Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would like to question you guys in the know about what I think is a scope failure. The scene is this: I'm shooting a Blaser rifle (.300WM) with a Swaro AV 4-12X50 SR (rail mounted); shooting off a Caldwell Lead Sled rest. Things are going well through about 20 rounds, then I notice that I'm having trouble getting both the target and the reticle in focus despite ocular adjustment, in fact I cannot get anything sharply in focus except the reticle (a TDS). What could have gone wrong? It's going off to Swaro to be looked at, I just though someone might have experience or information on this.
Don

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

It puked, same thing happened with my Loopy. Mine was the erector assembly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My buddy's Swaro suffered a broken reticle when we were trying to sight her in. It shot wonderfully accurate though. The reticle just vibrated at each shot.

It left his house on Monday and was on his Texas doorstep Wednesday. They picked up shipping both ways.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Does indeed sound like something to do with the erector assembly, or just the reticle cell.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. I think this scope failure may determine which rifle (NULA) I take on the upcoming hunt (sheep). It's probably a no brainer to most but I really like the packability of the Blaser takedown system. That NULA in .30-06 is shooting too good to leave home on the very hunt it was designed for!
Don

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It is a well-known FACT according to certain optics experts on this and other forums,, that Swaro optics NEVER fail or break,so, you must be crosseyed from anticipation of your sheep hunt!

I have seen more "breaks"with Swaro optics than any other quality brand, but, the Z6 I just looked through was the finest scope in terms of optics I have ever seen. For best scope at a "workin'man's price", the Zeiss Conquests I have just bought are my pick; for tough, working scopes, LEUPY still owns my loyalty.

I just returned from the range, shooting, "Thumper", a P-64 H&H action fitted with a Classic-70 sts. bbl. cut to 20" and with Weaver steel Grandslams, Burris Zee rings, Recknagel irons and a Micky P-64 style stock. "Thumper" is to be my new packing rifle for Grizzly country and today, four consecutive groups of 300NP, WW brass, CCI 250 and 78.5-H-4350 went just under an inch, each.

This was with a Leupy 2.5C MHD which has been on my Merkel drilling in 12-12-9.3x74 and my Benelli Nova, shooting Brenneke slugs and 3.5"Turkey loads. After several years, this little scope is still rock-solid and I can use it with both eyes open.

"Thumper"is a NEAT little rig, built from salvaged parts and it will shoot, carry well and with this Leupy, it will be ideal for BC conditions, leupies don't seem to break much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember anyone saying that Swaro's never break. I personally haven't broken one yet and I have more than a few, most on Magnum rifles. When one does I'll be complaining about it smile. I have broken a couple leupolds but I did have quite a few of them too. Anyone who thinks that they are invulnerable because of the brand of Scope they use is setting themselves up for dissappointment.
Anything can break, sorry that you had a problem. Let us know how Swaro service treats you.........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember anyone saying that Swaro's never break.

Me neither,either someones memory is failing them or their imagination is getting the best of them. grin I do own six av scopes and all have proven to be totally reliable despite use on high powered magnums,but I certainly would not be so naive as to post that it is not possible for a swarovski scope to fail.Any product by any manufacturer can certainly fail.Hopefully Swarovski will make things right with a timely repair or replacement.

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've often wondered if using the lead sled produces more stress on the rifle/optics. It just makes emperic sense to me that when the rifle recoils against a relatively fixed object like the sled it pays a penalty versus the rather "cushy" organic material (my shoulder) it would usually recoil against.
Don

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Swaros are good... Er.. Make that great scopes and Bino's.... However, Every manufacture is gonna have the occasional lemon, even Swaro... So, to think that swaros are perfect is a strecth.. In this instance, Swaro's customer service is whats gonna stand out.. Everyone is gonna make the occasional pos scope.. Its how the manufacture handels the pos that makes the difference... I believe leupy makes more pos scopes than anyone.. However, they also make more scopes than anyone as well.. Its the percentage of scopes that makes the difference.. I believe that Swaro and Leupy both have a small percentage of scope failures compared with the amount of scopes they build..

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've often wondered if using the lead sled produces more stress on the rifle/optics.

That is entirely possible considering that after the rifle suddenly recoils backwards and compresses the recoil pad,it must suddenly deaccelerate against the lead sled.This might cause similar stresses to that produced by a high powered springer air rifle.These types of air rifles are well known to be extremely hard on rifle scopes due to the recoil force in both directions.I do know that I have seen wooden stocks cracked while being used with lead sleds.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Got a 4-12-50 that got fuzzy on 10-12. Sent it back to Swarvoski. They fixed it. Told me it would take about 8 weeks, Had it back in 5. Seem's their much more organized than Leupold.Who told me 10 Days, Got it back in 36 days.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have never had any serious issues with swaro products, but on the minor ones swaro customer service was top notch. Just call them and let them know the problem! I am very sure they will be eager to help you.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I thought it obvious that I was being slightly facetious in view of the frequent "wars" that rage here where some advocate certain brands as being far superior under hunting conditions. Maybe my attempt at sly humour was a bit too subtle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to believe the Lead Sled had something to do with it, at least a contributing factor.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have friends who insist on using them and I am not a fan of those things by any means but they like shooting the big boys but don�t take recoil very well. The Swaro should not have had an issue with the Lead Sled but it could have contributed and it is always better to learn of a problem while you are just shooting paper (on a hunting rifle) than when it counts. Personally, my Swaros have never had a problem but the sister company Kahles I killed one with 2 shots out of my 30-378�completely different designs but anything that is built by human hands can fail.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A few years ago I contacted Swarovski about a possible scope problem on a DGR. I had a hunt coming up using my 416 Rigby. Swarovski offered to overnight a loaner scope & stated this was available any where in North America. It wasn't the scope so I didn't need the special service. I was told one has only to ask. Upon return from the hunt you return both. Not a bad offer in my opinion.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I would have to believe the Lead Sled had something to do with it, at least a contributing factor.

I'd have to believe the same thing. It seems it couldn't help but put more stress on the scope/mounts.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
Swarovski offered to overnight a loaner scope & stated this was available any where in North America.

tbear,
Thats what real optical companies have been doing for decades.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
its funny if you pay over a grand for a scope it should be tuff as nails, I hear all the time about swaros takeing a dump, in fact there has been more than one thread about it here, its kinda like people thinking mercedes, audi, and VW are great fine cars that are german enginerred and because they are a superior car that is why they cost so much, ever checked to see what those 3 car makes are rated at these days by consumer reports, pretty much bottom of the barrel for reliability, I think this is a case of that in scopes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.