-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a great post yesterday showing a guy wearing full camouflage with the caption: "You can wear this covered in deer piss for 8 hours, but you can't wear a mask to the store?"

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sheesh. So warm air going to cold doesnt condense. Dayom you are dense.

I guess that means we can spit in a petri dish and have that tested for COVID.

LOL

Where do these dumb fugks come from?

I have a niece down with the COVID. Several of her friends and coworkers have tested positive. She had to get tested. So they charged her $150 and swabbed both nostrils and back of throat on July 4. Told her on Tues. test was "inconclusive, don't go back to work, but give us another $150 and we'll try again".

Most will get the point. She obviously has it, yet they can't find it without going deep. She is scheduled for a rapid test today where they swab the frontal lobe of your brain. This obviously won't work for some here either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
I saw a great post yesterday showing a guy wearing full camouflage with the caption: "You can wear this covered in deer piss for 8 hours, but you can't wear a mask to the store?"

Which part was "great"??

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm white and have black masks. Is that racist?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hatari, I agree with many of the things you said. Your post was comprehensive and well reasoned. You're taking the argument a step farther than I was.

My argument has always been that masks slow the rate of spread. That's all. Whether that buys time for a vaccine or just prolongs the course is debatable. I am optimistic about a vaccine because as you pointed out, there hasn't been a multinational undertaking like this in history. It might not go that way. We might be stuck with this. I never implied masks would fix end this. The cat is way too far out of the bag.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you catch me wearing a mask, there is some nefarious sheit going down.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by MTDan
Originally Posted by coat4gun
Ok, so a mask may slow the spread of this virus. Why again do we want to slow it down? I'm thinking we need to speed it up to get over it. I say bring it. Covid parties should become a thing like we used to have chicken pox parties. Get as many young healthy folk there as possible. It ain't going away till most of us have immunity and I am not doing a vaccine if I can avoid it.

That's a valid question. Even if we "flatten the curve" the area under the curve is the same. But right now, about 1% of the US pop has been infected. Things will get even crazier when it rapidly hits 50, 60, 80% like they predict it would in short order.

I disagree about the vaccine. The trials are rigorous, and there are already companies set to begin stage 3 clinical trials with 10s of thousands of people. If it passes muster, I'll get my shot. Well, Uncle Sam owns me, so it's really not like I get a say, but I would choose to regardless.

The chicken pox vaccine is safer than having chicken pox, and vaccinated people aren't risking getting shingles later. We dont know all the long term effects of covid yet, but some initial reports are concerning. I'd rather skip this one if I can

Do you honestly believe that we are at 1% infected? What % of the U.S. population has been tested? I would venture that we are approaching 10% infected if not higher.

Yes, here is another topic that has defied logic for several months - the numbers. The CDC came out about 10 days ago and they estimate 20 million in the US have contracted the virus. That is 8 to 10 times what is being reported, and rationally much more believable.

- Either this thing is highly contagious or it's not. It circled the globe in 2 months. It caused panic in every country of the world. So is it highly contagious? Hell yes!
So if it it can establish itself in the four corners of the earth that fast, AND we hear reports about the zillions of new cases everyday, how could it possibly be true that only 2 or 3 million people in the US have contracted it in 7 months? Goes back to either it IS highly contagious or it's NOT. Since it is, then it's time to start believing the CDC estimate that it's 20 million. Then you see the mortality down to 0.06%, which is also rational based on findings.

It also explains the upshoot in posivite tests (taking out the sudden increase in testing for this discussion). 2 people can easily give it to 4. 1 million can give it to 2 million. 20 million can transmit to a crap load more. Simple geometric progression takes from 20 to 40 to 80 to 160 to total US population in a hurry. Logrithimic increases, where one dude at the wedding infects 250 gets us there muy pronto. So if 20 million really have had it, you want to tell me how you're going to attenuate this now? You're not.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You'd think that in the year 2020 we'd know how well various materials over our face prevent certain things from passing through them.

Of course we do.

And the people in the know (that are honest) will tell you the whole mask idea is nothing but feel good bullschit.

Here's where I stand on this. If my elderly mother is going to be near a person with COVID, I'd rather them have something over their nose and mouth when they are sneezing and coughing than nothing. I'll take that reduction in the number of infectious particles they deposit into the air.

Must be a southern thing because I’ve managed four decades without being coughed or sneezed on.

I'll tidy my comment up a bit. I'd rather the person coughing and sneezing on the grocery items my elderly mother is about to buy have a face covering.

Paul,

If somebody is that sick, he’s going to infect all those items whether he’s wearing a mask or not. Chances are probably 100% his whole body is covered in bacteria, not least of it his hands - all while he’s finger fugging the avocados and Campbell’s soup cans...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hatari, I agree with many of the things you said. Your post was comprehensive and well reasoned. You're taking the argument a step farther than I was.

