Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Iam from West Virginia ,we love to eat groundhog their .As a kid my dog hated groundhogs ,we would walk the pasture fence line , woods on other side. If he jumped a groundhog ,he would chase it away from its holes ,and into the woods where it would climb a tree ,i would then head shoot it with a .22 rifle.once it fell down ,dog would grab it and we would have to have a tug of war ,before i got it lol.Mom would boil them then bake them with kechup and Ramps sprinkled on top

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem shooter
Iam from West Virginia ,we love to eat groundhog their .As a kid my dog hated groundhogs ,we would walk the pasture fence line , woods on other side. If he jumped a groundhog ,he would chase it away from its holes ,and into the woods where it would climb a tree ,i would then head shoot it with a .22 rifle.once it fell down ,dog would grab it and we would have to have a tug of war ,before i got it lol.Mom would boil them then bake them with kechup and Ramps sprinkled on top

Man oh man, I already had lunch and you're making me hungry!
Maybe our West Virginia groundhogs just taste better than the other states because they eat the best greens.... I don't know. One thing I noticed is that out of 50 states represented, only ones bragging about how good they are for food are from here! I've known guys that spend thousands to hunt mules and elk out west. They tell me that our local whitetail taste best by far. They've asked me if I wanted to go?
It's like, why do I want to go half way across the country for chuck and McDonald's burger when there's choice fille' mignon to grill in the back yard? 😄

I did not know they climb trees like that! You just taught me a new way to hunt them.
Thanks rem shooter!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two that took up residence under a neighbor’s shed, I’m in town so have to be sneaky killing them when they wander in my yard.

I never saw one this far south until maybe 20 years ago, now they’re everywhere. I haven’t seen a fox in several years, but you can hear the coyotes almost every night.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JB in SC
I have two that took up residence under a neighbor’s shed, I’m in town so have to be sneaky killing them when they wander in my yard.

I never saw one this far south until maybe 20 years ago, now they’re everywhere. I haven’t seen a fox in several years, but you can hear the coyotes almost every night.

What part of SC are you located? We were in the upstate last week (mountains) and saw plenty of groundhogs, and now....the occasional armadillo. Our family farm is up that way, currently ~150 feet under water.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I grew up shooting groundhogs, and they were plentiful here. The coyotes have really worked on those that inhabited the open country, and now I see them mostly in the woods, and around farm buildings. I've seen more the past couple of years, so maybe they're recovering somewhat from the coyotes. However, it's not good when they use a building, as they'll soon undermine it big time.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
i used to shoot dozens a year around here in western PA. i own an old christmas tree farm and keep paths cut. for the past several years i have seen very few. i know shooting dozens a year may have had an effect, but i see the same thing in other areas. less hogs in the fields and on the roads and less holes in the fence lines. something must be killing them other than me. seems odd. this area always had tons of hogs but not much anymore.

If that tree farm is the one I think it is I saw one of the biggest bucks i have ever seen crossing the road near the old shack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Box trap. It'll pay for itself. Use a youtube instructional.
Bring it to your garage, shed or basement. Head shot. Dress, skin put it in the freezer...save enough for dinner. I soaked it overnight in salt water per directions. Good as is with crushed garlic cloves throughout and your favorite seasoning for dark meat. Thank Him, because the Lord just gave you a delicacy.
I hate how destructive they can be, but thankfully they're tasty!

Annoying isn't it?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Upstate near the Ga/SC line.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Good deal. Gods front porch up there...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm having problems with groundhogs right now under an old milk barn.They've dug under the concrete apron and I'm concerned it's going to come apart. I've already taken 6 groundhogs from that area this Spring. Last year, I took 5. I need to find a better way to get them to move on.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by devnull
I'm having problems with groundhogs right now under an old milk barn.They've dug under the concrete apron and I'm concerned it's going to come apart. I've already taken 6 groundhogs from that area this Spring. Last year, I took 5. I need to find a better way to get them to move on.

Start covering the holes with 220's.

Might be good for a couple more.

Be sure your dogs don't poke their heads in there though. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deflave

^^^This but if worried about a dog sticking its head in block access somehow....i usually lean a sheet of plywood angled against the wall with the base out from the wall and block the open ends with something to stop the dogs from getting in. If you dont want to use a conibear trap, box traps work also. Set near burrows and I have found best bait for hogs is fresh cut cantaloupe chunks. Trip them at night if your worried about skunks etc. As for a fix, try filling the holes and if practical lining the perimeter of the barn at least a foot out with stone. Not gravel size as they will dig that, but larger. Set traps immediately at first sign of new burrowing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deflave

What are 220's?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A conibear trap.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My wife grow's kale for him every year smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Blasted a few out of trees. Couple mulberries and one kinda high in a hardwood.
Have shot em w rimfire, close to the barns/farmers houses and if medium or a little smaller, the old guys wanted em to cook.
Personally never eaten one.
I like 70gr 6mm bullets pretty zippy. Little bomb going off inside em. Reckon frags go all over in the meat.
Aint blasted any off of beans or alfalfa for a long while.
Shoot down an area, yotes keep it down.
Aint like it used to be frown

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think all the hours/days I spent chasing ground hogs is what got me loving hunting and rifles .

Use to leave the house walking and hunt all day long walking farm to farm - some state park hunting too .

Best days maybe 5 kills .

Everybody around warren county , ohio near fort ancient state park area said the chuck numbers plummeted when the coyotes moved in . As did the fox . Never considered the hawks but they certainly would grab a young GH .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hookeye
Have shot em w rimfire, close to the barns/farmers houses and if medium or a little smaller, the old guys wanted em to cook.
I like 70gr 6mm bullets pretty zippy. Little bomb going off inside em. Reckon frags go all over in the meat.

Lol

It’s hard to convince some people that groundhogs are able to climb.

Had a couple different people thought I was telling them some BS. 😐

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hookeye

Lol

It’s hard to convince some people that grounds are able to climb.

Had a couple different people thought I was telling them some BS. 😐

Yep have killed a few outta the apple trees with bow and rifle. Didnt believe it myself till I saw the suckers in the trees l.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Good deal. Gods front porch up there...

Been in this part of the state since ‘92, great place. Low taxes, I’d like a place further northwest but I’m getting a little too old to make another move.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.