Home

https://mrsteacherlife.wordpress.co...8o1n9wgBPfvUy-WUrRRgqF5HLFgMm6qCZ2X_inX4

Everyone has an opinion about how and if schools should reopen for this coming school year. We’ve heard from the governors, the pediatricians, the parents, the education secretary, and the president. Everyone has a “study” and “research” to back up their claims, but unfortunately (as always with decisions made in education) they do not have one very important thing- experience in a classroom. In classrooms filled to max capacity with five year olds who don’t even know how to blow their own noses, where the teacher:student ratio is 1:28 or in some cases even higher. Classrooms where the teachers are already begging parents for tissues, hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes, even in a pre-Covid world. Classrooms and hallways and bathrooms filled with teenagers who think they are invincible. School buildings with no extra rooms, without central air, where there are 4 sinks for over 200 students to use. As a teacher, I do have this experience, so I have many questions about how it will be possible and safe for schools to reopen. Nobody asked me- but since many other professions are giving their opinions about reopening, I thought maybe, just maybe, (it’s a little crazy but hear me out) we should hear from a teacher.

Let’s discuss hand washing. If an average class size of kindergartners is 25, then it would take 8.3 minutes for them each to wash their hands for 20 seconds- not too bad you might think. That’s doable- let’s reopen! Unfortunately that does not account for transition time between students at the sink, the student who plays in the bubbles, or splashes another student, or cuts in line, or has to be provided moral support to flush the toilet, because they are scared. It doesn’t account for the fact that only a few students will be allowed in the bathroom at a time and the teacher must monitor whose turn it is to enter and exit the bathroom, and control the hallway behavior, and send the student who just coughed to the “quarantine room” that doesn’t exist BECAUSE THERE ARE NO EXTRA ROOMS. Where are the students in hallway waiting? In line? All together? Six feet apart? No wait, three feet is okay now. Either way, 25 children standing three feet apart is a line over 75 feet long. Who is monitoring this line? Keeping them quiet, reminding them to keep their hands to themselves?

Another thing about social distancing. Even people who are not teachers have already figured out that there is not enough room in classrooms for all students to be six feet apart. No problem, we’ll just change the guideline to three feet. But what about all of the classrooms around the country that don’t even have room to put all of their student desks three feet apart? What about the classrooms that do not have desks and have tables where students sit in groups instead? Who is providing these classrooms with new socially distant furniture? Is there a budget for this or are schools getting increased funding? LOL NO, they are getting LESS funding. Oh okay, well maybe teachers will just buy it themselves out of their own pockets, as they do so many other supplies. Well I have bought A LOT for my classroom and students over the years, but I can not personally afford to buy them all individual desks. Even if the kids do have individual desk spaces, do they have to stay there all day? Do the kindergartners ever get to come to the carpet area for a story (spoiler alert- it is not big enough for 25 kids to sit three feet apart). Do they ever get to do centers? Sit next to a friend and read together? Can they even share books? I think before anyone gets to answer these questions, or more likely brush them aside, they should have to try to teach 25 five year olds how to sit in a chair on the first day of school.. and then get them to stay there all day every day.

So after we return to school without the equipment and ability to stay healthy and safe and a teacher or student gets symptoms, what then? The teacher or student should stay home to avoid infecting others, right? Well, a few things to consider: 1. Many times the kids are asymptomatic so they will be spreading germs unknowingly. 2. Many kids already come to school sick, sometimes dosed with medicine to mask fevers and symptoms, because parents have to get to work. How do we monitor this? 3. The symptoms of COVID are very similar to the symptoms that young children exhibit throughout the fall, winter, and spring due to common cold or allergies. And if teachers and students really stayed home every time they had a cough or symptom, they would probably be absent more than present. So do we have to ignore certain symptoms? Please clarify which symptoms are okay. 4. Staff are likely to have increased absences due to self-monitoring symptoms. Are they going to have substitutes for their classes? Substitutes can already be extremely hard to find. If we do find a sub- what germs are they bringing in? Where have they been? If they test positive do all schools they have been subbing at have to quarantine? 5. If a teacher or student tests positive for COVID, who quarantines? The entire class? The school building? Do we use sick days for this or is it unpaid? Do we switch to remote learning during the quarantine? Who is teaching the remote learning if the teacher is unable to work due to HAVING THE COVID THAT HE/SHE CAUGHT AT SCHOOL BECAUSE WE CHANGED ALL THE HEALTH AND SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS JUST TO ACCOMMODATE PUSHING SCHOOLS TO REOPEN WITHOUT THE EQUIPMENT, SPACE, OR ABILITY TO KEEP STAFF AND STUDENTS SAFE?

Yeah, but students need to be in school for socialization! You are 100% correct there. Students need to interact and have human connection and learn social skills. Helping students learn to make friends, share, be kind, love learning, and become good citizens is one of the most important parts of my job. However it’s going to be hard to interact when students have to stay apart and impossible to learn to share if they can’t touch the same supplies. And guess what? That REALLY stinks. Everyone can agree this whole Covid situation bites the big one. Teachers WANT to get back to school- WHEN IT IS SAFE. We want to get back to seeing “our kids” in person everyday- WHEN THE CASES STOP RISING. Teaching remotely is not easy or fun. We want to get back in our classrooms- WHEN WE NO LONGER HAVE TO FEEL LIKE WE ARE RISKING OUR LIVES AND OUR FAMILIES LIVES TO DO SO.

We hear you, parents: Kids like school. They miss school. They learn more at school. They are annoying you at home. Teachers miss school too. We miss the kids (even though, off the record, they annoy us sometimes too)! But our top concern right now is that everyone is healthy and safe. Remote learning isn’t most people’s first choice, but it is a safer solution in the meantime, while we figure out this global health crisis. It is also hard to imagine how much learning would be taking place in the classroom anyway after they wait in their 75 foot long lines to wash their hands for 20 seconds multiple times a day. School days are already crammed full and now we will be adding in disinfecting constantly, monitoring for symptoms, sending kids to “quarantine”, trying to get ahold of parents, dealing with masks, giving “mask breaks”, etc. We were flying by the seat of our pants to make remote learning work last spring and I think teachers across the country did a pretty darn good job! But if we would decide now to make the safe decision for teachers and students and open with remote learning in the fall, teachers could be training and preparing and planning for online education, (instead of trying to open schools and then flying by the seat of our pants AGAIN to go online when it doesn’t work!)

We hear you pediatricians: Kids don’t usually get severe symptoms. They are usually asymptomatic. That is all well and good, but kids can still spread the virus to each other. They might not get sick, but they can take those germs home to their families. They can give those germs to their teachers, who can take it home to their families. Yes, we, as teachers, are used to being the sacrificial lambs. Yes, we protect our students and would take a bullet for them if necessary. We would give our lives to keep them safe when they are in our care. But I am not willing to expose myself to COVID and take COVID home to my family for the sake of having school in-person when that is completely preventable.

We hear you, governors: wE aRe hAVinG a haRd tiMe mAkiNg dEcisiONs. Yes, this is an ever-changing situation and we have all been keeping our fingers crossed, but COVID is not going away, cases are on the rise, the school year is approaching, and we need answers.

We hear you, Secretary of Education (“the first secretary of education with zero experience in public schools”): Blah, blah, blah. Please sit down.

We hear you, President: These CDC guidelines are too safe. Make them less safe and easier and cheaper to follow. Open the schools or I will cut your funding. The health and safety of this country’s children and teachers is more important than the economy. That should be obvious and not a political issue to be debated.

But what do I know? I’m just a teacher. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can understand why SHE didn't join the military.
there'd be a different tune sung if staying home without pay were the only option.
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
there'd be a different tune sung if staying home without pay were the only option.

Bingo!
Originally Posted by RemModel8

I did. And I teach.

She is correct.

I recall boot camp where a few weeks in the "Ricky crud" started going around. 120 men in close quarters spread sickness quickly despite hygenic efforts.

School is the same, about three weeks in the sniffles start, colds spread. More difficult to enforce hygiene, as some students don't even shower on a daily basis.

I have a few high schoolers for whom we had to arrange time to use the school clothes washers and dryers as their laundry wasn't done at home.

Coronavirus will spread quickly in a school environment.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

Bingo!

Most teachers I know would gladly go without pay to keep children safe.
The Covid is going to kill people. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, traffic accidents, etc. kill people.

Locking down the economy again will kill more people.

How much poverty and despair would be caused to parents who can't go to work because their kids must stay home?

And if anyone thinks that teachers would gladly go without pay to keep the kids safe, you haven't spend much time in big city schools.
My wife is a special education director and probably has the biggest challenge with kids hygiene and she is 100% for schools opening up.

Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I did. And I teach.

She is correct.

I recall boot camp where a few weeks in the "Ricky crud" started going around. 120 men in close quarters spread sickness quickly despite hygenic efforts.

