Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I work for a major global company, not really interested in saying which one

They just announced that where possible they are permanently implementing a 2 day office work week and you work from home the rest of the time

I was planning on moving out to the country in 10 years or so, that may have just been moved up to 2 years. Its an exciting change for me

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Congratulations.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats man that’s great.

I really wonder what this change which was inevitable but accelerated by our experience with COVID19 Portends for commercial real estate prices.

Gonna be interesting to see what “the new normal” does for economies. A lot of people gonna be moving away from population centers and taking their tax revenue with em...

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yea, I'm hoping to get ahead of the curve a bit. I stumbled on a quiet little county where things haven't changed alot since 1950. Big chunks of land for sale that is affordable (big meaning 3-7 acres)

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck with it, save the time I spent in collage, and the army, I've always lived in the sticks.

Just don't get caught on the street when they roll it up at 9. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The last few years that I was working I converted to a "consulting employee" and changed to working from home. It was great. I also didn't have fixed hours, as long as I got stuff done on time and billed my hours correctly they didn't care which hours of the day of week they were. It will spoil you for ever going back to a traditional fixed hours office setting.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good luck with it, save the time I spent in collage, and the army, I've always lived in the sticks.

Just don't get caught on the street when they roll it up at 9. laugh

streets? like paved?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My wife has worked from home for years. You’ll soon see more and more of this.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
The last few years that I was working I converted to a "consulting employee" and changed to working from home. It was great. I also didn't have fixed hours, as long as I got stuff done on time and billed my hours correctly they didn't care which hours of the day of week they were. It will spoil you for ever going back to a traditional fixed hours office setting.

I think that was a part of it - we actually exceeded our projections for revenue which during a pandemic is crazy. Our margins were high because there was no travel expense or having to maintain a working office space, so it was only natural that some bean counter stepped up and said - lets make this permanent

It will be a culture change for me - I like having expertise at arms length in an office environment, and now I have to be proactive to networking and contacting people which is new to me.

I know this - I haven't worn khaki pants or a collared shirt since March, and I sleep an hour later

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I think that was a part of it - we actually exceeded our projections for revenue which during a pandemic is crazy. Our margins were high because there was no travel expense or having to maintain a working office space, so it was only natural that some bean counter stepped up and said - lets make this permanent

It will be a culture change for me - I like having expertise at arms length in an office environment, and now I have to be proactive to networking and contacting people which is new to me.

I know this - I haven't worn khaki pants or a collared shirt since March, and I sleep an hour later

Yup - roll out of bed, turn on the computer, check email and phone messages, then maybe work awhile before morning s/s/s and getting dressed. Or wait till lunchtime. Spent a lot of days in sweatpants or shorts and a t-shirt. .

The last company I worked with went completely home based 10 yrs ago - no central office, everyone worked from home except some folks we had on-site with a customer. We did have to travel since a lot of our work involved on-site planning sessions/workshops, but that got you out of the house for a change.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go ahead and retire if you can , Im retired and stay so busy I don't know how I had time to work .

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wifeys Company talking about doing the same. Be nice for her. I may never retire now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just make sure your new place has good internet availability and isn't prone to power failures.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well that's a flaw in the slaw. They have to pipe in sunlight.

I'm hoping by the time I get out there and settled that 5G is prevalent and competitive.

Otherwise I'm outta luck

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
I work for a major global company, not really interested in saying which one

They just announced that where possible they are permanently implementing a 2 day office work week and you work from home the rest of the time

I was planning on moving out to the country in 10 years or so, that may have just been moved up to 2 years. Its an exciting change for me

Sounds like a winning plan, good for you!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I work in facilities maintenance in a multi tenant high rise office building. I’ve got about 10 years to retirement and I have no intention of going down with this ship! I am looking at making a move to a hospital.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is two consecutive days it's almost like 29% travel.
Work an apartment share deal with someone there two different days.
Save your commute one night and gamble on real estate value ..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
interesting idea, I bet in 2 years I could swing to work from home 80% of the time with only having to come into the office 2 days a week in the summer.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/14/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.