Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bobmar
By catastrophic explosion, I meant one that was bad enough to blow a big enough hole in the skin of the ship, that it sank. But even then, you’re pierside. So it sinks at the dock. You patch the hull, then dewater the flooded compartments. The ship is afloat but needs repairs. Not a huge deal. Losing a ship entirely is not something anybody in the Navy wants to be a part of. That’s why I think this discussion of a total loss makes no sense, especially considering the history and the proud name.

Received a text from relative down there able to get more news than renegade.

Text said:

Rear Admiral Phillip Stobeck says it's likely to be salvageable even though SD Fire Chief says it will burn to the waterline. The fuel is well below the waterline and they are still trying to find out why it began. Likely to burn for days they say.

Maybe Jag is right, maybe it was Muzzies.

I'm only able to get national news regularly, or the local SD stations online. So I just go by what the relatives down south can tell me, seeing as how they have an ear closer to it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/bonhomme-richard-fire-injuries

"There was initially some confusion due to a loud explosion that rang out across the bay shortly after the fire began, but Sobeck said it was likely due to a backdraft from over-pressurization as the ship compartments heated up."

"At the time, the admiral said that the blaze was a Class A fire, meaning there were no toxic materials burning. Instead, it was an “ashy” fire, fueled by “normal things you’d find in a compartment” such as office equipment and clothing, he said."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/13/uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-suppression-system-was-i/

" A fire suppression system was inoperable when a blaze erupted aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego, so sailors fought the blaze with water, a top Navy official said Monday.

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck said the Halon gas system had been turned off because it was being worked on while the amphibious assault ship was undergoing maintenance work.

The fire erupted Sunday morning and continues to burn. It broke out in a lower cargo area where cardboard and drywall supplies were stored and firefighters initially fought it with water until they had to withdraw, Sobeck said. Halon is a liquefied compressed gas that disrupts the chemical process of a fire"

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Rufus

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info Valsdad. Interesting comment by the Fire Chief. I guess he thinks it has a fiberglass hull... This is the kind of situation where the marine salvage guys make their money. Especially the divers.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, this is the last update as of 2 hours ago, read it all. Towards the bottom it describes how the fire is burning with internal temperatures of over 1,000 degrees, Basically destroying the integrity of the steel from bow to stern,

Link

even states how the superstructure has collapsed.

Phil

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The WASP was laid down 35 years ago.

Time for an update. Trump will get the designers and dock yards cranked up and kick of a dozen of a new variant. Might have to build a few more F-35's and hire a few more Marines, buy hey, we have a few extra unemployed people at the moment.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Why don't they sink it?

This thread?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Why don't they sink it?

This thread?

Sure Boomer.

there are folks pickin' on me anyway.

Waaahh.

In it is contentment

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm not sure why some like Mac and Geno are so upset with Jag asking how many Muzzie Democraps were on board. He was not wishing the boat to burn to kill MD, but if one of them may have started the fire. Given the state of the world and America, one could also wonder if it was a Chicom, a BLM, a Trump hater. Until one knows what started the fire, I think anything may be questioned.

While I don't appreciate everything Jag posts, I don't question his patriotism. Louis L'Amour would describe Jag as a man to ride the river with.

I never questioned his patriotism. I called him a pussy. He can be the most patriotic, flag waving, red, white and blue wearing pussy in the land. My point is he has no basis for accusing anyone of starting the fire while it is still burning. The damn thing is still burning as I type this!

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Alan_C, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 18 invisible), 14,811 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.