-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wildlife like deer will go quick do to poaching. Guys who currently hunt will not be the only ones killing game. Anything edible will be exhausted quickly. It will be like the old market hunting days but everyone doing it.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RIIIIINGWOOOOOD NJ!!!!! smile smile smile smile

My family lived for a period of time just five miles away across the State Line in Sloatsburg NY (AKA "Slutsberg" on account of it was said to be easy to get laid at the skating rink, two of my cousins met their wives there smile ). Space is small in them Ramapo Mts and Ringwood is contiguous with the West Point/Harriman/TuxedoPark/Stirling Forest woodlands, actually quite a swathe of habitat just thirty miles from NYC. New Jersey's only bear fatality occurred in 2014 in nearby Milford State park when a Dot Indian Grad Student ran from and was killed by a big black bear. My cousin who is more like my brother is from Sloatsburg and used to take six or seven deer every year up the hill right in back of his house (ate them too). In high school and college I used to walk all over those mountains, but never as far south as Ringwood.

Ringwood is also part of the traditional home of the Jackson-Whites, a remnant mixed Indian/White/Black people indigenous to the Ramapos. If them fighting chickens in that old mine building ain't owned by Mexicans, then prob'ly by Jackson-Whites. Regardless, if everybody in that video got quiet, they could prob'ly hear the traffic on I 87, the NY State Thruway smile

A pretty good article on the Jackson-Whites here, which term has since apparently become racist... Mr Dennison was in trouble; a handgun in New Jersey, even worse, loaded with hollowpoints, a felony in that State crazy Later that same day, one of the NJ Park Rangers shot and killed a guy.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/03/01/strangers-on-the-mountain

Most of the Ramapo Mountain woodlands, extending from Pompton Lakes, south of Mahwah, up to West Point, on the Hudson River, are now preserved as parks, where A.T.V.s are prohibited. But Stag Hill has traditionally been left alone, and blazed hiking trails steer clear of the residences by at least a mile in any direction. Dennison brought a switchblade with him, as well as a .22-calibre handgun, which he kept in a holster on his right side. He planned to take some target practice at one of the abandoned cars nearby, or, if he got lucky, to bag a deer or a wild turkey or some smaller game. “Basically, he was doing what every American kid does: go out in the woods and shoot off a couple of rounds,” his lawyer later argued. “It’s as American as apple pie.” Not in New Jersey. Dennison, a married man in his late fifties, soon ran into three park rangers, two men and a woman, who had wandered out of their jurisdiction during an “area familiarization” patrol, conducted on A.T.V.s of their own. They stopped him, and discovered that the handgun, for which he had no license, was loaded with hollow-point bullets, sometimes known as “cop killers.”.....

.......“Mountain people” is a euphemism for what locals used to call “Jackson Whites”—a racial slur that the referents equate with the word “[bleep].” They call themselves Ramapough Mountain Indians, or the Ramapough Lenape Nation, using an old Dutch spelling for the name of the river that cuts through the Hudson and North Jersey Highlands, although suburban whites tend to think of them as racially indeterminate clansfolk. The Ramapoughs number a few thousand, marry largely among themselves, and are concentrated in three primary settlements: on and around Stag Hill, in Mahwah; in the village of Hillburn, New York, in the hollow below Stag Hill’s northern slope; and, west of Stag Hill, in Ringwood, New Jersey, in the remains of an old iron-mining complex. The settlements span two states and three counties—a circumstance with socially marginalizing consequences—but they are essentially contiguous if you travel through the woods, by foot or A.T.V....

A grand jury in Hackensack eventually indicted Chad Walder, the park ranger who shot Emil Mann, for reckless manslaughter—the first time an officer of the law had faced such a serious charge in Bergen County since 1991. “You almost feel sorry for the man,” Roger De Groat, a plaintiff in the environmental suit, told me one afternoon when I visited him in Ringwood. “I think they were scared, didn’t know how to handle the situation. You walk up to people, you have to do it right. Tell ’em, ‘You know, you can’t be here, and you have to leave.’ Don’t go up there all loud and stupid in front of somebody’s kids.” He shook his head. “I’m surprised more people didn’t get killed up there that day, boy.”

De Groat is a tall, genial, sixty-year-old man with silver hair and a prominent nose. He lives more than half a mile from the closest main road, near a concrete remnant of the hoist house from the Peters Mine, which was first dug around 1740 and eventually grew to seventeen levels, extending nearly two thousand feet below the ground.

Thanks for the video smile

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tikkanut

out the back door

need I say more ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Too many people do not think long term! If the “ship hits the sand”, game will cease to exist in months! History shows what happened to Colorado’s elk population when hunters were killing elk for profit to feed the thousands of miners.

In many places a viable population of fish and game would almost be non-existent, without game laws, and the stocking of fish......and only a small percentage of people hunt and fish. When the masses start hunting/fishing to survive.....the “Pickens” will get “slim” pretty quickly (reverse pun intended) ! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
free range chickens

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Insects for the pure protein.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wildlife will be devastated in a matter of months everywhere in TEOTWAWKI.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I'm fat enough to live on survival biomass for at least a month.

Jake, you need to be very careful, or......your neighbors may be enjoying “fat back and beans”! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Is he the one that came up with that stupid "tracker" knife?

Indeed! smile

Holy Kshizzle! Tom Brown even got to be technical advisor on a 2003 Benicio Del Toro/Tommy Lee Jones movie featuring that knife....

and you can still get that knife for only $300 and change...

https://www.topsknives.com/tom-brown-tracker-1

Like I said, I gotta give Tom Brown credit, he pulled it off and then some... in New Jersey.... smile

Proof that in America, you can be anything you want cool

For $300 or slightly more one can get a fine Fallkniven survival knife. I looked at offerings from Tops, they seem quite overpriced for what you get.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.