Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The 2021 Yamaha's will be released on Thursday.

I've got a line on a 2020 Grizzly, price reduction, and Factory rebate.

HOWEVER,
The more I've thought about this, between the Grizzly and the Kodiak, I'm wondering if the Kodiak might be the better machine for my style riding and purposes...as well as my conditions.

I'll be in thick brush, dense woods, mud, wet and mossy rocks, crawling often, and doing some towing and skidding, as well as hunting. I'll be doing more crawling than I'll be racing. HOWEVER, I'll also be on a LOT of uneven ground, so I will have to compromise one way or the other, either I get the benefit of the wider foot print of the Grizzly, or the tighter turning radius and narrower snake like feature of the Kodiak..and perhaps it's slightly more suited clutch.

I think the "Question" here is obvious Gents, help a brother sort this out. Thank You.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the kodiak, I have 4 (2-700’s and 2-450’s ) I’ve worked them all and trail ride them equally as hard. I’m 6-3 but I liked the lower seat of the kodiak, the grizzly with my height I just felt like I was way to high. The heavier weights in the cvt of the kodiak also takes advantage of the big single cylinder low end torque and gets a bit better gas milage.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
take a ride on both and go with what feels the best

when I got my first wheeler , I actually bought a Kodiak first , but then I rode a Grizzly and I had to go with the bigger machine

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's easy, get both. 😊

G23

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've got the kodiak 700, great machine.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colvin
I like the kodiak, I have 4 (2-700’s and 2-450’s ) I’ve worked them all and trail ride them equally as hard. I’m 6-3 but I liked the lower seat of the kodiak, the grizzly with my height I just felt like I was way to high. The heavier weights in the cvt of the kodiak also takes advantage of the big single cylinder low end torque and gets a bit better gas milage.

I took a quick look at the 450, thinking there might be a significant weight difference, there isn't.

I'm not a terribly big dude, 5'11" buck 165.

The Kodiak, for my use, "might be" the preferred machine.... I'd like to hear more comments.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought the 2 - 450’s used. Since your looking new the price difference between the 450-700 kodiaks is silly, one is better off spending the little bit more and get the 700. . That’s what we did when we bought or 16 & 17, my wife was looking at another 450 but she got a 700 for a bit more, and loves it .
You really should ride them both, the kodiak is set up for work lower cruising rpm, grizzly is defiantly more sporty. But having said that either is fun to trail ride and both will do work.

Last edited by colvin; 07/07/20.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colvin

You really should ride them both

Agreed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Y'all are talking new stuff but my Yamaha 660 Grizzly is a lot more machine than my 400 Kodiak. The Kodiak is a 93 model and the Grizzly is a 04 both have over 20k farm miles on them. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the EPS on my Grizzly .

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You’ll never regret going bigger.

Just put a winch on it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang it all. Saw the thread title and thought it was about one of these plinkers....

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I own a 450 Kodiak and a 700 Grizzly. I prefer to ride the 450 Kodiak on trials and for riding thru timber to reach a deer due to its smaller size. Now if, as you mentioned, you are going to pull and skid some with your machine the 700 is much more suited to that work. If you don't pull or carry heavy loads the 450 will do all you will want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'll be in thick brush, dense woods, mud, wet and mossy rocks, crawling often, and doing some towing and skidding, as well as hunting. I'll be doing more crawling than I'll be racing. HOWEVER, I'll also be on a LOT of uneven ground, so I will have to compromise one way or the other, either I get the benefit of the wider foot print of the Grizzly, or the tighter turning radius and narrower snake like feature of the Kodiak..and perhaps it's slightly more suited clutch.

That quote right there tells me you should consider a quad with a transmission shifter vs the centrifugal clutch if they still make them. I had a 2005 Polaris 500 and a 2004 Honda Foreman 450 at one time and found that when in tight spots and rough terrain the Honda outperformed the Polaris hands down because you could put it in 1st gear and crawl without having to rev the clutch to engage and then jerk around. I got rid of the Polaris and still have the Honda. I have pulled several elk out of the woods on a home made conveyor belt sled. The smaller stance of the Honda also really helps. Nothing against Polaris and it was great for hauling ass down the dirt roads but not made for "crawling". IMHO Honda makes the most trouble free motor sports.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'm listening.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Can't speak on the Kodiak, but have a 2020 Grizz 700 (686) and have no complaints. The wider stance should help with stability over uneven terrain. Best price I found at the time was $10,200 OTD in Idaho for the camo.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been in some steep mountainous, rough terrain where I had to dismount my ATV and "walk it down the mountain" a distance before I could get back on and drive it.

I was glad to have a more compact, lighter ATV, for I would not have gone that route with a bigger, heavier one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was a thread about quad tires some of which gave increased clearance...
Like trucks there are many thinks you can tweak...

I imagine a set of new take off shocks or tires would move pretty quick here...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Only a 40 pound difference between the two, at nearly 700 pounds that won't matter much. Bigger tires (more clearance referenced) will only make it taller, and the more narrow track of the Kodiak could potentially be an issue by doing so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.