Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Put it together today for the .45-70. 390 grains of lead, 50 grains of smokeless, start to finish...casting, case prep and loading. I'm fairly certain it can contribute favorably towards quelling riots and such.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the way you think---

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder, is ‘five-fer’ a word?

grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YESSIR, equal opportunity destroyer, come one, come all, step right up!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a 492gr 16 to 1 alloy flat nosed grease groove bullet I shoot in my 1892 year model '86 Winchester in 45-70, over 70gr OE 2FG black, it just shot lengthways through a steel 55 gal drum filled with water, quiet a sight to see, and has me scratching my head trying to figure what modern smokeless expanding soft nose bullet from ANY cartridge/caliber would do the same.

I keep drawing zeros! ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, I normally shoot 530 gr Hindenburgs over BP with the gun and am not the least surprised by the penetration you described. OTOH I don’t see wasting quality loads on riffraff. Nah, I’d rather get rid of some old harder alloy, gas checks and -kaff- smokeless powder. Vaccination is a lot cheaper than Precision. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan you are a hoot . keeping the BP for special occasions grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gunner, I normally shoot 530 gr Hindenburgs over BP with the gun and am not the least surprised by the penetration you described. OTOH I don’t see wasting quality loads on riffraff. Nah, I’d rather get rid of some old harder alloy, gas checks and -kaff- smokeless powder. Vaccination is a lot cheaper than Precision. laugh

LOL, well hell Dan, in that case I wouldn't even flux the pot, give them the trash and all ; ]

I'm going to have a re-shoot, will patch holes in drum with silicone, then move it directly in front of an oak tree, re fill with water, I want one of those bullets back.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pics would be appreciated.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I can make that happen with a little help from Wife, said she could even e-mail a short movie or send pics to e-mail from her phone. cool

Trump Won!
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You gotta post that video.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
You gotta post that video.

LOL, I have the drum patched with silicone and down by the oak tree, have to go sign some BS papers today, Wife said we could video and send pics this evening before dark, maybe Dan or our big buddy Betetzs can post pics or maybe even video, it's all above my pay grade.....................'cept the shootin' part. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i will get my popcorn ready grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Seven pics on the way to Dan's e-mail, Wife had storage? issues with her cell, wouldn't let her film the whole video, little '86 in 45-70 done it again, full pass through on 55 gal drum of water at 25 yards with enough snot left to bury deep enough in the oak that I couldn't dig it out with a set of side cutters, i'll get it out with a short shop hammer and chisel later.

492gr flat nosed grease groove bullet at 16 to 1 alloy, 1256 fps from the rifles 24 inch barrel.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 44mc
i will get my popcorn ready grin

Wish I'd of had a movie to go with your popcorn 44, will have to do a repeat when Wife gets her phone emptied out some.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I'm from Washington and I'm here to help. laugh

What you see here is an innocent drum looking for a purpose in life.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And in the background an innocent oak tree or something of that sort that picked an unfortunate spot to sprout.

I never knew that Mayhem used a lever-matic!

And whaddya know, the barrel got all puffed up and indignant...

And leaky

Woe is the tree...send prayers

Moral of the tale? Don't hide behind a barrel full of water, it may not help at all. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cool. A buff is essentially a 2000 lb bag of water and they didn't stop them either.

Prayers sent for the tree. Din do nuffin.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HAHA, hell of a deal, Thanks for posting the pics Dan, great narration too, very eloquently put ; ]

CrowRifle, you bet, I don't know how hard that oak is, but, a cast lead soft nosed bullet that has enough starch left 'after' punching a drum full of water to completely bury itself beyond sight had a hell of a lot more to offer, the bullet is 1.230 long, it may be one that answers Dan's "five-fer" inquiry earlier in this thread.

