Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
renegade50
What kind of steel and hardness you sharpening on a soft dry stone??????

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 07/05/20.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
renegade50
What kind of steel and hardness you sharpening on a soft dry stone??????

Already posted about the gist of it all, and about Buck 110,s which take an excellent edge.
Also have a 119 and a gerber dirk.
The 119 takes a razor edge but ya gotta use pressure to get hair.
The gerber dirk is probably super sharp to the average person, it can take a few hairs with alot of pressure.

Whatever they use for metalurgy.
Im sure someone can chime in about the science of the metal.
IDC.
Other answers below to your post which have been hit on previously.
Stone has spit on it when I use it.
It's a medium hard white and black speckled arkansas bought in 1985.

It's all about feel thru the blade.
If your wearing in a stone to where it has a curve into it.
Or see a blade line starting to curve in.

IMO your sanding/ grinding a blade with too much pressure and a really bad angle.
Or have a inferior stone or inferior metal in your knife/stone combo.

When what you should be seeking is a continuous unbroken readable angled edge with no dark spots or light refractions when held up to a light source.
Reading the pool of greyish blackish residue while sharpening will tell you things about the progress of your session also from start to finish.
Black line residue off the blade edge on the stone.
Small C shaped line residue off the edge of the blade on the stone
Transistion from start to finish of session of the color of the residue from dark to very light.
All while being worked.
Stroping a blade to get rid of the micro curl/burr on it from sharpening is important also.

Everyone has their ways of doing things and what works for them.

JMO....

Last edited by renegade50; 07/05/20. Reason: Wanted to elaborate, cause I'm a social butterfly......
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by doubletap
Mike, at this point in the game, why not just use a sharpening service. It’s inexpensive and it sounds like you have enough knives so you could keep one or two to use while you’re waiting on the next package of sharp knives.

You could learn to use a strop after each use to extend the time between sharpening.

A strop is a must have!

Most knives just need to be steeled for 30 seconds, or stroped if you have one handy, crock sticks. No need to take metal off every time it gets a bit dull.

30 seconds on a rada and 30 seconds with a steel will be hair shaving sharp, steel frequently after that until you need to take the relief back again.

Butcher's know what they're doing... steel...

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Rada tool is tough on a blade. Butchers use inexpensive knives that they dispose of when the blade is wiped away from a tool like the Rada. I wouldn't put a nice blade through that thing.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have butcher knives over 100 years old, the handles are beat to chit, the blades were sent to professional 'grinders' that take the angle way back and it's not pretty, those blades are still good and would last another 100 years. They grind the blades back to keep the blade so they can steel over and over again and only send them in for grinding each year.

Anytime you use any 'sharpener' you take metal off, it's physics. You don't need to reangle or cut the relief back as soon as the knife starts getting dull... steel it back straight, I mean you could use a super smooth stone and straighten it back without taking metal off, but a steel is easier for the same thing, as is a strop.

But most start with a coarse stone, taking off metal, then work to a smooth every time, so what's the difference?

Steel,steel,steel,steel... learn that, cut your relief angle anyway you want when it gets 'blunt', steel in between will save your blade.

I only have working knives and will never wear one out, though I've seen guys that use their knives only a few times, but sharpen them down to nubs with stones.

Kent

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
Hi I am looking for an easy way to get a sharp edge on my carbon steel and stainless knives. I am 72 years old and have tried for 50+ years to use a stone and all I accomplished was wearing the blade and stone away. I have a Lansky but again I wear the stones out and it is time consuming. I have a box full of electric chef sharpeners that don't work very well. I have a 7 inch buffing wheel but it isn't tight enough to sharpen a blade plus I'm not sure of what grit compound and how to apply it to saturate the wheel. How do the factories sharpen their blades? I'm tried of buying a new knife every time I want to skin a squirrel lol. I have good knives that are sharp for some time but they all lose their edge sooner or later. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

When using a wet stone, try assuming the angle is a lot more shallow than you think, because it probably is. Start holding it flat, then raise it gradually till you feel the flat of the edge, then hold it at that angle while you slide the blade across the stone. The motion doesn't matter nearly as much as holding that angle and sweeping the blade across the surface. Do that, and it won't take long before you feel a bite in the edge on your thumb.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Here's the thing about the rada or similar, if you have a 50 buck folder or kitchen knives your wife abuses, once it sets the angle, by pulling it trough and removing metal, it's set. A few swipes by anyone and the knife is fairly sharp immediately. If you are field dressing an elk, it takes a few swipes to reset even it it seems sharp still it isn't and makes a difference, bloody hands and all, 10 seconds and it almost as sharp as if it was steeled.

Constantly changing sharpening gadgets and technique means different angles and removing metal. Pick one and stay with it, but if it's not in your pack in elk canyon and readily usable, meh...

Kent

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,537
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.