School is the same, about three weeks in the sniffles start, colds spread. More difficult to enforce hygiene, as some students don't even shower on a daily basis.

I have a few high schoolers for whom we had to arrange time to use the school clothes washers and dryers as their laundry wasn't done at home.

Hardly a year goes by that schools all across the country don't wind up having to temporarily cancel in-school classes due to low attendance caused by some kind of contagious "bug", then spreads at home.

Nothing more than pure fantasy if they think kids will wear masks properly, not touch their faces, maintain a safe distance from others, and follow all the other 'guidelines' all day long.
I heard another argument about opening schools (I too am a vet and a teacher).
Kids gets exposed, no big deal, goes home to Momma - who is obese, high BP, diabetic. Mom spreads to her sister and friends, and parents, Easily spread amongst that demographic, inner city, poor health, from the school. Yet, Parents do not want the kids at home for another year.

Bingo!

Feel good statement...

Go without pay for a few years and then get back to me about the joy in your life.

Money does not buy happiness, but poverty buys absolutely nothing.
Also, Not all students are 5 year old Kindergarteners, I have 15-20 year old high school special education students. Some are already mommies and daddies - in other words all grown up - yet we still have to provide for their education through 21...
I wont say open them or keep them closed. But it will spread quickly once they open in a month or so. The kids may not get sick but they will transmit it to members of their family. I'm not faced with the challenges these parents have with two working spouses and young kids not old enough to look after themselves. Or those families that have grandparents or high risk family members living with them. Lets not kid ourselves that it wont spread like wildfire. Maybe its good to just get it over with. I truly dont know.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Money does not buy happiness, but poverty buys absolutely nothing.

"People who say that money does not buy happiness don't know where to shop."--Joan Rivers

Bingo!

Depends on their situation. Are they older with savings , Is their house paid for, are they single Income or primary income or does their spouse have a job that will pay the bills. I bet if you ask a young teacher who is a single income or single parent with rent and a car payment they wont be wanting to go without pay.
Herd immunity will be completed in short order.
Friends of mine have twins who are supposed to be entering first grade. They are concerned with the lack of any information at all from the school district. Trying to get daycare or not is a huge concern.

A silver lining to this might be kids being away from the political indoctrination agenda.

I do agree that social skills acquired in person are better than those learned online.
The real argument for not opening schools: Trump and his pesky economy must be destroyed.
[

Yes it will.

The corona virus spreads quickly outside a school environment. It went to every country in the world in about 2 months. If the answer is closing schools and society one more time, what you gain? The spread is inevitable. You make a 1 year event a 3 year event.

If the answer is wait for a vaccine, how long do we wait? In the meantime the virus spreads with or without school, with or without another shutdown.

It is either highly contagious or it's not. If it is, just do the math. If it can circle the globe in 2 months and is seeded in virtually every single county in the US, how are you going to protect people from it? Even with the shutdown people still went to the grocery store, Wallmart, Home Depot. People still worked at hospitals, nursing homes and public safety. You cannot protect the public from every doorknob, shopping cart, or surface. Hey, anybody grab a gas pump handle lately? Anybody sterilize that before hand? Who had their hand on it before you?

What is the best possible overly optimist timeline to get a vaccine AND deliver it? If you had one by Labor Day and could you produce 300 million doses for the US alone AND deliver them in 6 months? If you could, they go to the most vulnerable people first - the elderly and the kids last because they are not as susceptible. So it's next Easter before the kids get the vaccine and convert.

No school for a year? I experienced a full online schedule this Spring with my HS Senior. That was a farce for him, and I can't imagine mom's of middle schoolers or 1st graders trying to on line. It would be a lost educational year. Who the phouc stays at home with the kids? You are not just advocating a school shutdown but a complete work shut down for 10s of millions of Americans to stay home with the kids. Not everyone can work remotely and how do you work remortely and monitor kids doing school, make them lunch, give them some down time? How many of those people lose employer healthcare because they can't work for a year, two years three? Now THAT's a problem!

Finally, if this thing is really so contagious, how many millions get before universal vaccination? Can you FORCE mandatory vaccination?

If this is so contagious, do the math, do we reach herd immunity before there is any possibility of a vaccine "saving all of us"?

My bet is that don't get a vaccine ready in 2020. These things aren't so simple. In the meantime, we will live with this thing for another year or more. Do the math. Shutdown or no shutdown what are YOUR numbers?
(you -meaning anybody) Do we have 2.5 million cases right now or 20 million as the CDC estimates?

If it 2 or 20 million, then thing is contagious and out of control and that will go to 40 million then 100 million long before the vaccine and salvation arrives.

Don't get me wrong, I want a vaccine as quick as possible. Without out it, we have to live with a spreading virus. Staying at home with everyone's heads under the cover does not make it go away. I am confident we will find effective treatments along the way, and some quickly that will mitigate the symptoms, shorten the course of the disease and lower the mortality. The overall concept that if we just stay home we will be saved is fantasy.
Then shutdown government run schools. No more taxpayer funding schools, teachers, bus drivers, lunch ladies. Give back big amounts in property taxes and other taxes used to fund them.

Let the parents figure out how they are going to educate THEIR children. Period.

I did. And I teach.

She is correct.

And the machine did not stop. I don't ever recall the military saying 'stay home for a year'.
Then shutdown government run schools. No more taxpayer funding schools, teachers, bus drivers, lunch ladies. Give back big amounts in property taxes and other taxes used to fund them.

Let the parents figure out how they are going to educate THEIR children. Period.

Think you made a typo...

Increase 500% the amounts in property taxes and other taxes used to fund them.

That what you meant?
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Think you made a typo...

Increase 500% the amounts in property taxes and other taxes used to fund them.

That what you meant?

I'm sure not having kids in school is going to cost MORE money, in some odd way.

Bingo!

[bleep], I'm still laughing.
Time to stop living in fear
The superintendent here said that the "overwhelming majority of his teaching staff does not want to return to work?"

LMAO.
Originally Posted by joken2

Everyone has an opinion about how and if schools should reopen for this coming school year. We’ve heard from the governors, the pediatricians, the parents, the education secretary, and the president. Everyone has a “study” and “research” to back up their claims, but unfortunately (as always with decisions made in education) they do not have one very important thing- experience in a classroom. In classrooms filled to max capacity with five year olds who don’t even know how to blow their own noses, where the teacher:student ratio is 1:28 or in some cases even higher. Classrooms where the teachers are already begging parents for tissues, hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes, even in a pre-Covid world. Classrooms and hallways and bathrooms filled with teenagers who think they are invincible. School buildings with no extra rooms, without central air, where there are 4 sinks for over 200 students to use. As a teacher, I do have this experience, so I have many questions about how it will be possible and safe for schools to reopen. Nobody asked me- but since many other professions are giving their opinions about reopening, I thought maybe, just maybe, (it’s a little crazy but hear me out) we should hear from a teacher.

Let’s discuss hand washing. If an average class size of kindergartners is 25, then it would take 8.3 minutes for them each to wash their hands for 20 seconds- not too bad you might think. That’s doable- let’s reopen! Unfortunately that does not account for transition time between students at the sink, the student who plays in the bubbles, or splashes another student, or cuts in line, or has to be provided moral support to flush the toilet, because they are scared. It doesn’t account for the fact that only a few students will be allowed in the bathroom at a time and the teacher must monitor whose turn it is to enter and exit the bathroom, and control the hallway behavior, and send the student who just coughed to the “quarantine room” that doesn’t exist BECAUSE THERE ARE NO EXTRA ROOMS. Where are the students in hallway waiting? In line? All together? Six feet apart? No wait, three feet is okay now. Either way, 25 children standing three feet apart is a line over 75 feet long. Who is monitoring this line? Keeping them quiet, reminding them to keep their hands to themselves?

Another thing about social distancing. Even people who are not teachers have already figured out that there is not enough room in classrooms for all students to be six feet apart. No problem, we’ll just change the guideline to three feet. But what about all of the classrooms around the country that don’t even have room to put all of their student desks three feet apart? What about the classrooms that do not have desks and have tables where students sit in groups instead? Who is providing these classrooms with new socially distant furniture? Is there a budget for this or are schools getting increased funding? LOL NO, they are getting LESS funding. Oh okay, well maybe teachers will just buy it themselves out of their own pockets, as they do so many other supplies. Well I have bought A LOT for my classroom and students over the years, but I can not personally afford to buy them all individual desks. Even if the kids do have individual desk spaces, do they have to stay there all day? Do the kindergartners ever get to come to the carpet area for a story (spoiler alert- it is not big enough for 25 kids to sit three feet apart). Do they ever get to do centers? Sit next to a friend and read together? Can they even share books? I think before anyone gets to answer these questions, or more likely brush them aside, they should have to try to teach 25 five year olds how to sit in a chair on the first day of school.. and then get them to stay there all day every day.

