?

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Nice pattern, what choke are you using? #4 Buck?

Link to your offhand 100 yard group pic please?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not bad at all. Don’t worry about the doubters, they usually won’t show anything without a bench and built up position.

I’ve rearranged some of my guns and ordered another red dot for a “truck gun” so I’ll be zeroing a few and then get back to shooting offhand again.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not too bad considering it was offhand at 100 yards. I know the op said it was "timed", but damn that's a long time. He won't be shooting blues challenge for a while. But for just offhand at 100 and no time limit, it's not bad. I'd say if you are shooting into a pie plate or paper plate consistently at 100, you are doing pretty good offhand at 100. One thing I can say is at least the group is centered on the target. Not too bad. Was it iron sight? The 5.5" group off the bags is still a bit big, with plenty of room for improvement. That is what practice is for. As for "range time", take advantage of that any chance you can..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's all just fun TWR...

I'm a fat old man, ready to retire and I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks of my shooting. And I'll readily admit that this is all just a memory lane trip for me. I'm not likely gonna face bad guys and use an AR to save the world.

But I do enjoy the shooting, and even the give and take with knuckleheads and piss-ants that wanna ride everyone down. Gonna keep practicing as time allows. And Weather... Tried to fish for a couple of hours this afternoon and got way too hot for an old guy...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I know the op said it was "timed", but damn that's a long time. He won't be shooting blues challenge for a while. But for just offhand at 100 and no time limit, it's not bad.

Nearly had time for a couple of outhouse trips between some of those shots...

And I was trying to hurry as I was meeting some buddies.

Smooth is fast, my aching ass.
Fast is fast...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by johnw
. . . . . . . I'm not likely gonna face bad guys and use an AR to save the world.

Despite what many cul de sac commandoes envision,
NOBODY else is either

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll claim smooth for now to salvage my pride...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Not too bad considering it was offhand at 100 yards. I know the op said it was "timed", but damn that's a long time. He won't be shooting blues challenge for a while. But for just offhand at 100 and no time limit, it's not bad. I'd say if you are shooting into a pie plate or paper plate consistently at 100, you are doing pretty good offhand at 100. One thing I can say is at least the group is centered on the target. Not too bad. Was it iron sight? The 5.5" group off the bags is still a bit big, with plenty of room for improvement. That is what practice is for. As for "range time", take advantage of that any chance you can..

Yeah, I'm using irons...

My eyes seem to do ok for most shooting, but I still get a little fuzz on the front post with some targets. Wanna say the red oval is the best I've used in that regard.

I was also out early enough this morning that the entire range was in shadow, and I do believe that sharpened things up for me a bit.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
. . . . . . . I'm not likely gonna face bad guys and use an AR to save the world.

NOBODY else is either

Yep... it’s all fun and games until someone is shooting back at you.. I recall a tale a happened in Iraq 06-07 timeframe. Troops moving along a route one of the trucks hits a ied all he breaks loose. They are in a TIC (troops in contact) It got chaotic real fast. One of the medics froze they were yelling at him to get out and return fire. He sat in the uparmor shaking his head no he was t getting out and he didn’t want to die. Needless to say, that young individual was pulled from
The platoon and relegated to aid station duty

Last edited by 79S; 07/04/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Ranger99

NOBODY else is either

Yep... it’s all fun and games until someone is shooting back at you.. I recall a tale a happened in Iraq 06-07 timeframe. Troops moving along a route one of the trucks hits a ied all he breaks loose. They are in a TIC (troops in contact) It got chaotic real fast. One of the medics froze they were yelling at him to get out and return fire. He sat in the uparmor shaking his head no he was t getting out and he didn’t want to die. Needless to say, that young individual was pulled from
The platoon and relegated to aid station duty

Yeah, all the mall ninjas forget that police and
military have TRAINING, and they can call for
BACKUP
I'll be hiding in the bushes while rambo is getting
his scalp peeled off by the mad max boys and
they're fighting over his gear

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Range time is good for the soul. Good group therapy goes a long way.. At least the op is getting out and doing some shooting. Hell, sometimes I'll just go for the exercise ha ha.. Shoot a group of 10 shots, walk down to the target stand, pull the target off and staple up a new one. Walk back. I did that the other day 36 times.. That works out to be 7200 yards, or roughly 4 miles.. 360 rounds downrange too and a lot of damn brass prep when I got back to the house!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If anyone else is using the ipsc android app, is there a way to reset it without exiting the app, and restarting?

?????

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (12344mag, 1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.