Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi All! I'm looking for some suggestions on a scope for a couple of my lever actions. As much as I like them "clean", I just can't see the irons as well as I need to in a hunting situation, especially early morning/late evening. I'm looking for something compact, lightweight with decent optics. An illuminated reticle would be a plus.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For compact and light, you'll have to focus on traditional scopes and not tactical ones.

You may have to shop around or even buy used, but these are old favorites for your application:

Weaver 1 x 3 and the Nikon African 1 x 4 are hard to beat, especially the Nikon for this purpose.

The Leupold fixed 2.5 is also a great choice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Leupy 2.5-8 on mine. I’m no leupold fan, it’s the only one I own. I zeroed my 30-30 at 125 yds and it’s never moved in 5 years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Burris Fastfire works well too and you don't even know it's there.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't know schitt about illuminated reticles, but on pistol-caliber rifles, I like a 2-7x32, and on other flatter-shooting levers, I like a 3-9x32. If your shots can be 20 yds or 200yds, either of these will work fine.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I went Leupold Freedom 1-4

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I have two of these on other rifles - its too big and heavy for what I'm looking for, plus I would like to stay with a 1" tube if possible

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
For compact and light, you'll have to focus on traditional scopes and not tactical ones.

You may have to shop around or even buy used, but these are old favorites for your application:

Weaver 1 x 3 and the Nikon African 1 x 4 are hard to beat, especially the Nikon for this purpose.

The Leupold fixed 2.5 is also a great choice.

Thanks - anyone got one for sale?? No joy on any new Weavers or Nikons :-(

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just found this one on the SWFA site, don't really need the 10 power on the top end, but it looks lightweight (9.5 oz):

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

Last edited by GunLoony88; 07/08/20.
IC B3

RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a 2-7x33 VX Freedom from Neil at Cameraland. I think he still had some in 1-4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2-7x Leupolds on Savage 99s and a variety of 1.5-4.5 and 1.5-5 scopes on exposed hammer lever guns.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I picked up a very clean Marlin 336 in 35 Remington a couple of months back and was looking for a scope I'd be happy with on it.

I also like lower power variables on lever and pump guns for eastern deer hunting.

I found one of the old school steel El Paso Weaver variables, a Weaver V4.5 on Fleabay with the ocular tv lens, a 1.5 to 4.5 with duplex reticle.

The scope is a little heavy but the gun balances extremely well. Set in old school Weaver pivot mounts so the scope can be swung over for the irons, the scope sits very close to the barrel with the low pivot rings and I have a good cheek weld to the stock.

The gun is 1980 vintage, no crossbolt safety and the scope is probably about the same age. Nice woods gun and I may even be able to sight it in one day if our communist governor opens the ranges.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Other good ones are the older Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5×20 and the Brunton Eterna 1.25-5×20. The older Nikon is a bit more compact than the African mentioned above due to a smaller ocular housing.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by wink_man
I picked up a very clean Marlin 336 in 35 Remington a couple of months back and was looking for a scope I'd be happy with on it.

I also like lower power variables on lever and pump guns for eastern deer hunting.

I found one of the old school steel El Paso Weaver variables, a Weaver V4.5 on Fleabay with the ocular tv lens, a 1.5 to 4.5 with duplex reticle.

The scope is a little heavy but the gun balances extremely well. Set in old school Weaver pivot mounts so the scope can be swung over for the irons, the scope sits very close to the barrel with the low pivot rings and I have a good cheek weld to the stock.

The gun is 1980 vintage, no crossbolt safety and the scope is probably about the same age. Nice woods gun and I may even be able to sight it in one day if our communist governor opens the ranges.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wink_man, nice! Old school swing-away scope with iron sight backups with the scope mounted low. That must be one sweet-handling lever gun.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/08/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Just found this one on the SWFA site, don't really need the 10 power on the top end, but it looks lightweight (9.5 oz):

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

ER sucks, keep going

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Wink_man, nice! Old school swing-away scope with iron sight backups with the scope mounted low. That must be one sweet-handling lever gun.

Jeeper yes it does seem to balance and handle very well, I just haven't shot it yet because our communist governor closed the ranges with this covid 19 bullchit.

Actually I have 3 of these in .35 Remington, this straight grained one and 2 with nice fiddleback in the stock. Vintage 1960 and 1972 for the other 2, both with the same Weaver pivot mounts, one has a 4X Denver Redfield with post & crosshair, the other a Bushnell Banner 2X7.

Going to give one of them to Qtip from here(God rest is soul) cousins son.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Weaver 1-3x20

Japan mfg......less than $200.......

clear glass......heluva deal

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Weaver 1-3x20

Japan mfg......less than $200.......

clear glass......heluva deal

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NICE !!!!!
Nice gun and nice country you live in Tikkanut !!!!

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Hi All! I'm looking for some suggestions on a scope for a couple of my lever actions. As much as I like them "clean", I just can't see the irons as well as I need to in a hunting situation, especially early morning/late evening. I'm looking for something compact, lightweight with decent optics. An illuminated reticle would be a plus.

Depends on the lever action and the hunting conditions. While they are stereotypically short range guns, some like the Browning BLR "mysteriously" smile shoot just as flat as bolt actions in the same chambering ... like 7mm mag so short range scopes are not always the correct choice for every lever action.

Looking back across some years, thinking about what I liked and what worked, one of the best balances was a Weaver K2.5 on a Win 94 trapper .44 magnum. The scope was suited to the range of the rifle and trajectory of the cartridge. Another "best" was a Leupold 1.75-6X on a stainless Marlin "guide" .45-70. While it wasn't my gun, I got to shoot a BLR in 7mm mag that had a 4-12X on it, forget the brand, but it was a 3/4 MOA gun, with factory ammo, despite an 8-10 pound gritty trigger. I've spent quite a bit of range time behind lever actions with full size 3-9X40s doing load work-up but I'm not sure I'd pick one for hunting. The larger objective raises the eye, thus the cheek, from the stock making obtaining a good sight picture slower than I really like.

I'd look at the compact Leupold 2.5x, their 1.5-5X and 2.5-8X. If you can find a Weaver K2.5 or K4, they're good .. appropriate to purpose.

I would also think about scout scope setups. They are not for everyone. I have no first-hand experience with them, know some people who like them and others who cuss them. Definitely something you should check into. Leupold and Burris would be the right brands if you go that route.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.