Hope you readers don't mind, I backed the big batwing brush hog down against the oak to clean the place up a bit for our viewing pleasure, and also to go with my new kung-fu-flu haircut, yup, just throw your shirt on a sawhorse, grab the horse shears and put that crap in the shop floor. grin

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hell, launch one of them 700 grain .50s through it!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It might not make it. A750 grainer from a 577 Nitro Express double rifle at 2206 fps didn't make it. A 396 grain flatnosed paper patch from a 40-65 Sharps did, however. So did a round nosed Govt. bullet from a Sharps 45-120 as well as a 45-110 Sharps.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 07/08/20.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I can see that. I know the .40-70 was a penetrating SOB when i shot it

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
Hell, launch one of them 700 grain .50s through it!

grin, I know damn well my 50 with 750ggr grease groove bullet would penetrate that drum, would most likely wreck it to the point of not being able to patch and use it again, we'd have to get approval from Dan before we trash up his 45-70 thread talking about the 50-90 Basher ; ]

At 25 yards the 577 Nitro with 750gr Barnes TXS at 2075 fps pulled the threads on the filler lid, it came dancing back to me on my right, blew the main clamped on lid, spilt the drum at the seam and put a big dog knot in the bottom of the drum, the hygraulic/displacement? or whatever it was has to be seen to be believed.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan the still pics.director .the play by play commentator for the drum killer . well done director and the killer grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, you tweaked my curiosity. My Hindenburg bullet is 1.328” long, a round nose. I’ve been casting them with 30:1 and using a duplex load with 4759 and Swiss 1.5. Guessing they are running about the same velocity as yours. Last time I shot it put 5 into about 1.5” at 100, elbow rest and tang sight. Might try some of that 16:1 just for giggles. Maybe even mount the scope?

Funny how slow lead penetrates so well. Pigs hate it.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, and hell yes, I love 16 to 1, a very useful alloy, soft enough to bump up for paper patching with the added benefit of no nose slump, and plenty tough enough for hunting, I've read they even used 12 to 1 alloy back in the day for target shooting and hunting, 1.5" off elbows at 100 is some damn good shooting, you may cut that in half with a scope, I'd let er rip for fun, hell, we have a long time before 'venison' season is upon us.

BTW, my Wife LHBO at "Mayhem" grin You've inadvertently given that old '86 Lever Rifle a name, it will be forever known as "Mayhem" for the remainder of my days with it, Thanks ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Laffin’ here, glad I could help! Mrs. Dan is laffin’ too.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Almost forgot, if I may attempt connecting the dots, five-fer-one? if so, I believe you can get that with 16 or 30 to 1 ; ] I don't think pot, and soy built is very hardy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A stray thought occurs...head high aim....a perfect vacuum won’t slow it down at all. The possibilities are astounding!

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, couple of oddball parallels that perhaps illustrate the benefit of tin in the mix. About 20 years back I was on a quest to make a 77/44 shoot well, and along the way picked up a copy of Paul Matthew's "The Paper Jacket". Well, you know where that led.

The bullets are 300 grains, pure lead.

8 shots, 100 yards with a red dot sight. THEN I adjusted for zero. The ammo had been loaded in 2002.

Splat Factor: 10
Retained weight ~294 grains

I've shot pigs and deer with it, they don't take a first step after the pull of the trigger. None of the shots have exited so it's not a five-fer load, but it damn sure ends the parade. I have a couple hundred loaded, just in case.

The go to bullets for Thumper along with some Sneezer fodder:

My .45-70 load with neighbors, second from the right. The .44 is 3d from the right. Big one on the right is my truck gun load.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, with ears, nose and pie hole providing plenty of vent during the barge through, yes, they'd go for days ; ] was just talking yesterday to sharpsguy about soft alloy for light big game animals, I can see you're already there and then some, with the added benefit of re-melting/re-casting said larder fillers.

Yes, the big Lyman Gov bullet is a hammer for all, bar none, right alloy I have no doubt it's penetrate ele skull, the little 'sneezers' will deliver a message as far as you can see to send it.

Quite an array of wares, very nice, especially truck gun slug, this plainly tells us your gun truck has at least three axles ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay Dan, I have a couple questions, this is of course your thread, the 45-70, and pictured was a Lyman gov grease groove bullet, I have some of the big bullets loaded for my Shiloh Sharps 45-70, also have a brand new Steve Brooks mould with my idea of a 50 cal government bullet, they look identical to the 45's except they weigh 702.5 grains.