So after we return to school without the equipment and ability to stay healthy and safe and a teacher or student gets symptoms, what then? The teacher or student should stay home to avoid infecting others, right? Well, a few things to consider: 1. Many times the kids are asymptomatic so they will be spreading germs unknowingly. 2. Many kids already come to school sick, sometimes dosed with medicine to mask fevers and symptoms, because parents have to get to work. How do we monitor this? 3. The symptoms of COVID are very similar to the symptoms that young children exhibit throughout the fall, winter, and spring due to common cold or allergies. And if teachers and students really stayed home every time they had a cough or symptom, they would probably be absent more than present. So do we have to ignore certain symptoms? Please clarify which symptoms are okay. 4. Staff are likely to have increased absences due to self-monitoring symptoms. Are they going to have substitutes for their classes? Substitutes can already be extremely hard to find. If we do find a sub- what germs are they bringing in? Where have they been? If they test positive do all schools they have been subbing at have to quarantine? 5. If a teacher or student tests positive for COVID, who quarantines? The entire class? The school building? Do we use sick days for this or is it unpaid? Do we switch to remote learning during the quarantine? Who is teaching the remote learning if the teacher is unable to work due to HAVING THE COVID THAT HE/SHE CAUGHT AT SCHOOL BECAUSE WE CHANGED ALL THE HEALTH AND SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS JUST TO ACCOMMODATE PUSHING SCHOOLS TO REOPEN WITHOUT THE EQUIPMENT, SPACE, OR ABILITY TO KEEP STAFF AND STUDENTS SAFE?

Yeah, but students need to be in school for socialization! You are 100% correct there. Students need to interact and have human connection and learn social skills. Helping students learn to make friends, share, be kind, love learning, and become good citizens is one of the most important parts of my job. However it’s going to be hard to interact when students have to stay apart and impossible to learn to share if they can’t touch the same supplies. And guess what? That REALLY stinks. Everyone can agree this whole Covid situation bites the big one. Teachers WANT to get back to school- WHEN IT IS SAFE. We want to get back to seeing “our kids” in person everyday- WHEN THE CASES STOP RISING. Teaching remotely is not easy or fun. We want to get back in our classrooms- WHEN WE NO LONGER HAVE TO FEEL LIKE WE ARE RISKING OUR LIVES AND OUR FAMILIES LIVES TO DO SO.

We hear you, parents: Kids like school. They miss school. They learn more at school. They are annoying you at home. Teachers miss school too. We miss the kids (even though, off the record, they annoy us sometimes too)! But our top concern right now is that everyone is healthy and safe. Remote learning isn’t most people’s first choice, but it is a safer solution in the meantime, while we figure out this global health crisis. It is also hard to imagine how much learning would be taking place in the classroom anyway after they wait in their 75 foot long lines to wash their hands for 20 seconds multiple times a day. School days are already crammed full and now we will be adding in disinfecting constantly, monitoring for symptoms, sending kids to “quarantine”, trying to get ahold of parents, dealing with masks, giving “mask breaks”, etc. We were flying by the seat of our pants to make remote learning work last spring and I think teachers across the country did a pretty darn good job! But if we would decide now to make the safe decision for teachers and students and open with remote learning in the fall, teachers could be training and preparing and planning for online education, (instead of trying to open schools and then flying by the seat of our pants AGAIN to go online when it doesn’t work!)

We hear you pediatricians: Kids don’t usually get severe symptoms. They are usually asymptomatic. That is all well and good, but kids can still spread the virus to each other. They might not get sick, but they can take those germs home to their families. They can give those germs to their teachers, who can take it home to their families. Yes, we, as teachers, are used to being the sacrificial lambs. Yes, we protect our students and would take a bullet for them if necessary. We would give our lives to keep them safe when they are in our care. But I am not willing to expose myself to COVID and take COVID home to my family for the sake of having school in-person when that is completely preventable.

We hear you, governors: wE aRe hAVinG a haRd tiMe mAkiNg dEcisiONs. Yes, this is an ever-changing situation and we have all been keeping our fingers crossed, but COVID is not going away, cases are on the rise, the school year is approaching, and we need answers.

We hear you, Secretary of Education (“the first secretary of education with zero experience in public schools”): Blah, blah, blah. Please sit down.

We hear you, President: These CDC guidelines are too safe. Make them less safe and easier and cheaper to follow. Open the schools or I will cut your funding. The health and safety of this country’s children and teachers is more important than the economy. That should be obvious and not a political issue to be debated.

Did the Duck of Death pen this garbage?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by deflave
The superintendent here said that the "overwhelming majority of his teaching staff does not want to return to work?"

LMAO.

Well, duh. They are dimocraps.
The country is either going to live with C-19, until it dies out, or the country is going to die from dealing with it. ...............& she does have some points to consider.

MM
on the positive side, this will slow down the commie objectives of the 'professional' educators, better yet there will be many useless colleges and universities shuttered
Open the fricking schools. If you dont like it then dont send your kids to school. Home schooling is always an option.
Seems like a good opportunity to make some big changes to the education system.

The single most common complaint I've heard from teachers around here is so far they can't get any straight specific answers from local school boards as to what the rules will be and what's expected of them when schools do reopen.

The single most common complaint I've heard from teachers around here is so far they can't get any straight specific answers from local school boards as to what the rules will be and what's expected of them when schools do reopen.

That’s because it’s not up to the school board to draft the plan. Superintendent makes the call and the boards say yes or no.
According to Bristoe, the teacher's union controls his entire state government. Those fuggers aren't going back to work.
Agree. That’s how it’s supposed to work anyways.
If the kids were kept out of school and only taught classes on line it would sure limit the liberal crap told to them everyday. Facts for a basic education and nothing else. How about teaching history again. Ed k

No one asks the infantry private how to coordinate the naval logistics of D-day.
She and everyone like her need to stay the [bleep] home; its what she wants anyway (unless its to go shopping).

Change the topic to "going outside", and let the hand wringing begin.
Originally Posted by Calvin
One of the most wasteful, inefficient, and extortionist industries that the taxpayers have to foot the bill for in our entire country.

Bingo!

Are they sending their paychecks back?
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...s-cant-reopen-unless-charter-schools-get

In short, the teachers union says it will not open unless police are defunded and Charter Schools closed.

On the plus side, I've been told that most teachers would work for free.

"A major teachers union is claiming that the re-opening of schools in its district cannot occur without several substantial policy provisions in place, including a "moratorium" on charter schools and the defunding of local police.

United Teachers Los Angeles, a 35,000-strong union in the Los Angeles Unified School District, made those demands in a policy paper it released this week. The organization called on local authorities to "keep school campuses closed when the semester begins on Aug. 18."

The union outlined numerous major provisions it says will be necessary to reopen schools again, including sequestering students in small groups throughout the school day, providing students with masks and other forms of protective equipment, and re-designing school layouts in order to facilitate "social distancing."

Yet the union goes even farther than those requests, calling for "local support" in the form of defunded police departments and the shuttering of charter schools.

Police violence "is a leading cause of death and trauma for Black people, and is a serious public health and moral issue," the union writes. The document calls on authorities to "shift the astronomical amount of money devoted to policing, to education and other essential needs such as housing and public health."

"Privately operated, publicly funded charter schools," meanwhile, "drain resources from district schools," the union states. The practice of "colocating" charter schools in existing structures, it continues, "adds students to campuses when we need to reduce the number of students to allow for physical distancing."

The union also demands the implementation of a federal Medicare-for-All program, several new state-level taxes on wealthy people, and a "federal bailout" of the school district.

"The benefits to restarting physical schools must outweigh the risks, especially for our most vulnerable students and school communities," the document continues.

"As it stands, the only people guaranteed to benefit from the premature physical reopening of schools amidst a rapidly accelerating pandemic are billionaires and the politicians they’ve purchased," it adds."

Agreed. It's time to strike.

Public schools need to go the way of the Dodo bird.
When I was in kindergarten I remember thinking of just how fugking stupid teachers were.

Now I'm in my 40's and every time I interact with them, I'm reminded of just how fugking stupid they all are.
When I was in kindergarten I remember thinking of just how fugking stupid teachers were.

Now I'm in my 40's and every time I interact with them, I'm reminded of just how fugking stupid they all are.

Have you ever dated a teacher? Holy warped head.

I've often wondered how somebody that is married with children gets to pay LESS taxes.

Have you ever dated a teacher? Holy warped head.

I tend to wear my opinions on my sleeve.

So, no.

LOL
Who would guess the Nationalist Socialist Education Workers Party would be against it?

""As it stands, the only people guaranteed to benefit from the premature physical reopening of schools amidst a rapidly accelerating pandemic are billionaires and the politicians they’ve purchased," it adds."

As opposed to the real heartfelt and charming people who want to not work and still get paid (stiff the taxpayer yet again).

