Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's still burning; and the injured list is growing. frown

The previous USS Bonhomme Richard was CV31, decommissioned in 1971, scrapped in 1992.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

While I don't appreciate everything Jag posts, I don't question his patriotism. Louis L'Amour would describe Jag as a man to ride the river with.

Agreed.

Well, having heard the little bit of news from my folks down there, that it was a welding incident, I didn't automatically assume it wasn't a die hard MAGA Trump 2020 supported who fell asleep while welding because he'd been watching Hannity. So why even question whether it was a "muzzie'.

Might have been a Pilipino cook in the galley making lumpia and the fryer exploded when he dropped his ever present coffee cup and splashed it into the grease.

Geno, IIRC you didn't share that you had heard it was a welding accident. You even had the wrong the wrong ship. To go off on Jag like you did was uncalled for IMO.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is this going to be a total loss of the ship?

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
It's still burning; and the injured list is growing. frown

The previous USS Bonhomme Richard was CV31, decommissioned in 1971, scrapped in 1992.

Thanks Phil,

I left SD around '91 so didn't know they had sent it to the breakers.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

While I don't appreciate everything Jag posts, I don't question his patriotism. Louis L'Amour would describe Jag as a man to ride the river with.

Agreed.

Well, having heard the little bit of news from my folks down there, that it was a welding incident, I didn't automatically assume it wasn't a die hard MAGA Trump 2020 supported who fell asleep while welding because he'd been watching Hannity. So why even question whether it was a "muzzie'.

Might have been a Pilipino cook in the galley making lumpia and the fryer exploded when he dropped his ever present coffee cup and splashed it into the grease.

Geno, IIRC you didn't share that you had heard it was a welding accident. You even had the wrong the wrong ship. To go off on Jag like you did was uncalled for IMO.

AB2506.
I do hope all is well up there.

Jag,

it's a historic USN vessel.

Is that not enough for you?

if that was "going off on Jag"

you folks up there are a lot nicer than the rumors!

I was kinda being nice. wink

Wrong ship?

Well, the Navy didn't clear it with me that they named a new vessel after I left port. crazy

I was just attempting to point out that not everything is a direct attack on our Country.

Is still think it was the Pilipino cook.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Fire was supposed to have started in the deep-v lower cargo hold (though cause isn't yet known). No munitions on board but there was 1 million gallons of fuel. Ship is 23 years old, and is expected to be a total loss!

Phil

Wow. Crazy what a careless mistake (assumption) can cause.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Agreed.

AB2506.

Jag,

Wrong ship?

Well, the Navy didn't clear it with me that they named a new vessel after I left port. crazy

I was just attempting to point out that not everything is a direct attack on our Country.

Humm. You mean accidents still happen. What a novel idea.

Well, I guess I'll have to take that consideration unner. Advice ment. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. The dude feels strongly about the things he feels strongly about.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Fire was supposed to have started in the deep-v lower cargo hold (though cause isn't yet known). No munitions on board but there was 1 million gallons of fuel. Ship is 23 years old, and is expected to be a total loss!

Phil

Hard to believe a total loss would result from a pier side fire. In that scenario, you’d typically flood the compartment or compartments affected and drown the fire. I spent career aboard ship and know the entire crew is trained in damage control. Every ship nearby will be available with a Rescue and Assistance Team. All the capabilities needed to extinguish the fire are close at hand. That the fire would progress to that level without some catastrophic explosion makes no sense.

Bobmar,

there was a reported "explosion" yesterday, don't know how catastrophic, or if it even happened as we all know the news doesn't even get it right all the time.

Name wise and ship wise, .......................................

apparently neither do I. eek

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Agreed.

AB2506.

Jag,

Wrong ship?

Humm. You mean accidents still happen. What a novel idea.

Well, I guess I'll have to take that consideration unner. Advice ment. wink

Next time, blame the guy from the PI.......................the Catholic one.........................I hear they have some Muslims there they have trouble with too. shocked

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why don't they sink it?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hope it wasnt something like lithium batteries or some other hazmat improperly stored..
Pretty messed up anyway it happened.

Feel sorry for the navy sailors and relatives right now.

Any other time this would be a big story to report on and monitor.
I been surfing channels on and off, aint seen coverage yet or I have bad timing.

Sad state of affairs in this country when something like this seems to be of no importance to the sheeple of this nation.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Will take years of cleaning before they can sink it... but it probably will eventually become part of a corral reef.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=AB2506]I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

Agreed.

AB2506.

Geno, I've been without hockey and other sports so long, I'm not sure if I care anymore. What the NBA, NFL is going to do sickens me.

As for the BHR LHD-6, I hope there was no loss of life or serious injury. Kind of hard to believe they couldn't contain the fire. Probably there will be new protocols cut for maintenance of this type to avoid further incidents. Or, they'll string up that Phillipino cook.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ok just read thru entire thread , what I get for not doing so 1st.

Drum of hazmat/ welding accident ????

what happened to risk assesment / work permit stuff
Mitigating hazards in work area.
Fire watch for welder.

Civilians doing refitt stuff.

?????

All speculation on my part.

Huge strategic and tactical projection of power loss.

Not to mention the human casualty side of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will take years of cleaning before they can sink it... but it probably will eventually become part of a corral reef.

Phil

No. Sink it now to extinguish the fire.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By catastrophic explosion, I meant one that was bad enough to blow a big enough hole in the skin of the ship, that it sank. But even then, you’re pierside. So it sinks at the dock. You patch the hull, then dewater the flooded compartments. The ship is afloat but needs repairs. Not a huge deal. Losing a ship entirely is not something anybody in the Navy wants to be a part of. That’s why I think this discussion of a total loss makes no sense, especially considering the history and the proud name.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Agreed.

Dear AB, I was not even going to mention the rong Ship Bull Chiet but now Im hearing a freak8ng Philippino cook was involved in it.

WTH is our miliitary going to?

Im betting it was a holdover from the previous traitorus muzzy administration. Sheesh. This case is getting more and more curiouser. smirk

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/13/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can only sink a ship of that size so far pierside. There isn't enough water under the keel to actually sink it. That harbor isn't 200 feet deep. Then you have to consider the impact of hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel and oil that will spill into the water, plus all the other HAZMAT on board. Sinking it pierside isn't an option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of what gets into the water can be contained. Especially fuel.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 160user, 2500HD, 21, 25 invisible), 12,326 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,233
Posts18,544,183
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.