Question is, when Wife is ready to make us a video shooting the drum, would you rather see 45-70 or 50-90?

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I could roll either way with that. I heard that Saturday was "Be kind to your shoulder day"? Don't know that's true or not.

I have an acquaintance who owns an old slug gun that weighs about 40#. .56 caliber and he does his plinking with a 900 grain bullet. When he gets serious it uses a 1,300 grain 2 piece swagged bullet. I've watched him shoot with the 900 grain load w/250 grains of powder....ouch. My heaviest is a .50 that weighs 600 grains. I'm a puzzy.

Far right is the 900 grain monster. Next to it is a 800 gr .50 cal another friend shoots.

The .56 monster...in the back. You would not believe how well that thing shoots.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, one shot wont be too bad on a kind to the shoulder day, 10-4, perfect, since we all know the 458 cal government grease groove bullets shoot great and never fail to penetrate in a straight line, I best give my 50 cal version with new mould a shot at the barrel, I've already put the 458 cal through the drum, did it first loaded in a 45 3-1/4 at 1488 fps, believe it or not, that bullet sucked the sides of the drum in on exit, craziest thing I've ever seen.

I casted some of the 700gr 50 cals yesterday with 16 to 1 alloy, i'll use my 11 pound hunting weight 50-90 rifle for the test, it wears a 30 inch 22 twist #1 heavy barrel, same rifle I took to Africa and shot Eland and Sable bulls with.

Lord have mercy with that 56 cal monster, 1200 grains let loose even from a 40 lb rifle would still have to impart a great deal of torque, cant imagine the twist on that beast, I loaded and shot some 780gr 50 cal bullets in a 15 pound 50-90 Sharps, not fun, but accurate as hell, bet that 40 pounder would sit there and punch the same hole as long as you wanted to sit behind it.

Same thing I'm hoping for my 15 pound 50-90 and a case and a half of 'slow' Goex 1FG powder, I put 120gr under this new bullet yesterday and fired three over the chrono, 1158 fps av with [2 fps E.S!!!!!] smile........it should be a hell of an accurate, lower recoil gong shooting load.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You guys are nucking futs! But keep it coming.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Crow, are you.....disturbed?

Welcome to the show. BOOM!

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would love to try that svelte little 40 pound rook rifle on crows, so I guess I am.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Funny thing. When you hit a crow with a 45-110 and a 535 grain paper patched bullet, it doesn't blow them up. It punches a hole through them, and maybe knocks out a couple of feathers. Same thing with a 40-70 Sharps Straight or a 40-65. Kills them graveyard dead if you hit them at the butt of the wings, but hit them a little far back, and they will get up and fly off--and then fall out of the air.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Shot a big Fox Squirrel with the .45-70 with the Gov’t Bullet at a little under 150 yards. He was facing me head on and the bullet hit him under the eyes and went straight down his belly. That was the second animal I shot that was actually gutted by a bullet. It was a clean hole in his head and the bullet just traversed the body perfectly.

Last edited by pacecars; 07/10/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that 56. monster needs some wagon wheels & a oak frame . thats a fine artillery piece

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Funny thing. When you hit a crow with a 45-110 and a 535 grain paper patched bullet, it doesn't blow them up. It punches a hole through them, and maybe knocks out a couple of feathers. Same thing with a 40-70 Sharps Straight or a 40-65. Kills them graveyard dead if you hit them at the butt of the wings, but hit them a little far back, and they will get up and fly off--and then fall out of the air.

Interesting, I hit a coyote pup at 200 yards with my 44-77 Sharps and 477gr paper patch bullet, as the smoke left my right side vision I saw him reach the top of his trajectory and tumble end over end back to the ground, funny things these cool Buffalo Rifles! wink