Not in any sector does the worker bees say "I won't" so many times and still keep a gig.

I've often wondered how somebody that is married with children gets to pay LESS taxes.

It makes zero sense to me too. The more drain on services one is, the less the pay.

EIC, goes to educate YOUR child. SNAP/WELFARE gets the 'free breakfast/lunch' taken from it. Etc etc etc
Hell, there shouldn't even be EIC.
Originally Posted by HawkI
Who would guess the Nationalist Socialist Education Workers Party would be against it?

""As it stands, the only people guaranteed to benefit from the premature physical reopening of schools amidst a rapidly accelerating pandemic are billionaires and the politicians they’ve purchased," it adds."

As opposed to the real heartfelt and charming people who want to not work and still get paid (stiff the taxpayer yet again).

Not in any sector does the worker bees say "I won't" so many times and still keep a gig.

The OP's link takes you to a page titled:

A Teacher's Life. A Teacher Knows Best

Talk about a belly laugh.
In short, the teachers union says it will not open unless police are defunded and Charter Schools closed.

these fanatics are disgusting

I have never figured out how someone can go through the moron factory that is the American public education system, come out the other side, and think "THAT'S where I want to spend a career!"

Same way with high school sports coaches. It takes a peculiar person to want to spend their adult life in a fuggin high school locker room.
Originally Posted by auk1124

I have never figured out how someone can go through the moron factory that is the American public education system, come out the other side, and think "THAT'S where I want to spend a career!"

Same way with high school sports coaches. It takes a peculiar person to want to spend their adult life in a fuggin high school locker room.

What is even more impressive, is the number of people that will happily vote to give more money to teachers/schools etc. Those idiots occupy both sides of the political isle.
Originally Posted by auk1124

There is an easy explanation to this. People drwn to education tend to first of all be comfortable in that structured environment. Next, most of them enjoyed some degree of personal success in the class roman are not risk takers.

Next you get the group that egotistically enjoys spending their time with their intellectual inferiors and the power mad that enjoy the authority they have over students. I this really starts to show at universities with tenured professors. Throw into that mixed the Asperger's and Autist spectrum professors that might be accomplished in math or physics or ancient Tabouleh literature, but can't function in a normal social setting.

Next is the classic for women in education - it's a safe, guaranteed job. They bit h about the low pay, the lack of support from the administration, long nights grading papers (please! ) too many meeting, not enough latitude in how they can teach or what they teach (blame the government -No Child Left Behind anyone??)Yet they only work 8 + months, they 10 weeks off in the summer, a week in September, a week in November, two weeks in December/January, a week in February and a week off in April.

They retire after 30-35 years with substantial pay and great benefits. They can work another ten years either part time teaching or in a second career and bank the money if they choose. I have a number of friends doing just that. "Retired" from full time, collecting pension and benefits, working and coaching part time. "Double dipping"

That’s because it’s not up to the school board to draft the plan. Superintendent makes the call and the boards say yes or no.

Not true in Montana anyway, it's the health dept making the rules.
Just like when they said earlier they could open the schools but you had to do X, Y and Z virtually made it impossible.
What is even more impressive, is the number of people that will happily vote to give more money to teachers/schools etc. Those idiots occupy both sides of the political isle.
And the answer to every single problem is to throw even more taxpayers money at it.
teachers unions better be careful what they ask for. a properly run charter school would kick the absolute ass of most public school systems at a fraction of the cost and much more efficiently. and with a hell of a lot of companies are getting rid of hard office space, mine included, it opens up a whole new way of working and educating. someday the public school system will be where only problem kids with schitty families end up.
It’s time for everyone to take a deep breath and think. Set emotion aside and look at the facts. The scamdemic is the democrat plan to separate the Trump voter from Trump. There is no science behind the overreaction to the virus. If finding/developing a vaccine for a virus is so easy, why don’t we have one for the common cold? AIDS?

As it has been said— get back to your lives. Go to work, send your kids to school or home school, go to the park, go fishing, go hunting, whatever it is you like to do. Quit living in fear propagated by the liberal media and governmental bureaucrats.

Falsi and company haven’t been right for 40 years. Why are they right now?
Originally Posted by slowmover12
It’s time for everyone to take a deep breath and think. Set emotion aside and look at the facts. The scamdemic is the democrat plan to separate the Trump voter from Trump. There is no science behind the overreaction to the virus. If finding/developing a vaccine for a virus is so easy, why don’t we have one for the common cold? AIDS?

As it has been said— get back to your lives. Go to work, send your kids to school or home school, go to the park, go fishing, go hunting, whatever it is you like to do. Quit living in fear propagated by the liberal media and governmental bureaucrats.

And eliminate taxpayer funded schools. You forgot that part.

I have zero desire to pay for your bastard.

Is it my kids you hate so much or just paying for them?

Stingy bastard....better leave a rifle for me if I help your wife get rid of your corpse. Ain't no free lunch. ....grin....
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Stingy bastard....better leave a rifle for me if I help your wife get rid of your corpse. Ain't no free lunch. ....grin....

I'm good with paying for anyone's kid, but I need a shot at the tunnel of love they came out of.

I
Originally Posted by sherm_61
My wife is a special education director and probably has the biggest challenge with kids hygiene and she is 100% for schools opening up.

My wife has the same job and also wants the schools to reopen
It's easy for some to bash on teachers, I'm certainly no fan of unions especially teachers unions but to lump all teachers as dumb I challenge anyone to come to my wifes special education school and do what's these teachers do every day, I've seem a little tiny bit of it and theres no way I could do it.
My wife started out as a para then took a night job for 8 years as a janitor so she could get her special education degree then worked as a spec ed teacher for 13 years got here masters deg and administration endorsement and all while working full time. She now has been a director for 5 years and has loved every minute of being a spec ed teacher and now director.
As the ole saying goes dont knock it untill you walk a mile in my shoes.

I'm good with paying for anyone's kid, but I need a shot at the tunnel of love they came out of.

I

Altruism dies in exchange for a shot of leg......
She is just another older SnowFLAKE.
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
She is just another older SnowFLAKE.

You referring to my wife?
Nobody, from the Guvnor to the principal, wants to sign off on a back to school policy.

Not because it may jeopardize children's or faculty health.....but because it opens them up to liability.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nobody, from the Guvnor to the principal, wants to sign off on a back to school policy.

Not because it may jeopardize children's or faculty health.....but because it opens them up to liability.

Yeah, with 3 kids in the local school system I'm waiting to see what happens....paying close attention. The current plan for our local is clear as mud. I do think most of the local folks want to do what's best....they just aren't sure what that is.

Don't worry about what the American President says the schools in USA will not open on scheduled time. There is no shame in working less hard and getting paid for it.

I

Altruism dies in exchange for a shot of leg......

TFF, and true! Screw money...
Originally Posted by Slavek

Don't worry about what the American President says the schools in USA will not open on scheduled time. There is no shame in working less hard and getting paid for it.

Funny, your accent never sounded black. Goes to show ya.
Originally Posted by Slavek

Your race is inferior.

You'll never get to where you want to be.

That's called COWARD. Very few leaders today. Hence the reason Trump has upped the sale of Vagisil by 5000 percent.
It's easy for some to bash on teachers, I'm certainly no fan of unions especially teachers unions but to lump all teachers as dumb I challenge anyone to come to my wifes special education school and do what's these teachers do every day, I've seem a little tiny bit of it and theres no way I could do it.
My wife started out as a para then took a night job for 8 years as a janitor so she could get her special education degree then worked as a spec ed teacher for 13 years got here masters deg and administration endorsement and all while working full time. She now has been a director for 5 years and has loved every minute of being a spec ed teacher and now director.

Sounds tough. But than I've never met a women who's job wasn't the most important in the world.

Yeah, with 3 kids in the local school system I'm waiting to see what happens....paying close attention. The current plan for our local is clear as mud. I do think most of the local folks want to do what's best....they just aren't sure what that is.

Anybody that hasn't put the pieces together at this point is a cull.

What are your wife's thoughts on the schools reopening?
Sweden never closed their schools and they’re in the middle of the pack world wide in deaths but they’re showing signs of herd immunity already. If the trend continues they’ll achieve herd immunity by fall an never shut down their economy or schools. Schools need to open and the Chinese virus run its course.

Fugg that.

The question is does she vote with the union.

No offense to your wife, but the mileage has been cake since March...

Anybody that hasn't put the pieces together at this point is a cull.

Or pulling a union lever.

Try getting parts from can-kickers, butt hurt and the "sick" askeered.

Trump bad, non-maskers bad, protesting, flag burning statue topplers good.
Originally Posted by rem141r
teachers unions better be careful what they ask for. a properly run charter school would kick the absolute ass of most public school systems at a fraction of the cost and much more efficiently. and with a hell of a lot of companies are getting rid of hard office space, mine included, it opens up a whole new way of working and educating.