My argument has always been that masks slow the rate of spread. That's all. Whether that buys time for a vaccine or just prolongs the course is debatable. I am optimistic about a vaccine because as you pointed out, there hasn't been a multinational undertaking like this in history. It might not go that way. We might be stuck with this. I never implied masks would fix end this. The cat is way too far out of the bag.

I can go with that. I pray for a quick vaccine. I hate the politicization. The misunderstanding the general public has due to the constant feed of BS from the media drives me crazy.

PS - if you really want a N95 mask. I'll send you a few. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hatari

I can go with that. I pray for a quick vaccine. I hate the politicization. The misunderstanding the general public has due to the constant feed of BS from the media drives me crazy.

PS - if you really want a N95 mask. I'll send you a few. wink

Won’t do schit for him if it’s not fitted properly. But I’m sure it’ll make him feel better and that’s really what’s important here...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I appreciate the offer for the N95, but I'm good. I have them in the office when I get back stateside. Just don't have access at the moment.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
All I'm asking for is evidence they don't work. You call bullshit on the multiple studies that I and others have linked. Prove it! Put up or shut up.

The truth is that you want masks to be bullshit, and refuse to accept any evidence otherwise.

Freezer test...

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Taiwan - population 2020 -- 23,816,775 people

Confirmed -- 449

Recovered -- 438

Deaths -- 7

Singapore - population 2020 -- 5,850,342 people

Confirmed -- 45,423
+125

Recovered --

Deaths -- 26

Discharged 36,604
In isolation facilities* 5,917
Stable condition in hospital 189
Deaths 26
Critical condition in hospital 1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I appreciate your concern about my feelings Dryfly. It means a lot, man.

My parting assertions:
1. Masks slow the rate of spread to some degree
2. Masks as a symbol have less potential to damage trump than soaring infection rates in November.

If nothing else it seems like a good strategic move to keep wearing them for the time being.

Ok, I'm out.

Last edited by MTDan; 07/09/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'll tidy my comment up a bit. I'd rather the person coughing and sneezing on the grocery items my elderly mother is about to buy have a face covering.

I'm sure the hypothetical ass hole that walks up and down the aisle sneezing and coughing on the same items that your elderly mother is in pursuit of, would never handle a snot laden mask before handling items in and around the store.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I appreciate the offer for the N95, but I'm good. I have them in the office when I get back stateside. Just don't have access at the moment.

LOL

You travel OCONUS without the N95 you have readily available? But you're a huge proponent of wearing masks to prevent the Bologna Virus?

Just admit you're FOS and move along.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ok, I'm out.

Good call, numb nuts.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cure for covid 19. an election

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by coat4gun
Ok, so a mask may slow the spread of this virus. Why again do we want to slow it down? I'm thinking we need to speed it up to get over it. I say bring it. Covid parties should become a thing like we used to have chicken pox parties. Get as many young healthy folk there as possible. It ain't going away till most of us have immunity and I am not doing a vaccine if I can avoid it.

That's a valid question. Even if we "flatten the curve" the area under the curve is the same. But right now, about 1% of the US pop has been infected. Things will get even crazier when it rapidly hits 50, 60, 80% like they predict it would in short order.

I disagree about the vaccine. The trials are rigorous, and there are already companies set to begin stage 3 clinical trials with 10s of thousands of people. If it passes muster, I'll get my shot. Well, Uncle Sam owns me, so it's really not like I get a say, but I would choose to regardless.

The chicken pox vaccine is safer than having chicken pox, and vaccinated people aren't risking getting shingles later. We dont know all the long term effects of covid yet, but some initial reports are concerning. I'd rather skip this one if I can

Do you honestly believe that we are at 1% infected? What % of the U.S. population has been tested? I would venture that we are approaching 10% infected if not higher.

Yes, here is another topic that has defied logic for several months - the numbers. The CDC came out about 10 days ago and they estimate 20 million in the US have contracted the virus. That is 8 to 10 times what is being reported, and rationally much more believable.

- Either this thing is highly contagious or it's not. It circled the globe in 2 months. It caused panic in every country of the world. So is it highly contagious? Hell yes!
So if it it can establish itself in the four corners of the earth that fast, AND we hear reports about the zillions of new cases everyday, how could it possibly be true that only 2 or 3 million people in the US have contracted it in 7 months? Goes back to either it IS highly contagious or it's NOT. Since it is, then it's time to start believing the CDC estimate that it's 20 million. Then you see the mortality down to 0.06%, which is also rational based on findings.

It also explains the upshoot in posivite tests (taking out the sudden increase in testing for this discussion). 2 people can easily give it to 4. 1 million can give it to 2 million. 20 million can transmit to a crap load more. Simple geometric progression takes from 20 to 40 to 80 to 160 to total US population in a hurry. Logrithimic increases, where one dude at the wedding infects 250 gets us there muy pronto. So if 20 million really have had it, you want to tell me how you're going to attenuate this now? You're not.

Mine was the condensed/one line version LOL

One thing I've been sure of since the start-the math doesn't add up.

FJB & FJT
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.