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When I had my business rifle built, I asked if they could do a 30" round barrel instead of the std 28" ,they said yeah they could ,I asked how that barrel contour would compare to the one they use for the #2 Creedmoor silhouette barrel ,she laughed and said it's the same barrel. I then requested it chambered with an original style and dimensions 45 2 7/8 reamer. This reamer leaves fired brass .473" at the case mouth. So you only resize full length new brass ONCE ever and just clean after use and reload just like the originals. No you can't get a loaded grease groove bullet in the chamber. All I shoot in my Shilohs are paper patch bullets. I have two molds both are by KAL Tool out of Sask. Both are 45 TGBs designs one at .440 and the other at .442" they are length and weight adj. From about 350 to 620 grains depending on alloy. I use the .440" mold set at 1.47" for around 540 grains and patched with Bienfang vellum to .4495".I've gotten my best groups at 1 to 60 alloy with $20 /lb tin that's damn cheap shooting. While my 45 2.1" guns with std chambers and 7• leades need 1 in 30 for best groups cost more to cast for with th.442 mold and 9 lb onionskin paper at 520 grs.I 've used both for gong shoots and the 45 2 7/8" is a hunting gun at heart that has shown it's mettle at 1000 yds to a mile, that's why I call it the " All Business Rifle" with a MVA XLR Buffalo Soule sight on back and a Lee Shaver replaceble aperature front it's ready for anywhere ,any distance. Only one gun and they are Shiloh 74's .MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Alright, a little prelude, Big 50-90 Sharps just sent a 700gr grease groove "Drum Executioner" through the chrono at 1427 fps, will be interesting to see what it does compared to the 45-70 492gr bullet at 1245 fps, both bullets cast with 16 to 1 alloy, I'm leaning hard on this 50 trying to make it fail, we shall see, going to try for another video before dark.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Well damn, I need more garden hose, first test with 45-70 hit right side on the tree, I held a bit left to try and center the tree, I missed it, 50 punched straight through the drum, massive entry and exit holes, have to move drum closer to tree and have a re-shoot.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Consider this a teaser....I await delivery of the movie. In Technicolor. Starring MAYHEM!!!

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, damn the pressures on now ; ] if I live through picking three rows of beans in the morning starting at daybreak, i'll grab another water hose when in town, going to take tomorrows beans to Mom so she can snap and can them, i'll set the drum closer to the tree and have a re-shoot.

That 50 knocked the ever living hell out of that drum. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Give or take a few grains that bullet is the same weight as the M2 ball. Half the velocity. Of all the arms I faced in Nam the 12.7mm(.50 cal) was the worst. They hardly slowed down when wandering thru a chopper.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Dan, I am, always have been, and forever will be, a believer in 'momentum'...................it's a hell of a force.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gunner, you still alive? Survive the bean picking?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So, what do we have here? A 500 yard squirrel rifle? Billy Dixon's plinker? Those cases look big enough to burn thru a pound of black in about a dozen tries. Hmmmmmm I might need one of these.

Fill us in Mr. Mayhem! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Yes MB, I'm alive, but barely ; ]

Dan, that box was shot at 200 yards with my 15lb bull barrel 50-90, it's the same bullet I shot the drum with in my 11lb hunting weight 50-90, the big bull gun came with a case and a half of old Goex 1FG powder, I tried to find a use for it, with 120 grains of it in the case, the chrono read 1158 fps with a 2 fps extreme spread, I fired those four rounds without wiping or blow tubing, it's a hell of an accurate load, and one i'll cut loose on the 700 yard gong with next.

Old Eynsford 2FG will send the big 700gr greaser to 1427 fps in the 11 pound 50-90, it's a hell of a hammer indeed, but, this bull gun at 1158 fps with the old Goex is going to be a lot of fun smacking the gongs at 1158 fps, I love these damn rifles! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, curiosity only, how do you stuff 120 gr in a -90 case? It’s a stretch for me to put 70 in a -70 case.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, I use a drop tube, can get 130 grains of Swiss 1FG in the Starline 50-90 cases, 120gr of the Goex 1FG is about max, it's a bit fluffier and lighter, 120gr Old Eynsford 2FG will easily compress under the 700 or big 750gr flat nosed grease groove bullets.

I run 73grs in my 45-70 cases in the Shiloh Sharps, drop tube makes it easy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OK, mebbe I need a longer drop tube. I compress it too, but there be a limit to such things.

Thanks!