Charter schools are already making serious inroads here, the two biggies being IDEA and Harmony. IIRC Harmony is financed by a Turkish billionaire hence the Moslem-style minaret profile over their entrance. From what I gather IDEA sucks to teach at, a lot of micro-control by Managers with minimal teaching experience.

All this Charter school program with private corporations receiving tax dollars is new, and the jury is still out. The charter schools make extravagant promises but have not had the time to establish a rep, one way or the other. I have had disillusioned parents, good parents, pull their kids out of IDEA because of giving kids answers to statewide exams and what they felt rose to a level of harassment any time their kid was absent, IDEA's funding dependent upon kids in their seat in class.

OTOH I have a good friend who is a reenactor, he even got an NRA grant to equip a unit of high-school level War of Secession reenactors. That guy now teaches at a charter school, small class sizes, a free hand at what he teachers. Absolutely LOVES it. But that ain't an IDEA or Harmony school.

.... someday the public school system will be where only problem kids with schitty families end up.

Depends on the location of the school and the socio-economic strata it serves. For the most part, if you live in a crappy, lower-economic area anywhere in America that is a result of the lifestyle choices you make. San Antonio is rapidly growing, I could get a job at a high end public high school on the far North Side. Those schools aren't really suffering from charter schools because they have modern facilities and few crime problems. There is still a huge appeal innate in the classic American high school experience with all the traditional extra-curricular stuff.

....someday the public school system will be where only problem kids with schitty families end up.

My own particular schtick these past three decades has been teaching bright kids in a rough area, helping push them up and out to professional success, because even in crappy areas there still is a lot of good parents who have good, well-raised and secure kids. Unfortunately there is also a lot of kids who AIN'T well-raised and secure. Security is good on campus but we still get the occasional gun recovered on campus and more often lockdowns because of incidents in the area.

Charter Schools can pick and choose their students, which is tremendously reassuring to worried parents, they also have the luxury of kicking kids out, which public schools do not. So in the last few years a significant proportion of the kids I would get to teach are being siphoned off to charter schools.

I feel a probably misplaced loyalty to my particular school, and I am in it for the duration while many around me have always transferred out. God willing I'm gonna go another seven years to age 70. This charter/public school situation is still in flux, eventually some sort of equilibrium will be reached.

I used to think huge inroads would be made in a switch to online education, this Covid thing has changed my perception of that. Online education is about like Homeschool, some parents are willing and able to devote the time and effort, I would think a stay-at-home parent is essential. For the average teenager, left to their own devices, you can't get Jack done effectively.

JMHO

As to the original point; open the schools and monitor closely. I fully expect this school year to start out a train wreck, fearful kids, fearful parents, all wearing masks, but its gotta be done.

Fugg that.

You have no idea, my wife is as conservative as anybody out there.
Sure as Hell hasnt been cake for my wife or staff been to her office every single day 10 hrs a day. Alot of extra B.S
Like I said you wanna follow her for a couple days she would be more tha happy to let you, you'll be enlightened.
As to what she thinks about the school opening, she wants them open PERIOD!!! shes willing to do whatever it takes as long as it's not impossible like when they said could open the schools in Montana as long as you did what the health department rules said which was impossible.
By the way Montana administrators are not in the union, you dont have a clue.

Fugg that.

You have no idea, my wife is as conservative as anybody out there.
Sure as Hell hasnt been cake for my wife or staff been to her office every single day 10 hrs a day. Alot of extra B.S
Like I said you wanna follow her for a couple days she would be more tha happy to let you, you'll be enlightened.
As to what she thinks about the school opening, she wants them open PERIOD!!! shes willing to do whatever it takes as long as it's not impossible like when they said could open the schools in Montana as long as you did what the health department rules said which was impossible.
By the way Montana administrators are not in the union, you dont have a clue.

Ok. I dont have a clue.
When was your wife last on the clock?
Friday July 10th, Her contract is 225 days a year.
I don’t know if the schools down here are going to open or not. It will be interesting if they don’t.
A re-print from Solidarity House, All will be forgot with a 20% hazard pay increase.

Are there a actually kids there?

Are there a actually kids there?

No not since April I think it was when they shut the schools down.
What are you getting at?
You think shes slacking when they shut the schools down,
that didnt mean that they didnt have to come up with curriculum for online teaching

that didnt mean that they didnt have to come up with curriculum for online teaching

Oh for fugk sake.

I dont think anything....other than the pay is the same for not separating cans from bottles, creating curriculum or spending ten hours a day on Hulu or Amazon.com..

Send me 1000k a day and I"ll plan the curriculum. I'll send you back $350 for keeping quiet, the 50 bucks goes for keeping the "10 hour a day" theme rolling for all of us.

Oh for fugk sake.

You used to be from montana, come around to Kalispell and follow her around for a few days and see all the medicare, medicaid, IEP's and all the other Federal B.S paper work she has to do for 17 schools.
FOR FUGK SAKE!

Oh for fugk sake.

You used to be from montana, come around to Kalispell and follow her around for a few days and see all the medicare, medicaid, IEP's and all the other Federal B.S paper work she has to do for 17 schools.
FOR FUGK SAKE!

TSizzle, you aint drunk enough to combat this logic.
Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

These debates generally fall into two camps; those that know actual teachers and those that don't.

Sherm; fugg those ragging on your missus, its just casual Campfire spite anyhow.

FWIW I already have my contract for next year, but there's always a clause every year that they don't have to honor it if enrollment changes.

Time will tell <"shrug">

Oh for fugk sake.

FOR FUGK SAKE!

Your wife works for 17 schools?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

These debates generally fall into two camps; those that know actual teachers and those that don't.

Sherm; fugg those ragging on your missus, its just casual Campfire spite anyhow.

FWIW I already have my contract for next year, but there's always a clause every year that they don't have to honor it if enrollment changes.

Time will tell <"shrug">

Capt. Peace Corps turned school teacher.

I’m sure all your opinions are sensible.
If my kids were still little I'd pull them and homeschool. But they're in HS, and barring armageddon that's not gonna happen. Fugg the public school system and liberal shidt eating teachers they employ is my honest assessment. But again, my taxes go into it whether I like it or not.

If the kung-flu were as deadly as first (and erroneously) reported I'd be all for it, along with the masks, restrictions, blah blah blah. But as time goes on the stats show simply that it's not. Send the kids back to school, or shut em down and lay off the teachers without pay, and let my taxes reflect it. Schools are germ factories, we don't shut it down for the seasonal flu, or any of the other common communicable diseases. Educating kids has taken a far back seat to indoctrination of kids anyway.

Boomers are shidting their pants right now and holding the country hostage, along with their allies in the left field of politics.
It's easy sitting behind a computer being a pussy key board commando, like I said one week of cleaning kids of soiling themselves, seizures and just about everthing you can imagine and 99% would be going home crying to momma.

Oh for fugk sake.

FOR FUGK SAKE!

Your wife works for 17 schools?

For fugg sake, there are 24 time zones in the world, she should be allowed 7 hours off for sleep.
It's easy sitting behind a computer being a pussy key board commando, like I said one week of cleaning kids of soiling themselves, seizures and just about everthing you can imagine and 99% would be going home crying to momma.

Agreed.

Where has your wife been working since the shutdown?

Time will tell <"shrug">

Missed "the kids" in your post.

Everything else spot on...

If they're that bad they should be institutionalized if the family can't afford the home care. IMHO

Not knocking your old lady at all, no way in hell I'd do that job. I'll add you have said multiple times she thinks the schools should open, so you're argument isn't with me.

Time will tell <"shrug">

Note how the pretentious, ass hole, loser likes to tell parents that they don’t know any school teachers.

LOL

Can’t make it up.

Time will tell <"shrug">

The ones he's posted about masturbating to?
I know a metric azzload of teachers.

Time will tell <"shrug">

Note how the pretentious, ass hole, loser likes to tell parents that they don’t know any school teachers.

LOL

Can’t make it up.

Ive always been called (or insinuated)) I was the one with the problem.
Of course I retaliated with white privilege, testosterone and being a born again prick.
My kid is either going to be really nice or a raging a-hole.
I prefer the latter, but I want him to make his own decisions...
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Time will tell <"shrug">

Beach towel or tube sock level.

It matters....
Public swimming pools and swimming holes are loaded with people around here . The sky hasn't fallen as of yet .
Kenneth
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Public swimming pools and swimming holes are loaded with people around here . The sky hasn't fallen as of yet .
Kenneth

Are your schools opening in the fall?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

?? When did that happen?

LOL

Can’t make it up.

Isn't "pretentious" when you pretend to be something you're not?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Open the fricking schools. If you dont like it then dont send your kids to school. Home schooling is always an option.

