-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It reads like you are going back in and setting up a spike camp. Much as I wanted to do that, camping along the gravel access road and being back for a hot meal every night seemed like a better idea. Doing that what worked very well for me was figuring what the the other guys in the area were doing and not doing that. Most of those guys were horse guys and the horse trails started lower down the mountain. Elk don't like people and would head for the rougher canyons when they were pressured. I would get up real early in the morning and drive a few miles up the mountain and climb a hill no horse would go up. That way I could get two or three ridges back in before first light and could be between the canyon and the horse guys coming up every morning. I saw more elk when I hunted them more like deer back home and hunted security cover and travel fingers of heavy cover. Deer around here move a few hundred yards. Elk out there go a lot longer distance when spooked and they move down the mountain every night, so new elk would be in the area every morning that weather or other hunters pushed them.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rosco1
Navigating in the west is a breeze compared to the thick flat east.. not sure why westerners always feel the need to worry experienced eastern hunters over it. Pay attention to direction, landmarks and incoming storms. All there is to it.

Well, my point wasn't as much about "navigation skills" as it was about being comfortable getting away from camp if there aren't any elk near camp. Some people are comfortable with that, others aren't. I grew up hunting the thick flat east and there's no question, it's much easier to get lost back there where you can't see.

There's also no question that growing up back east, you don't get much practice navigating by "paying attention to landmarks." Because most of the time you can't see landmarks. Just like you can't see landmarks out west, after then sun sets.

I believe that nav skills are the difference between an outdoorsman and a wannabe. If you have spent enough time hunting in almost any environment you will have been caught in the dark, fog, whiteouts etc. Descending the wrong gully or walking off a cliff happens to the unprepared on a regular basis. If you aren't an ace w/ map and compass you better carry bivy gear or stay on the road. The compasses are even more important than are the headlamps, I always carry 2 of each.

Do not underestimate the importance of having and consuming lots of water and supplementing electrolytes. Dry air, altitude and heavy breathing will have you assdragging, stay ahead of the curve and don't depend on finding water if you are moving through strange country.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of sage advice So far.

For comfort layering is key & I like Merino wool for warmth to weight & less stink - Black Ovis & Camofire have good prices. A couple of merino light & heavy, layer to cut the wind & a waterproof layer are nice. Clothing can be antique eBay wool & 2nd hand shop stuff or ridiculous expensive. My best recent acquisitions Kuiu guide pants nice & warm with side vents, And a First Light uncomphagre puffy is very flexible. Sounds like you have good boots.

Carry game bags watch how to cut an elk up with the gutless method, they are really big compared to any deer. I bought a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 this year & it looks & feels great. Lots of expensive good ones out there. OnX is worth having on the phone Use it offline & bring an extra charge battery. Elk meat is too tasty to pass up legal animals by the way.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

I’ve used the gutless method on whitetail, same process just on a much bigger animal?

I think this is the wrong way?

Someone recommended these game bags to one of the other guys, good option?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020555089?pid=800999

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bearcat 74: LOL ! That is a good way to get the job done..... NOT ! : ) I can only imagine the smell...wait I actually can, have gutted a gut shot buck for a friend many years ago.

Those game bags look like a good product in my mind. Glad to see you are going in well prepared and with confidence you will be successful on your hunt. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 07/10/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Looks like I’m headed to Colorado in late Oct for a hunt with some friends.

Looking for some advice pack wise, boot wise, sleeping bag etc. We will have a tent with cots and a wood stove.

I have a pair of 600gram Danner Elk Hunters I wear in cold weather, sufficient with wool socks?

I have a -40 military sleeping bag system.

Clueless on the pack

Rem 700 LSFV bedded into another stock, 140 Accubond, case full of H4350

Good gloves and mittens, good knives,I think my clothing will be ok.

Any and all tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Im surprised you arent taking one of your ruger 77's

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Get high, glass then glass more. Head of canyons

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No experience with those game bags but have used several different ones - I prefer the rugged enough to wash & get a few years of use. Bought 5 of the lightweight Ovis bags with the built in tie string & reflecting tape on sale at Camofire for $10 each. Last year I used a generic bag and dragged a 2nd hind quarter a mile in the snow - that bag did it’s job.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Alaskan game bags try em

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Looking for some advice pack wise, boot wise, sleeping bag etc. We will have a tent with cots and a wood stove.

I have a pair of 600gram Danner Elk Hunters I wear in cold weather, sufficient with wool socks?

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

That was my plan originally. I shot 50 rounds of 180 partitions with H4350 and H4831 but I could never get real consistency. I should have tried 180 Accubond as it shoots the 180 ballistic tip really good. I also worked some with my model 70 wsm but it was heavier than I wanted to pack. I had some 140 Accubonds and after shooting them and seeing how much success Pharm and several other have had with the 708 I just decided I would take it instead.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Alaskan game bags try em

I’ll check’m out

Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

That was my plan originally. I shot 50 rounds of 180 partitions with H4350 and H4831 but I could never get real consistency. I should have tried 180 Accubond as it shoots the 180 ballistic tip really good. I also worked some with my model 70 wsm but it was heavier than I wanted to pack. I had some 140 Accubonds and after shooting them and seeing how much success Pharm and several other have had with the 708 I just decided I would take it instead.

Sounds reasonable. Good luck with your hunt my friend..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Clueless on the pack

Thanks

Sounds reasonable. Good luck with your hunt my friend..

Thanks, I’ll need it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 19 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.