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're most welcome, I also pour real slow, btw, Winchester cases have the most capacity in 45-70.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I pour slow as well, but had not compared case capacities. Kind of ironic circumstances, but when I prepped for delivery of the -70 I purchased WW brass, couple hundred cases. Before the gun was delivered a couple of local jokers passed along....are you ready....a pile of -70 brass, most of it used, and mostly of brands other than WW. I’ve been trying to wear out the old stuff w/ little success. I did pass along some of it to another fella with needs. I only have about 400 pieces left. frown

Off on another tangent, I try to keep compression to about .030” or less, but have gone as far as .080”. Where is your stop sign on that?

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gunner, I picked up an original 74 Business rifle the other day in 45 2.1"" with a really good barrel. after I got home with it and done staring at it I put up a target at the 50 yd butt. 1 flyer I called and 4 in less than 2" with ammo loaded for my Shilohs. I'll work some 420 grain ppb's and 75 hrs fg for it and see what it will do. You know it was almost a religious experience making smoke and drilling holes with a 144 year old buffalo gun, I celebrated with 2 good beers. MB

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
grin Dan, You best get to using that good WW 45-70 brass, 400 sticks of that would last both of us if we lived to be 200 at black powder pressure levels ; ] I was reading this awhile ago, but on the phone and couldn't type, that conversation led me to my load shop, while there I had a look in my Sharps Rifle load book, in my 50-90 with the big 750gr greaser that ran through 8 or 9 feet of Eland bull in Africa, I compress 120gr Old Eynsford 2FG a full .875 thou [with] a 30 thou Walters card wad on top, that load is one of the most accurate I have.

The only thing I've ever found in compressing the hell out of black powder is a 'good' pressured up, MUCH more clean burning load, have had no accuracy issues when compressing powder more than others on the web have stated, I mash on it when need be. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Gunner, I picked up an original 74 Business rifle the other day in 45 2.1"" with a really good barrel. after I got home with it and done staring at it I put up a target at the 50 yd butt. 1 flyer I called and 4 in less than 2" with ammo loaded for my Shilohs. I'll work some 420 grain ppb's and 75 hrs fg for it and see what it will do. You know it was almost a religious experience making smoke and drilling holes with a 144 year old buffalo gun, I celebrated with 2 good beers. MB

DAMN! congrats on all that Magnum Bob, I was gifted an original factory 1869 Sharps conversion buffalo rifle last year in 45-110, it's a Bridgeport conversion with 30 inch heavy barrel and buckhorn barrel sights, it has some kind of silver coin of the day for a front sight, sharpsguy here on the campfire gave me a 45 cal. Mos mould that's a direct copy of some of the original paper patch bullets the Buffalo hunters used, I cast it soft at 35 to 1 alloy, sharpsguy also told me the original load for the 45-110 from the Sharps Rifle factory was 100 gr of 1FG, well, what do you know, we loaded the rifle that way and it hit dead on out to 200 yards.

He also turned me a brand new firing pin out on his lathe, gave me near 100 sticks of new Norma 45-110 brass, 10lbs of Goex Express 1FG powder and installed a set screw between the triggers he has had in his box for near 40 years, he also set and tuned the triggers, I think he really likes that old Buffalo Rifle! wink

I took the rifle on a last day buck hunt over in Arkansas on a foggy drizzling morning, kept the rifle and paper patch ammo under my wool coat as I sat in a quickly throw together ground blind, at a hard 9 o'clock a very wide 6pt buck appeared at about 25 yards, I shot him dead in the chest, he dropped and never moved, the 514gr round nosed paper patch bullet exited right beside his nut sack, what a hell of a hunt I had with that old rifle, I was even able to flip the switch on my go-pro as I saw the buck making his way towards me, i have every bit of it on film! ; ]

You've got to get your Buffalo Rifle out this fall and make some meat.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That be the plan. Right now I have an archery tag ,a statewide any deer muzzle loader tag, and East River 59A any whitetail tag. In 2 wks I'll put in for a left over West river rifle tag or 2.. need to put in now for antelope tags. From what I've seen so far with good light on the sights and cross sticks that gun should be fine to 200 yards anyway. I've used my50 3.25 " on 1 buff 2 mule deer and 2 antelope it does work. My 110 has only done a nice buck antelope and a buff but works as well. So yeah I'm looking forward to it. All I've ever shot out of the Shilohs for hunting has been paper patch ,my 110 has an original tight style chamber as well as my 40-90 2 5/8" SBN you can't even chamber a round loaded with greasers in those 2. Shooting black and ppb's on game, you get to travel back in time like no other thing can do. MB