Kids homeschooled by daydrinkers. What could go wrong?
Time will tell <"shrug">
The taxpayers should stop paying full pay and benefits for what is going on now and the school shutdown would end real quick. I have a daughter and son in law that are teachers and are the parents of my two beautiful grand daughters. I love all of them far more than I love my own life but I think it's bullsht to close school for months over this virus and we all know it and they know it. But I strongly suspect they are enjoying getting full pay and not having a schedule to keep. They are somewhat teaching online but only the really motivated students are getting anything out of it is my belief.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

As long as they arent boomers, probably very little....
Originally Posted by Hastings
Time will tell <"shrug">
The taxpayers should stop paying full pay and benefits for what is going on now and the school shutdown would end real quick. I have a daughter and son in law that are teachers and are the parents of my two beautiful grand daughters. I love all of them far more than I love my own life but I think it's bullsht to close school for months over this virus and we all know it and they know it. But I strongly suspect they are enjoying getting full pay and not having a schedule to keep. They are somewhat teaching online but only the really motivated students are getting anything out of it is my belief.

Our schools are set to open in full next month. Masks will be required and no contact sports. Sanitary protocols will be set in place for regular use of hand sanitizers, etc.

School maintenance staff will use disinfectant spray at the close of each school day. Overtime has been approved.

As long as they arent boomers, probably very little....

Very little of everything.
Time will tell <"shrug">

Our schools are set to open in full next month. Masks will be required and no contact sports. Sanitary protocols will be set in place for regular use of hand sanitizers, etc.

School maintenance staff will use disinfectant spray at the close of each school day. Overtime has been approved.

lol, by who?

Brilliant strategy.

LOL

Like I said. You can’t make this schit up.
Time will tell <"shrug">

You must not be listening.

They’re working harder than ever.

LOL
Explains the masks, the no contact and "sanitary protocol", for everyone to protect the special boomers, who have given us so much...

Lots of keeled over 17 year olds, I know.

Brilliant strategy.

LOL

Governor just shut all the bars down,,,again.

Protests are still allowed, it appears .

LSU football, coming off of a National championship, doesn’t know whether to scchitt or go blind.

My answer, get over it. You're a pimp who works 5 hours a day , 6 months a year. F#@£ off
The taxpayers should stop paying full pay and benefits for what is going on now and the school shutdown would end real quick.

Agreed.

I strongly suspect they are enjoying getting full pay and not having a schedule to keep.

I was shut down at home for two months before our regularly scheduled summer break. It was nice I guess not to have to run out the door in the morning, I prob'ly put in 30 hours a week on the computer during that time as opposed to the 50-60 I would spent at school. Half the hours and probably 20% of the material covered online relative to the classroom.

They are somewhat teaching online but only the really motivated students are getting anything out of it is my belief.

Exactly true, and dependent on the subject. Things like History and Biology at the High School level are mostly read and recite, Calculus and Physics would be a different story all together..

LOL

Can’t make it up.

Isn't "pretentious" when you pretend to be something you're not?

You’re the teacher.
The taxpayers should stop paying full pay and benefits for what is going on now and the school shutdown would end real quick.

Agreed.

I strongly suspect they are enjoying getting full pay and not having a schedule to keep.

I was shut down at home for two months before our regularly scheduled summer break. It was nice I guess not to have to run out the door in the morning, I prob'ly put in 30 hour
s a week on the computer during that time as opposed to the 50-60 I would spent at school. Half the hours and probably 20% of the material covered online relative to the classroom.

They are somewhat teaching online but only the really motivated students are getting anything out of it is my belief.

Exactly true, and dependent on the subject. Things like History and Biology at the High School level are mostly read and recite, Calculus and Physics would be a different story all together..

Do you support your school reopening?

Brilliant strategy.

LOL

LSU football, coming off of a National championship, doesn’t know whether to scchitt or go blind.

Have you changed your mind on supporting all this bullschit?
Explains the masks, the no contact and "sanitary protocol", for everyone to protect the special boomers, who have given us so much...

Lots of adult-onset type two diabetics in San Antonio, its unusual to find a Hispanic family here that doesn't have diabetic family members or relatives. Dunno how many diabetic students we have, somewhere between 50 and 100 would be my WAG. So that's a consideration.

I would guess at the present time most Americans with elderly relatives are taking at least some precautions, how about yourself?

Brilliant strategy.

LOL

Have you changed your mind on supporting all this bullschit?

Life hasn’t changed much for me at all. I wear a mask where it’s required to enter, that’s about it.

I do know folks that have been deeply impacted by the virus, three of my family members.
[quote=Hastings][quote=Birdwatcher]Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

LOL

Travis I know that you sit and act like the roving peanut gallery but as a teacher I can tell you that what they propose for teachers to do is more than what many of you can fathom. We will teach the students who come to school in real life in two different cohorts( small classes that are socially distanced), teach online with both synchronous and asynchronous instruction and finally make all of our assignments and material available to students and parents who want to do alternative assignments that do not require internet access. This comes with 504s, IEPs, understanding which of the 26 genders your child decides to be for the day and go through how awful it is to be a white male of privilege. Then be a constitutionalist and fervent believer in Turner's hypothesis. My average class size is 35 students per class with five classes and one group of students who I tutor. So I have to keep it real for nearly 200 students and if I get one gender pronoun wrong its my ass. I want school to just come on back to normal where I can get students to think for themselves. But today, most teachers would rather have their high school students color the cartoon graphic novel of Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States and give them all civic trophies for voting like good little liberals. There has been four years of students walking out of school without consequences. Stuff is going to get real but I know that at least I have worked to produce many thinkers who value the past and understand the great men and women who came before us.
I want all the neverous ninnies to go DocRocket's thread and get some education from an authority.

Go to the 21:00 minute mark.

"The pandemic is not controllable. We cannot control this. We cannot contain it. The only chance we had at containing this is when it was first getting loose from the lab in Wuhan. It was not contain by the Comu...uh. the Chinese government at that time, and after that, all questions of containment have been mute."

I want everyone in America to listen and understand that. That will end all the silliness about masks and and shut downs and shelter in place and closing schools.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t/Board/21/Number/15044456/what/showflat
Originally Posted by kaboku68
[quote=Hastings][quote=Birdwatcher]Seems like the gist here is whether a teacher should be on salary or paid by the hour, and in this time of Covid whether the contract should be breached and the salary should be retroactively cut.

LOL

Travis I know that you sit and act like the roving peanut gallery but as a teacher I can tell you that what they propose for teachers to do is more than what many of you can fathom. We will teach the students who come to school in real life in two different cohorts( small classes that are socially distanced), teach online with both synchronous and asynchronous instruction and finally make all of our assignments and material available to students and parents who want to do alternative assignments that do not require internet access. This comes with 504s, IEPs, understanding which of the 26 genders your child decides to be for the day and go through how awful it is to be a white male of privilege. Then be a constitutionalist and fervent believer in Turner's hypothesis. My average class size is 35 students per class with five classes and one group of students who I tutor. So I have to keep it real for nearly 200 students and if I get one gender pronoun wrong its my ass. I want school to just come on back to normal where I can get students to think for themselves. But today, most teachers would rather have their high school students color the cartoon graphic novel of Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States and give them all civic trophies for voting like good little liberals. There has been four years of students walking out of school without consequences. Stuff is going to get real but I know that at least I have worked to produce many thinkers who value the past and understand the great men and women who came before us.

Are your schools opening this fall?

Agreed.

I was shut down at home for two months before our regularly scheduled summer break. It was nice I guess not to have to run out the door in the morning, I prob'ly put in 30 hour
s a week on the computer during that time as opposed to the 50-60 I would spent at school. Half the hours and probably 20% of the material covered online relative to the classroom.

Already said I did.

Lots of adult-onset type two diabetics in San Antonio, its unusual to find a Hispanic family here that doesn't have diabetic family members or relatives. Dunno how many diabetic students we have, somewhere between 50 and 100 would be my WAG. So that's a consideration.

I would guess at the present time most Americans with elderly relatives are taking at least some precautions, how about yourself?

Birdy,

None.

Pops has been wheelchair bound since 95.

He's ripe for the takin', as any of us are.
He's outlived 3 brothers, two younger and one older, despite living a less than sober, and full on lifestyle.

The precautions are zero. Its life, or it ain't.

There's two kinds of elderly: the money laden and the humble, the shocked and the surprised and the content....
My mom is 88, planning her next birthday skydive.

She was bombed out of her house courtesy of the Luftwaffe age eight, ain't really worried about the virus, says she doesn't expect to live forever.

OTOH my brother's elderly mother in law just died from it and his college age son is at his house self-quarantining after a positive test.

My son is type two adult-onset diabetic, I'd just as soon not be the one who visits the virus on either him or my mom.
My mom is 88, planning her next birthday skydive.

She was bombed out of her house courtesy of the Luftwaffe age eight, ain't really worried about the virus, says she doesn't expect to live forever.

OTOH my brother's elderly mother in law just died from it and his college age son is at his house self-quarantining after a positive test.

