Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Various conversations about schools and teachers got me thinking about how long we should pay people not to work.

The IRS appears to be shut down based on how long it is taking them to process my tax return.

National parks, state parks hunter safety training classes a tremendous amount of other state and federal government agencies are shut down.

Probate court hearing Virginia is taking at least 6 months.

Bottomline, there are a ton of people (Government) being paid to not work.

I am simply looking for a general opinion here of how long we should pay them to not work. Thank you for your consideration.

1) Absolutely no more than 5 years

2) Absolutely no more than 10 years

3) Absolutely no more than 20 years

4) Rest of their life with annual promotions.

Thank you in advance for taking the time.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/12/20. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Might be... The New Green Deal was a hell of a bargain afterall.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If they ain’t working and the world is still turning, why do we need to pay them. Who needs them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Various conversations about schools and teachers got me thinking about how long we should pay people not to work.

The IRS appears to be shut down based on how long it is taking them to process my tax return.

National parks, state parks hunter safety training classes a tremendous amount of other state and federal government agencies are shut down.

Probate court hearing Virginia is taking at least 6 months.

Bottomline, there are a ton of people (Government) being paid to not work.

I am simply looking for a general opinion here of how long we should pay them to not work. Thank you for your consideration.

1) Absolutely no more than 5 years

2) Absolutely no more than 10 years

3) Absolutely no more than 20 years

4) Rest of their life with annual promotions.

Thank you in advance for taking the time.

Are those choices serious, or is that sarcasm that I just didn't get? 5, 10, 20 yrs or the rest of their life? Try 1, 2, 3, or 4 months.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We've been paying people not to work for decades. But we're also told that today's democrat party ain't the same ole democrat party of our grandpappy's. Right.

The democrat party has been a criminal organization since at least Woodrow Wilson. Only difference between then and now is today they don't see the need for disguise.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If a 1200 dollar check is what you are living off of, you've got BIG problems.

And you are in no mental shape to cast a vote.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't think we should pay them at all. If they're in desperate straits, hand 'em a broom and let them spend 8 hours a day sweeping the streets for a small stipend. Limit food stamps (or whatever they call those now) to staples like rice, beans, and fresh vegetables.

In my experience, most unemployed people don't even bother looking for a job until the freebies run out.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Amazingly, NONE of our close relatives have been laid off. Some have worked from home but all have worked full time. My son, who's a reg. nurse, has done a lot of triage over the phone from home. I don't know how he does that but it's been going on for a couple months.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Ok I feel unemployment for those who lost jobs because of corona is warranted as long as needed, and a little extra stimulus yes because new jobs in their field may be difficult to find til this is over, but $600 extra a week is a little much. The unemployment thing is a scam in my onpinion as well. My wife’s no load nephew hasn’t worked for 2 yrs got fired, 40 yrs old and has been fired from most of his jobs. His unemployment benefits ran out 6 mp this before the virus and what do you know,,he gets the $600 a week AND GOT a $8000 back unemployment check unfricking believable
I am an essential and am not complain8ng. My wife job was shut down because it wasn’t essential(she owns a dog grooming business) . Well let me explain we live together and have for 10 yrs so we call each other husband wife she even uses my name. She got her $1200 st8mulus which helped her, But I made $5000 too much to receive one. Would it have been nice yes, but we made it due to savings and some side jobs. But what pisses me off and I have complained for years about it is how corrupt the unemployment system is.

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I don't think we should pay them at all. If they're in desperate straits, hand 'em a broom and let them spend 8 hours a day sweeping the streets for a small stipend. Limit food stamps (or whatever they call those now) to staples like rice, beans, and fresh vegetables.

In my experience, most unemployed people don't even bother looking for a job until the freebies run out.

That covers it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s why there is so much rioting, idol hands

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It’s why there is so much rioting, idol hands

I don’t think those rioters would be working if the coronavirus had not appeared!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Enough with the jokes.

This virus is so deadly that police and firemen have no changes to their day-to-day activities. They purposefully encounter total strangers on a regular basis and will even enter their homes, do a little wrestling, and drive them to another location.

Teachers however, cannot be around little kids because they might get sick. You might think that comes with the job but you are wrong. An iPad is just as good if not better.

Also the park rangers must shelter in place whilst the 16 year old at McDonald's can stare into the eyes of death so they can hand you a bag of food that is of no risk due to your eating it somewhere that isn't McDonald's.

It all makes total sense. We're all in this together.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
If a 1200 dollar check is what you are living off of, you've got BIG problems.

And you are in no mental shape to cast a vote.

Lots of government folks make $10,000+ a month.

Like you said... Chump change to most of us... but still not insignificant times millions of people.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/12/20. Reason: Damn phone typos

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave
We're all in this together.

Thank you... I had begun to doubt.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We should keep paying people until there is a vaccine, or until everyone feels safe. Or so I've heard.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The 30,000 people of the US Forest Service have been well paid for doing nothing for the last 40 years. Doesn't seem to bother anybody. The entry level kids in firefighting, who do earn their money, are so poorly supervised that they are willing but ineffective.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by dassa
We should keep paying people until there is a vaccine, or until everyone feels safe. Or so I've heard.

...or until the Murder Hornets are eradicated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

That covers it.
yup.....nuff sed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The model for the pandemic that initiated the shutdown was between 100k deaths [minimum flu season] and 2000k deaths [1918 flu pandemic].

Precautions were taken to keep hospitals from overflowing..... it never happened and we have a 130k deaths.

There should not have been a shutdown in 2020, unless you think there should be a shutdown every year to minimize cold and flu deaths..

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.