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DDan, big thing on black powder capacity is in my mind, shooting deep seated greasers wastes powder space. I patch to bore dia on my loads. So a .026" hard card on top the black , 3/16" lube wad, another .026" card then seat the patched bullet maybe 1/8". Yeah the whole bullet is damn near in the rifling which of course is the finest inline seater there is. Last years 45 2.1" loads were with 81.5 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg and I know of others who used even more. MB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I thank you both on the compression info, and now I'm going to put on my stompin' boots. laugh

I do OK with BP, but still have a lot to learn. Except for my flinter....got that one wired.

I have a propensity to seat them long as well and I like paper patchin'. Actually....I love it. grin

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
OK so I have a number 1 in 45.70 that I love. Will probably leave that as is for a walking around rifle. But if a virgin was looking to pay homage to Lord Black, would you recommend a BPCR or Sharps for busting his cherry?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Crow, I don't know it matters much. Your #1 can do the job if you wish, or you can find something else to play with. Keep in mind that if you start loading heavy bullets with full charges you'll understand why "Thumper" is such a popular name for favorite guns. I found it helps keep arthritis at bay however. grin

Sometime back one of my buddies was shooting 500 gr paper patch from a Marlin Cowboy gun although with smokeless. Recoil was stout, precision was was stupid good. Lord knows that no man ever suffered from owning a Sharps.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dan "Lord knows that no man ever suffered from owning a Sharps" is definitely a good as sig line material I've ever seen. MB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob--A couple of questions about the Business Rifle, if you don't mind. Does it have the military buttplate? Also what is the length of pull?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Military rifle butt plate.lop is13 3/4" from the belly of the trigger to the belly of the butt. Single trigger from the factory, my gun collector bud had Dr Lawbowski on the phone, he found the serial and said it was shipped as a single trigger gun. According to Sellars single trigger on a B gun was a fairly rare item. Invoice to B Kittredge in late 1876. Cool gun ,the guy who I got it from bought it as part of an estate of a local gun guy who had told him and showed him the gun several years back that he bought it at a ranch estate here in the BH's.the ranch was established in the late 1870's so it has some neat local provenance. MB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That'll work! Thanks for the reply. The other Business Rifles I have seen--three--all had the same buttplate and LOP, and all had DST. Today's Shilohs are too damned long, running 14 to 14 and a quarter inches. That is a great rifle you have there--congratulations.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I need to go measure the LOP on my old Buffalo Rifle too ; ] thought never occurred to me to check it.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Back when these rifles were used i the fields men were a lot smaller by average then they are now making the pull shorter.
All my Shiloh's have a 14" pull.
My .45-2.6 Axtell rifle has a 13" pull.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Back when these rifles were used i the fields men were a lot smaller by average then they are now making the pull shorter.
All my Shiloh's have a 14" pull.
My .45-2.6 Axtell rifle has a 13" pull.

Yes, and another reason the crescent steel butts frog the heck out of our shoulders, they just don't fit. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Fit is 90% of everything with rifles and shotguns, and something 90% of shooters don't understand. Maybe more. It's not just LOP, it's the entire geometry of stock and gun.

Some time back in the early '60s dad purchased a used Ithaca 37 for mom, a 20 ga. It never shot well and eventually the gun passed on to me. Investigation(s) followed. Someone had clipped the barrel a bit trying to open the choke from FC to something, it failed profoundly. Off to Briley for choke tubes, problem solved. Then I got married and the new lady wanted a scattergun, so I clipped the stock about 1". Worked for her. Then she fired me and left the gun behind.