My son is type two adult-onset diabetic, I'd just as soon not be the one who visits the virus on either him or my mom.

Aint up to you, never has been....unless of course you cotton yourself as the Luftwaffe.

I wasnt supposed to live outside an icubator, but eventually I ceased to be a science project and my parents took me home...

Live life and let the good lord sweat the details.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? How does it relate?

LOL

Are your schools opening this fall?

Yes. and I hope the liberals say that they feel endangered so that they can stay home.
Yes. and I hope the liberals say that they feel endangered so that they can stay home.

Open the schools. If somebody is scared of a virus let them quit school or find some alternative. Goes for teachers, students , lunch ladies, whatever. Pay, class credits and benefits cease if you don't come. Start a hiring campaign. Ask for volunteers.
Started teaching in 1956 and started my first public school job in 1960 - taught strong and deep for many years - knew a ton of students and quite a number of teachers. None of that makes me an expert, but it does tend to have cultivated insights and some wisdom in the general area of teaching and teachers. As a citizen, I am not stating an opinion on whether or not schools should open, when and how.

As a teacher, my request is get me back into the classroom on time, full time with a full load of students - enable me to do something I do well for them, and enable them to do what they need to do - learn and learn to learn. Is this bravado? No! It is common sense and a drive to do what is correct.

Many people, including a lot of "teachers" are showing significant ignorance or selfishness - or some of both. This particular virus is not going to diminish or go away because of anything we do or do not do about opening the schools. This thing is going to run its cycle. and it is going to cause some more folks to die - and we cannot control or manage those overall effects. I do think that we can do a much better job of controlling the degree of illness in individual people once the illness is detected in them. That has nothing to do with masks, washing hands, opening schools or bars or stadiums. As more folks contract the virus. the overall effects will diminish - as with all such viruses.

Yes - continued deaths - but evidence is starting to show that it will kill about one half of 1 percent of the people who contract it, while heart disease will kill 4 times as many in the same time period, and about the same for cancer, and accidents will kill about 10 times as many.

I'm not much interested in hiring the teacher who writes long paragraphs about why she/he does not want the schools to open and does not want to be there. Such a person should resign - give up the contractual arrangement - get another job. Never were we teachers given or guaranteed a position with pay and benefits if, in turn, we did not perform accordingly.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Started teaching in 1956 and started my first public school job in 1960 - taught strong and deep for many years - knew a ton of students and quite a number of teachers. None of that makes me an expert, but it does tend to have cultivated insights and some wisdom in the general area of teaching and teachers. As a citizen, I am not stating an opinion on whether or not schools should open, when and how.

As a teacher, my request is get me back into the classroom on time, full time with a full load of students - enable me to do something I do well for them, and enable them to do what they need to do - learn and learn to learn. Is this bravado? No! It is common sense and a drive to do what is correct.

Many people, including a lot of "teachers" are showing significant ignorance or selfishness - or some of both. This particular virus is not going to diminish or go away because of anything we do or do not do about opening the schools. This thing is going to run its cycle. and it is going to cause some more folks to die - and we cannot control or manage those overall effects. I do think that we can do a much better job of controlling the degree of illness in individual people once the illness is detected in them. That has nothing to do with masks, washing hands, opening schools or bars or stadiums. As more folks contract the virus. the overall effects will diminish - as with all such viruses.

Yes - continued deaths - but evidence is starting to show that it will kill about one half of 1 percent of the people who contract it, while heart disease will kill 4 times as many in the same time period, and about the same for cancer, and accidents will kill about 10 times as many.

I'm not much interested in hiring the teacher who writes long paragraphs about why she/he does not want the schools to open and does not want to be there. Such a person should resign - give up the contractual arrangement - get another job. Never were we teachers given or guaranteed a position with pay and benefits if, in turn, we did not perform accordingly.

Good post quadruple C.

Agreed.

Already said I did.

You also said your school wasn’t closed.

Which makes you FOS.

As always.

Open the schools. If somebody is scared of a virus let them quit school or find some alternative. Goes for teachers, students , lunch ladies, whatever. Pay, class credits and benefits cease if you don't come. Start a hiring campaign. Ask for volunteers.

Here here.
Having observed the current product of the modern education system over the last few months, I vote we leave the schools closed. For the children.

Agreed.
[You also said your school wasn’t closed.

I did? Where?
25,000 cases of rona in Louisiana for persons 0-29 years of age. (of course this doesn't take into account the numbers that had it but were not tested).

14 deaths. (of course all from rona.....rolls eyes)

The numbers for the 0-18 age bracket, which is all schools, is 3 deaths.

So why not open up?

Clyde
Originally Posted by BLG
25,000 cases of rona in Louisiana for persons 0-29 years of age. (of course this doesn't take into account the numbers that had it but were not tested).

So why not open up?

Clyde

They (public) are depending on the Parish. I’ve yet to hear of any private or parochial schools that aren’t opening.

Charter schools??? Haven’t heard anything about them.

I did? Where?

“Closing” the schools ain’t being discussed AFAIK, at the very least we’ll be back to online.

I expect I’ll be required to be in my classroom “x” number of hours, I have always way exceeded that anyway.

The State Government in Austin will decide what constitutes meeting our obligation to the taxpayer, as their employee I will start from there.
That decision should be up to the school board as influenced by attending citizens. Teachers are employees, not CEO's
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

They (public) are depending on the Parish. I’ve yet to hear of any private or parochial schools that aren’t opening.

My son goes to private, but in orleans parish. Not sure how all of this is going to work.

On a side note, K-Paul's Resturant just announced they are closing for good. Go LaToya the Destroya.

Clyde
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

My son goes to private, but in orleans parish. Not sure how all of this is going to work.

On a side note, K-Paul's Resturant just announced they are closing for good. Go LaToya the Destroya.

Clyde

Hate to hear that about K-Paul’s. Drago’s is still rocking along with waiting lines most often at their Baton Rouge location.

LaToya is a sho nuff piece of work. Same as the Baton Rouge Mayor. Driving things into the ground.
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

Law suits. I believe this is the real underlying issue - scared of being sued.
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by BLG

So why not open up?

Clyde

Pffffftttt.

Good luck with that.

Seems inevitable across all types of educational institutions, public or public private.
Interesting to read what other folks think of teachers and what they do. I can only speak for the school my kids go to and a different school system in an adjoining state that my wife is a speech pathologist for. This is a conservative rural area. Most of the teachers are pretty representative of the community.

My wife worked from the time they stopped school until the end of the school year non-stop. Continual online meetings with kids over Zoom doing their speech therapy. Was a tough deal the first week setting up schedules and technology. There were some that didn't show for meetings but she was working continually. Many of the meetings were after hours as parents needed to be there to get the young kids set up. Billing, planning, reporting, were all the same. In the end school not meeting was A LOT more work for her....all it saved was a drive in and back and it cost a lot more time than that took each day to do everything else.

For my kids which range from grade school, to middle school, to high school in a local school (same school k through 12) they had weekly assignments posted that they were required to submit for each class. The assignments were "required" and were graded....but I can't say exactly how the grades were used. All of my kids said it wasn't as much as they would have done during school. Each of them had multiple online sessions each week that they attended. The online sessions weren't required since some students didn't have the technology they might need....rural area with a wide array of income levels. I can say teachers were posting work/lectures, grading work, and having online sessions. I know a lot of the teachers and all of them I know said they would have preferred being in school and that doing what they did took more time/effort than teaching in class. I know they were instructed that lack of work from students or poor scores after the last in-school day should NOT affect the kids grades.....so I can't say exactly how they used the grading other than for feedback to the kids.

I read a lot here about how sorry teachers and schools are. I know there a couple of teacher's that need to "hit the road" where my kids attend but those teachers stick out for a reason.....the majority are solid and work hard to educate kids. I guess I'm fortunate where I live. I KNOW the teachers here and my wife want to go back to school....if nothing else to make sure football season happens...grin.... There's legitimate concern about how things are going to be handled when they go back, most are concerned but most want to go back.
Pardon me for not reading the entire thread, and I'm not a teacher, but administration at my job doesn't ask any of the employees their opinion on day to day operations.
Originally Posted by overmax
Pardon me for not reading the entire thread, and I'm not a teacher, but administration at my job doesn't ask any of the employees their opinion on day to day operations.

Union?
No sir.
Originally Posted by overmax
No sir.

Reason I asked is that the NEA swings a big stick,,,evidently.
Ive seen several doctors on the news say everyone at high risk of death from Covid 19 should just be put on Hydrochloriquine now , before they contract the virus, and put everyone back to work and school. One doctor even said it should be sold over the counter like in other countries because it is no more dangerous than Tylenol. Seems like common sense to do this to get the schools back open and the country back to full economic growth until a vaccine or full cure can be discovered...

