Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CCCC
Started teaching in 1956 and started my first public school job in 1960 - taught strong and deep for many years - knew a ton of students and quite a number of teachers. None of that makes me an expert, but it does tend to have cultivated insights and some wisdom in the general area of teaching and teachers. As a citizen, I am not stating an opinion on whether or not schools should open, when and how.

As a teacher, my request is get me back into the classroom on time, full time with a full load of students - enable me to do something I do well for them, and enable them to do what they need to do - learn and learn to learn. Is this bravado? No! It is common sense and a drive to do what is correct.

Many people, including a lot of "teachers" are showing significant ignorance or selfishness - or some of both. This particular virus is not going to diminish or go away because of anything we do or do not do about opening the schools. This thing is going to run its cycle. and it is going to cause some more folks to die - and we cannot control or manage those overall effects. I do think that we can do a much better job of controlling the degree of illness in individual people once the illness is detected in them. That has nothing to do with masks, washing hands, opening schools or bars or stadiums. As more folks contract the virus. the overall effects will diminish - as with all such viruses.

Yes - continued deaths - but evidence is starting to show that it will kill about one half of 1 percent of the people who contract it, while heart disease will kill 4 times as many in the same time period, and about the same for cancer, and accidents will kill about 10 times as many.

I'm not much interested in hiring the teacher who writes long paragraphs about why she/he does not want the schools to open and does not want to be there. Such a person should resign - give up the contractual arrangement - get another job. Never were we teachers given or guaranteed a position with pay and benefits if, in turn, we did not perform accordingly.

Good post quadruple C.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave
The taxpayers should stop paying full pay and benefits for what is going on now and the school shutdown would end real quick.

Agreed.

I strongly suspect they are enjoying getting full pay and not having a schedule to keep.

I was shut down at home for two months before our regularly scheduled summer break. It was nice I guess not to have to run out the door in the morning, I prob'ly put in 30 hour
s a week on the computer during that time as opposed to the 50-60 I would spent at school. Half the hours and probably 20% of the material covered online relative to the classroom.

They are somewhat teaching online but only the really motivated students are getting anything out of it is my belief.

Exactly true, and dependent on the subject. Things like History and Biology at the High School level are mostly read and recite, Calculus and Physics would be a different story all together..

Do you support your school reopening?

Already said I did.

You also said your school wasn’t closed.

Which makes you FOS.

As always.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Yes. and I hope the liberals say that they feel endangered so that they can stay home.

Open the schools. If somebody is scared of a virus let them quit school or find some alternative. Goes for teachers, students , lunch ladies, whatever. Pay, class credits and benefits cease if you don't come. Start a hiring campaign. Ask for volunteers.

Here here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Having observed the current product of the modern education system over the last few months, I vote we leave the schools closed. For the children.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Yes. and I hope the liberals say that they feel endangered so that they can stay home.

Agreed.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[You also said your school wasn’t closed.

I did? Where?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
25,000 cases of rona in Louisiana for persons 0-29 years of age. (of course this doesn't take into account the numbers that had it but were not tested).

14 deaths. (of course all from rona.....rolls eyes)

The numbers for the 0-18 age bracket, which is all schools, is 3 deaths.

So why not open up?

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BLG
25,000 cases of rona in Louisiana for persons 0-29 years of age. (of course this doesn't take into account the numbers that had it but were not tested).

So why not open up?

Clyde

They (public) are depending on the Parish. I’ve yet to hear of any private or parochial schools that aren’t opening.

Charter schools??? Haven’t heard anything about them.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[You also said your school wasn’t closed.

I did? Where?

“Closing” the schools ain’t being discussed AFAIK, at the very least we’ll be back to online.

I expect I’ll be required to be in my classroom “x” number of hours, I have always way exceeded that anyway.

The State Government in Austin will decide what constitutes meeting our obligation to the taxpayer, as their employee I will start from there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That decision should be up to the school board as influenced by attending citizens. Teachers are employees, not CEO's

1Minute
IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

They (public) are depending on the Parish. I’ve yet to hear of any private or parochial schools that aren’t opening.

My son goes to private, but in orleans parish. Not sure how all of this is going to work.

On a side note, K-Paul's Resturant just announced they are closing for good. Go LaToya the Destroya.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

My son goes to private, but in orleans parish. Not sure how all of this is going to work.

On a side note, K-Paul's Resturant just announced they are closing for good. Go LaToya the Destroya.

Clyde

Hate to hear that about K-Paul’s. Drago’s is still rocking along with waiting lines most often at their Baton Rouge location.

LaToya is a sho nuff piece of work. Same as the Baton Rouge Mayor. Driving things into the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

Law suits. I believe this is the real underlying issue - scared of being sued.

Last edited by centershot; 07/13/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

Pffffftttt.

Good luck with that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by centershot

Seems inevitable across all types of educational institutions, public or public private.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting to read what other folks think of teachers and what they do. I can only speak for the school my kids go to and a different school system in an adjoining state that my wife is a speech pathologist for. This is a conservative rural area. Most of the teachers are pretty representative of the community.

My wife worked from the time they stopped school until the end of the school year non-stop. Continual online meetings with kids over Zoom doing their speech therapy. Was a tough deal the first week setting up schedules and technology. There were some that didn't show for meetings but she was working continually. Many of the meetings were after hours as parents needed to be there to get the young kids set up. Billing, planning, reporting, were all the same. In the end school not meeting was A LOT more work for her....all it saved was a drive in and back and it cost a lot more time than that took each day to do everything else.

For my kids which range from grade school, to middle school, to high school in a local school (same school k through 12) they had weekly assignments posted that they were required to submit for each class. The assignments were "required" and were graded....but I can't say exactly how the grades were used. All of my kids said it wasn't as much as they would have done during school. Each of them had multiple online sessions each week that they attended. The online sessions weren't required since some students didn't have the technology they might need....rural area with a wide array of income levels. I can say teachers were posting work/lectures, grading work, and having online sessions. I know a lot of the teachers and all of them I know said they would have preferred being in school and that doing what they did took more time/effort than teaching in class. I know they were instructed that lack of work from students or poor scores after the last in-school day should NOT affect the kids grades.....so I can't say exactly how they used the grading other than for feedback to the kids.

I read a lot here about how sorry teachers and schools are. I know there a couple of teacher's that need to "hit the road" where my kids attend but those teachers stick out for a reason.....the majority are solid and work hard to educate kids. I guess I'm fortunate where I live. I KNOW the teachers here and my wife want to go back to school....if nothing else to make sure football season happens...grin.... There's legitimate concern about how things are going to be handled when they go back, most are concerned but most want to go back.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Pardon me for not reading the entire thread, and I'm not a teacher, but administration at my job doesn't ask any of the employees their opinion on day to day operations.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by overmax
Pardon me for not reading the entire thread, and I'm not a teacher, but administration at my job doesn't ask any of the employees their opinion on day to day operations.

Union?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No sir.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by overmax
No sir.

Reason I asked is that the NEA swings a big stick,,,evidently.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.