Went quail hunting one long weekend and took it along for the ride. Friend admired it from a distance and fondled it a bit, said the LOP was way too short. (12-3/4") I ran 42 birds straight w/o a miss...he said in awe, "How the phuoc you doing that?" My dad smiled. I missed the next shot just to make them feel better, then bagged the next five. End of weekend, buddy still befuddled. He was primarily a rifle shooter and stuck in the basics when transferring his experience to shotguns. IT'S NOT JUST LOP THAT MATTERS.

I will however acknowledge that Danny DeVito probably couldn't use my guns effectively due to LOP. Probably....

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stock geometry plays a huge factor in how a gun fits and feels. I love the looks of Berretta O/U but when I throw them to my shoulder I am looking at the rib angled up. Luckily I have found that Ruger Ref Labels fit me perfectly. Close my eyes and pull up the gun and when I open my eyes get a perfect sight picture. Winchester 71 and a Steyr Model M Professional are the same way. The Shiloh straight grip stocks do to

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
An internet friend of mine I helped with getting his 40-70 bn up and running recently got a chance at at another 74 clone. A pre farmingdale Sharps it's heavy gun with a heavy 32" barrel chambered for 50-140 and has a genuine crescent butt. I saw the pics of it. My shoulder immediately started to hurt but as Kurt says you just need to shoulder it correctly. He is a young guy and tough so I'll give him load work help but I'm sure the shooting end will be no picnic. MB

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
An internet friend of mine I helped with getting his 40-70 bn up and running recently got a chance at at another 74 clone. A pre farmingdale Sharps it's heavy gun with a heavy 32" barrel chambered for 50-140 and has a genuine crescent butt. I saw the pics of it. My shoulder immediately started to hurt but as Kurt says you just need to shoulder it correctly. He is a young guy and tough so I'll give him load work help but I'm sure the shooting end will be no picnic. MB

Just let me at it Bob. I will get that Girly gun up and running for you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kurt it is not in my possession the bud has it in Texas. I had helped him with his 40-70 2.1" bn , to get it working right. This gun is a pre Farmingdale Sharps by Wolf D. From the pics it looks pretty nice, all the know it alls on the shiloh forum told him it wasn't worth anything. I told him to jump on it and I would him get it running. He is gonna shoot some deer and HOGS with it. I think 50's would definetly do a number on hogs. MB

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dan, just made a movie with 50-90 and 700gr gov greaser drum executioner at 1427 fps, it knocked a three finger sized exit hole in the drum bottom, also went deep enough in the oak I couldn't see the bullet base, just a larger drill bit is what it is, Wife is sending it to your e-mail right now, hope it comes through ; ]

Entrance is dead center a bit below the filler cap, force knocked the plug out of another earlier patched hole. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That be the plan. Right now I have an archery tag ,a statewide any deer muzzle loader tag, and East River 59A any whitetail tag. In 2 wks I'll put in for a left over West river rifle tag or 2.. need to put in now for antelope tags. From what I've seen so far with good light on the sights and cross sticks that gun should be fine to 200 yards anyway. I've used my50 3.25 " on 1 buff 2 mule deer and 2 antelope it does work. My 110 has only done a nice buck antelope and a buff but works as well. So yeah I'm looking forward to it. All I've ever shot out of the Shilohs for hunting has been paper patch ,my 110 has an original tight style chamber as well as my 40-90 2 5/8" SBN you can't even chamber a round loaded with greasers in those 2. Shooting black and ppb's on game, you get to travel back in time like no other thing can do. MB

Dang, I missed this post MB, You've got a hell of a fall planned, hope you tag out! smile

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Bob,
That is an interesting rifle. I personally would like to know the correct history of the rifle. I wonder what the start serial number Wolfgang used for the first rifle and where it falls.

My .44-77 Farmer I think is from the 80's and it's a fine shooter, A while back I found a little history for the Shiloh but I really would like to see more.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/blogs/leatherwood-hi-lux/the-rebirth-of-old-reliable-the-sharps-rifle-part-2#:~:text=Sharps%20Arms%20was%20founded%20in%201975%20by%20John,in%20Farmingdale%2C%20New%20York%20to%20do%20their%20manufacturing.

Last edited by Kurt71; 07/19/20.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I am flat tired of learning stuff today. My Google Fu is all wore out.