I can understand educators being scared of the risk to themselves and their families and friends. It seems like there are solutions out their for now to do things safer and get the virus under control, but there are morons out there not allowing it to happen just because Trump supported Hydrochloroqhin or whatever reason.

Seems inevitable across all types of educational institutions, public or public private.

More bullschit.
Interesting to read what other folks think of teachers and what they do. I can only speak for the school my kids go to and a different school system in an adjoining state that my wife is a speech pathologist for. This is a conservative rural area. Most of the teachers are pretty representative of the community.

My wife worked from the time they stopped school until the end of the school year non-stop. Continual online meetings with kids over Zoom doing their speech therapy. Was a tough deal the first week setting up schedules and technology. There were some that didn't show for meetings but she was working continually. Many of the meetings were after hours as parents needed to be there to get the young kids set up. Billing, planning, reporting, were all the same. In the end school not meeting was A LOT more work for her....all it saved was a drive in and back and it cost a lot more time than that took each day to do everything else.

For my kids which range from grade school, to middle school, to high school in a local school (same school k through 12) they had weekly assignments posted that they were required to submit for each class. The assignments were "required" and were graded....but I can't say exactly how the grades were used. All of my kids said it wasn't as much as they would have done during school. Each of them had multiple online sessions each week that they attended. The online sessions weren't required since some students didn't have the technology they might need....rural area with a wide array of income levels. I can say teachers were posting work/lectures, grading work, and having online sessions. I know a lot of the teachers and all of them I know said they would have preferred being in school and that doing what they did took more time/effort than teaching in class. I know they were instructed that lack of work from students or poor scores after the last in-school day should NOT affect the kids grades.....so I can't say exactly how they used the grading other than for feedback to the kids.

I read a lot here about how sorry teachers and schools are. I know there a couple of teacher's that need to "hit the road" where my kids attend but those teachers stick out for a reason.....the majority are solid and work hard to educate kids. I guess I'm fortunate where I live. I KNOW the teachers here and my wife want to go back to school....if nothing else to make sure football season happens...grin.... There's legitimate concern about how things are going to be handled when they go back, most are concerned but most want to go back.

You’re emotionally invested in one so you’re prone to defend them.

I’ve dealt with with three different school districts in three different states for three different kids over the past 13 years.

Teachers and school staff are by and large some of the most worthless, idiotic, emotionally driven dumb fugks this country has to offer.

Obviously this is a generality and not applicable to each individual in the profession.

More bullschit.

How so? What would prevent people from suing?

You’re emotionally invested in one so you’re prone to defend them.

I’ve dealt with with three different school districts in three different states for three different kids over the past 13 years.

Teachers and school staff are by and large some of the most worthless, idiotic, emotionally driven dumb fugks this country has to offer.

Obviously this is a generality and not applicable to each individual in the profession.

True, I know a lot of them so I'm invested. I see several that are idiots....but when I look around at society in general I'm very happy with the teachers in our local school....nah, thinking about it in that sense, I'm overjoyed with them.

True, I know a lot of them so I'm invested. I see several that are idiots....but when I look around at society in general I'm very happy with the teachers in our local school....nah, thinking about it in that sense, I'm overjoyed with them.

Consider yourself blessed.

Put your thinking cap on and figure it out, dumb schit.

I did? Where?

“Closing” the schools ain’t being discussed AFAIK, at the very least we’ll be back to online.

I expect I’ll be required to be in my classroom “x” number of hours, I have always way exceeded that anyway.

The State Government in Austin will decide what constitutes meeting our obligation to the taxpayer, as their employee I will start from there.

Birdfugker,

You gonna acknowledge how fugking stupid you are?

Or just keep spinning in circles with your thumb buried up your ass?

I did? Where?

Birdfugker,

You gonna acknowledge how fugking stupid you are?

Hmm... so me saying that closing the school for this upcoming school year hasn't been discussed is the same as me claiming that my school weren't closed after Spring Break of this year, which I plainly stated on this site any number of times?

Put your thinking cap on and figure it out, dumb schit.

I have learned this means you don't have an answer.

Hmm... so me saying that closing the school for this upcoming school year hasn't been discussed is the same as me claiming that my school weren't closed after Spring Break of this year, which I plainly stated on this site any number of times?

Keep talking out both sides of your ass.

You only affirm what most people already know about teachers.

I have learned this means you don't have an answer.

Sure thing, dumb schit.

Teachers and school staff are by and large some of the most worthless, idiotic, emotionally driven dumb fugks this country has to offer..

How did your kids turn out? Pretty good anyway I would guess, usually do if they have actual parents upon whom most of the responsibility resides.

How did your kids turn out?

They won't be joining the Peace Corps.

Keep talking out both sides of your ass.

You only affirm what most people already know about teachers.

"Sigh"... for me to state my school was not closed as per every other school in the State of Texas was as you claim I did would be a patent absurdity, indeed you yourself strove to insult me over it any number of times. This is why you cannot show me where I stated that, so you dissemble.

Again, this is what you do when you don't have an argument.

As for the upcoming school year, as I previously stated AFAIK closing the schools down again this coming August has not been discussed.
Let's hope you aren't teaching English.

LOL.

Might be a smart decision, the World and indeed the Peace Corps prob'ly ain't the same as they were forty years ago.

But I'd guess a College Grad currently working at Starbucks could do worse than spend a couple of years being fed and clothed free of charge while teaching English in Eastern Europe or Central Asia...

https://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/volunteer-openings/english-education-volunteer-6380br/

Might be a smart decision, the World and indeed the Peace Corps prob'ly ain't the same as they were forty years ago.

But I'd guess a College Grad currently working at Starbucks could do worse than spend a couple of years being fed and clothed free of charge while teaching English in Eastern Europe or Central Asia...

https://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/volunteer-openings/english-education-volunteer-6380br/

That post makes as much sense as the rest of your babbling bullschit.
Let's hope you aren't teaching English.

LOL.

Lets hope you ain't teaching ethics there Mr. Cut and Paste.... the full quote went....

.But back to your original statement, where did I state my school was not closed?
Children (and adults) have a natural ability to learn. Schools were never required for learning. Teachers were never required. Humans are eons old, and did fine for eons before there were public schools. But just like everything else, people have been brainwashed to think that schools not only serve a valuable function, but are for some reason actually required for people to learn things, which invariably runs contrary to their own personal experience. The cognitive dissonance in this culture reached critical mass decades ago.

What does it matter what the government says, or what some paid minion of the government (public school teacher) says? Are any of these people invested in your life, or your well-being? NO. Stop pretending otherwise.

.But back to your original statement, where did I state my school was not closed?

Like I said, I hope you don't teach English.

That post makes as much sense as the rest of your babbling bullschit.

It might if you think gaining a working familiarity with Eastern European languages and customs as well as living around some incredibly hot young women has no advantages over two years pouring coffee at Starbucks.

Like I said, I hope you don't teach English.

Dissembling again, but you enjoy this.

It might if you think gaining a working familiarity with Eastern European languages and customs as well as living around some incredibly hot young women has no advantages over two years pouring coffee at Starbucks.

You really shoot for the stars.

LOL

LOL

I might, I could go do that in my 70's maybe, if I'm still around.

Dissembling again, but you enjoy this.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

LOL

I might, I could go do that in my 70's maybe, if I'm still around.

Gonna need one helluva bicycle.

Bullcrap. My wife's a special ed para and isn't the least bit thrilled about going back to the Petri dish that is the school she works in. She's looking for work in other fields to prevent having to go get sick.
My son is in a technical college right now (electrical/electronics) and they went back a few weeks ago. His first semester was Pass/Fail so it really sucked for him because his grades were really good but whatever. My daughter is in college and they are going back early August and will be done by Thanksgiving for the fall semester.

My Ex-wife is a public school teacher in our district. I can tell you right now that she voted for Trump and is about as conservative as I am. I'm sure she wants to get back into the classroom but I have not asked her so maybe I'm wrong. I know A LOT of teachers in my area personally and they're all conservative and Trump supporters.

I also know a woman on the local school board (she's a flaming lib but she is not the norm for our area). I texted her a while ago and asked if the kids were going back. She told me that she has not seen the health and safety plan for our district yet (which they need board approval for) but it should be ready for the meeting next week. She also said a lot of schools are doing a hybrid of two days a week in the building and three days a week online. Lastly she said that the governor may have more to say about it in the next coming weeks. So bottom line is she's a school board member and she can't say right now if the kids are going back or not.
In other words ....
I dont wanta go back to work with the little schitts right yet.
And I'm gonna milk this c19 schitt to the max cause I still get paid.
Hope they dont come up with online face time classes very soon.
Cause parents at home will see how I cant be a total goof off and then over load the kids each day with homework I shoulda covered in class to begin with.

Thats what I read between the lines.....
Our esteemed gov signed a bill stating schools could NOT be sued but still insists on draconian measures.

Clyde
© 24hourcampfire