Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
Lot of good reasons and ways - depending on one's needs. One of mine is a 72 Chev one ton - originally our motorhome and now a strong flat bed with gooseneck setup and a sleeper behind the cab. A bit unique.

pics?

I will agree that newer pickups are too dang tall and bloated. I am no small man and I have difficulties with the newer trucks.

best factory bed utility was the gm/chevy c-10 squarebody. K-series and fords next. My nissan midsize has nearly the size of the old half-ton full sized pickups, but without some of the utility. could not afford a new full size back when I bought it, though.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had an old 3500 Dodge bed leftover once. Poor condition.

I listed it at a fairly ridiculous price on Craigslist. I honestly don't remember how much but maybe something stupid like $1,000.

A buyer from New York or somewhere salty drove nearly 500 miles to come get it and didn't even blink at the price.

The only reason I say this is that your take off bed may be worth more than you think.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're a contractor, a flat bed makes a huge amount of sense. You can load and unload from the side or back with a fork lift and be done and out of the supply house in short order. If you need to enclose your load it is pretty simple to build/buy side rails that drop in and lock down in a few seconds.... and you don't have to worry about some dumbass on the jobsite damaging your pickup bed by backing into it or having rocks or debris thrown up around it....

I've also seen lots of guys with dog carriers on their flatbeds, which makes a lot of sense. Easy to let them loose and recover them when necessary...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Redneck
I have a Dodge 3500 converted to a dump truck with removable rails.

It can haul six thousand pounds
of gravel, sand, mulch or Miracle Whip salad dressing.

Legally???

Yes
Interesting.. What's the truck's GVW, rear axle rating from the door tag and year? Not doubting, honestly, just curious..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Son in Law has a '15 Ram 3500 crew cab. Well drilling crews had smashed the bed to hell over the last five years. The quality flat bed was about 1/4 the cost of a factory replacement bed. He does miss the back up camera.

I do not know if this is still true today. At one time dealers offered substantial discounts on cab/chassis units. It was cheaper to buy the truck with bare frame rails, then add a flatbed.

Flatbeds come with stake pockets, just so a guy can add rails to keep schitt from falling off and onto the road. Just saying.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Legally???

Yes
Interesting.. What's the truck's GVW, rear axle rating from the door tag and year? Not doubting, honestly, just curious..

I have seen some placarded as 12,000 gvw.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Legally???

Yes

Check the payloads out here. Less the weight of a flat bed, 6,000 looks easy. I was doubtful too.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Legally???

Yes

I have seen some placarded as 12,000 gvw.
Mine's 14,000#, but the door tag indicates only a bit over 4800# is max.. (F-450 CC DRW)

Originally Posted by smarquez

Legally???

Yes

Check the payloads out here. Less the weight of a flat bed, 6,000 looks easy. I was doubtful too.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
Well, yeah, but that depends on the year of the truck.. Much older than about 4-5 years and the payload does down - a lot.. Same with the rest of 'em too.. And his truck has a dump box on it also.. Have to add that in..

There's an RV couple on YouTube that I watch on occasion.. He was towing a triple-axle Momentum 5th wheel with an '06 Chev 3500 DRW... The math was done by another RV couple and that truck was way overloaded - even with that pin weight of only #3500...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the Bongo truck beds in Iraq were a great idea. All 3 exposed sides dropped down and locked in either the up or down position. Best of both worlds.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Legally???

Yes

I will chase your answer to the best of my ability here in the next few days.

The truck was born in 1998. At some point in time a good friend of mine converted her into a dump truck. Custom built. Massively rebuilt the frame cross members and so forth. Used a hydraulic cylinder off of a grain truck. He put her in service as a privately registered (not for hire) vehicle and legally hauled materials for himself for over a decade.

Thousands of tons. I have used her in a similar manner.

I have had #6,100 in her without the slightest worry. Dual air bags, rated axle , rated tires etc.

No Quarry has ever refused to fill her and the quarries in Virginia are very particular about legal matters.

Because she's private neither of us have ever experienced any VDOT challenges. I am not sure if her GVRW was formally increased.

This may not be a satisfactory answer for you and I fully understand. I have never sought out legal definitions on this particular truck.

After he sold me the truck , he had a similar situation on a dump trailer. VDOT rating was lower than the placard or something. It was becoming a real can of worms for him. Eventually Virginia State Police advised him that the limits did not apply because the trailer was for private use and not used commercially. I think I have this story straight. If it sounds funny to you I will give you a phone number and we can discuss it further and include the owner of the trailer as to exactly what transpired. It is not my intention to misrepresent anything.

I do believe the rating applies two commercial vehicles for hire. That is why I responded Yes legally previously.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Mine will be getting a flat bed next year.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Texans have to haul a load of bullschit everywhere they go so I’m sure it’s more of a priority down that way.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here, they sell a lot of trailers with 12k-14k ratings.
Despite the fact that any trailerover 10k is cdl.
Requiring a combination license on the pulled.

Occasionally the bears, often Maryland, seriously just someone's ads for it.
More often, it slides.

But if a log truck had a "shaky" chain, it would be ticket time.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Around here, they sell a lot of trailers with 12k-14k ratings.
Despite the fact that any trailerover 10k is cdl.

Here, those are medium duty trailers.

My big gooseneck is 22k.

No CDL required.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our vet patches up or puts down lots of dogs that fall off flat beds at high speed.

I like the idea of a flatbed but the tailgate on my Dodge is 35" high. Add another 9 or 10" to get the bed above the wheels and it's too high for my old carcass to load and unload anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In Kentucky it means somebody bought a used truck with a rotted out, rusty bed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by CCCC
Lot of good reasons and ways - depending on one's needs. One of mine is a 72 Chev one ton - originally our motorhome and now a strong flat bed with gooseneck setup and a sleeper behind the cab. A bit unique.

pics?
I gladly would try to post a pic or two - can someone here kindly state, in simple shortcut, how a guy can post pics here?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been common around here since the 70's. If it is a working PICKUP it has a flatbed. Never have seen a truck with a pickup box on it except for I think ford builds a 450 with a pickup box on it.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got this one setup.

Ain't gonna work, talk about weak rear springs.

I figured an F350 was an F350 and could actually haul chit but this is a tinker toy compared to the springs under our dually.
(might need to start a suspension question thread rather than hijack)

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/14/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam O,

Does that thing have 6000 or 3500 pound rear spring leaves?

I put 3500 pounders on "my" company truck because we use it to plow more than haul. We've got another 350 and because it carries giant tool boxes, we installed fresh new 6000 pounders. Oh, man that thing rides STIFF. But loaded up, it is at least level and the weight smoothed the ride.

As for flatbeds, they work if you have to haul and unload/load multiple times, multiple items, and quickly rather than jumping up into the box and lifting everything under the sun three times.l

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.