And I smiled 'til my cheeks hurts. The ones on my face....geesh!

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey gunner at this rate your gonna wear out that old tree. MB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just wait until his wife kicks his butt for killing her tree. FWIW, you boys that want to try this at home, forget it unless you have s 40 caliber or larger Sharps and a 420 grain or heavier bullet . 338, 300 mag, 7mm mag, 375 H&H need not apply. Just remember that a 577 Nitro Express did not exit out of the bottom of the drum. The big Sharps really is the Real Deal

Last edited by sharpsguy; 07/19/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, Thanks for all the google fu leg work Dan, I appreciate it, this will put to rest the 50's inability to penetrate.

Magnum Bob and sharpsguy, that is a pasture tree, those are mine! grin you can also see on the trunk it's a favorite cattle scratching tree, if/when it dies, i'll leave about a 3ft stump so the cows can continue scratching, the rest will be split and burned in the stove ; ]

On a serious note, did anyone notice how much water ran from that barrel from 16 seconds when the bullet hit till around 26 seconds? it had about washed to Wifes little brim pond down the hill, no way in hades could an animal survive a hit like that.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, I went back to the tree later after the water had ran off, inserted a screwdriver at least a half inch into the oak to find the bullet base, I wanted both bullets back, but chiseling them out would likely kill the tree very soon.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
HEY BIG FELLER, I HAVE ONE QUESTION......What is that wusy pad doing on that that buttstock LOL. and don't say you need the extra length of pull. LOL.
Awesome with the results on that barrel just about busting the seems LOL.
I don't think I would use a swimming pool to recover a bullet on the 5 foot shallow end.....Might have to get some flex seal LOL.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago the notorious Crossfireoops hosted a Campfire get together out in Sierra Vista and it was a good time for all. One of the more humorous events was Greg's generous offer to let one of the boys shoot his 8 bore caplock.

He only shot it once.....

I have a short video of that event I'll try to post.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
HAHAHA Kurt, yes indeed it's mainly the length of pull, I bought that rifle and my little Shiloh 45-70 used, have no idea if they're factory LOP, both wear slip on leather with the appropriate thickness recoil pad inside, when I shoulder a rifle with a good face plant on the buttstock, I don't want to struggle with trying to get behind the front sight, that cures it.

Plus, hard crowding 60 years old, father time may be stealing a bit of sharpness from my eyes, all my other Sharps rifles have no leather or pad on them, they must be factory LOP, I can manage that for clarity so far, that 50 cal 700gr grease groove bullet would let buckets of blood out of a buffalo, and no, I wouldn't test it in a swimming pool either. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go....keep an eye on the steel target out there on the 50 yd line.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh lord, I've only shot 800gr round balls from my 8 bore, that conical must weight twice that, SHEET! I bet it was funny ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, knocked the crap out of that 50 yard gong! cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It were humorous to be sure. The steel he shot was the sheep on the left....went down with a shockingly loud 'klang' like it had been hit by Thor's hammer. Guess on my part, the sheep steel probably weighed 50# or more.

I am..........disturbed.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
LOL, You will never get a ringer with that rifle smile

There was a feller that had a 4 bore flint at the Quigley one year and he asked me if I would like to shoot one shot. It was a heavy rifle and he said I will put a light load i it. I think he said 240 gr and the ball was a conical but I forgot the weight. I picked a spot on the crick bank and let it go but I never saw the impact because of the smoke smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
holly sh!! tts that slapped that goat down like a lighting bolt,

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It were humorous to be sure. The steel he shot was the sheep on the left....went down with a shockingly loud 'klang' like it had been hit by Thor's hammer. Guess on my part, the sheep steel probably weighed 50# or more.

Yes, hard to see/play a movie on this old dinosaur PC, I enlarged and watched it again, could only see the sheeps head the first time, I saw a basket racked 10pt buck go down like that after hitting it with my 8 Bore at 20 yards. grin also heard the KWAAPPP POPP CRACK BWAAATTTT!!! of that ball slapping the chit out of a stand of young planted pines on the other side of that buck! damn funny stuff.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.