Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tstorm1 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
I just had a bolt fluted by LRI (LongRifles, Inc) in Sturgis, SD and for the price I don't think you could get better service. I stripped the bolt and shipped it to them, couple days later I get an email letting me know it arrived and has been checked in along with a link and pin number to check the progress. Couple days later another email with a pic of the bolt stating its done and being packed for shipping. Next day notified its shipped with the tracking number. Total turn around time was 19 days, but that includes shipping to/from SC and the July 4th holiday weekend (and if they took time off for the holiday I'll respect them more!). This is the second Bergara bolt I have that LRI fluted (first one was a used gun I bought) and both are top quality work in my opinion. I'll try and get some pics up as the bolts have different shapes to the flutes.

Fluting probably doesn't make a difference performance-wise, but I think it looks nice and their excellent communication, service and quality workmanship made it a great experience!

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
I just had a bolt fluted by LRI (LongRifles, Inc) in Sturgis, SD and for the price I don't think you could get better service. I stripped the bolt and shipped it to them, couple days later I get an email letting me know it arrived and has been checked in along with a link and pin number to check the progress. Couple days later another email with a pic of the bolt stating its done and being packed for shipping. Next day notified its shipped with the tracking number. Total turn around time was 19 days, but that includes shipping to/from SC and the July 4th holiday weekend (and if they took time off for the holiday I'll respect them more!). This is the second Bergara bolt I have that LRI fluted (first one was a used gun I bought) and both are top quality work in my opinion. I'll try and get some pics up as the bolts have different shapes to the flutes.

Fluting probably doesn't make a difference performance-wise, but I think it looks nice and their excellent communication, service and quality workmanship made it a great experience!
Excellent..

Just one thing to watch for - I have heard from customers who've had a bolt fluted that they later regretted it due to the now-available openings for dirt/debris to get into the magazine and screw up the feeding.. Just a PSA, nothing more... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think it is a waste of time. Unless the rifle comes with it from the factory I would not spend a dime doing it .

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Redneck

Excellent..

Just one thing to watch for - I have heard from customers who've had a bolt fluted that they later regretted it due to the now-available openings for dirt/debris to get into the magazine and screw up the feeding.. Just a PSA, nothing more... smile

It’s funny. I’ve heard this too. Yet Wilson Combat flutes their 1911s because they say it gives dirt and debris a place to go instead of into the gun thus messing up the feeding...??

Does anyone really know lol?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have some that are fluted and more that are not. I do like the looks of the flutes but it is purely aesthetics
Thanks for the heads up about a company that does good work and keeps the customer in the loop

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ky221

Excellent..

It’s funny. I’ve heard this too. Yet Wilson Combat flutes their 1911s because they say it gives dirt and debris a place to go instead of into the gun thus messing up the feeding...??

Dirt and Debris will find their way into the action. The fluting will make it easier. When they first came out they were supposed to lighten a bolt and then they were supposed to make it smoother. If the Bolt were properly machined in the first place it would no need fluting. Look at the smoothness of a Tikka action for example. I have a Fieldcraft which is smoother then the Tikka but that is because it is probably better machined and coated in NP3 rather then its very shallow fluting.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Weatherbys have had fluted bolts for 70+ years!!! JM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Weatherby are straight which don’t allow debris to angle down into the mag well.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Accuracy International knows a thing or two about rifle reliability in harsh conditions. They have flutes in specific locations to reduce the chance of the bolt locking up due to the formation of ice between the bolt body and rear bridge as well as "sand cuts" to give debris a place to go. I'd like to see a photo or two of the bolt mentioned by the OP. I've bought a number of bolts from PT&G over the years, some with straight flutes, some with spiral flutes. The bolts were for Remington 700s that I used for F-Class and were oversized at .700" which made them feel a lot smoother. The flutes looked nice but I couldn't say if they improved the function. The .700" O.D. along with a Sako style extractor were a definite upgrade though.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow and none of the flutes are spiral. How would have thought ?

Tstorm1 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like the look, that's the only reason I had it done. I clean my rifles after use so if it takes an extra minute to look in specific areas that doesn't bother me. If I were worried about dirt, dust and everything else getting in them I'd have bought a different rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Here's my Rem 700 .308 with a fluted bolt. As for allowing dirt into the action and screwing up feeding......that's frogshit!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A modification I've never been interested in, don't find it appealing at all. I have one now on a Shilen DGR and don't mind it, though I'd prefer without. The way Rem 700s were jeweled is the look I prefer, or just matte... Those straight flute don't look bad, but the spirals just look funky to me.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I love the looks of a spiral fluted bolt. No idea about the performance aspects.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I sent my bolt in to get fluted when someone on snipershide was running a special for $25. Had it back within two weeks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ky221

Excellent..

I can only state what I've heard from some who've had it done and later regretted it.. I have no fluted bolts myself. I should have specified that the guys who told me their woes had the spiral flutes - not the straight ones like Wby etc... I've never heard of problems with those..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The spiral fluted bolts look ok to me, but the spiral fluted barrels like the ones from ER Shaw are buttugly. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WAM
The spiral fluted bolts look ok to me, but the spiral fluted barrels like the ones from ER Shaw are buttugly. Happy Trails

Yep on the barrels. The spirals belong inside 'em.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I also had one of my Rem 700 bolts fluted by LRI and like some has stated, I do regret it. It looks great but now the bolt doesn't function no where near as smoothly. It grabs as you cycle the bolt back and forth. I wouldn't do it again.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.