Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few points:
A typical Presto canner in the 15"x15"x15" size has nearly 1,000 square inches of surface area. At 10-15 psi there is tremendous potential inside. Having seen the results... Another common mistake is trying to speed cooling with snow or ice, don't.

There is a chemical reaction involved in browning meat. It has to be hot, much hotter than boiling. That requires a relatively dry frying pan and lots of small batches. Crowd the pan and you end up with boiled meat. That adds nothing. Giving anyone unable to taste difference the benefit of the doubt they likely did not truly sear the meat. Browning bulk ground meat is slower, requires care to keep the liquid level down in the pan, and the extra surface area takes more messing around.

The head (extra space) in the jar is what builds vacuum and seals the jar. Cans do not require head because they are mechanically sealed before cooking.

I canned several bears this spring in retort bags. For meat there is no comparison between jars and retort bags.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have one of my 95 year old mother's here at the house. National from I think Wisconsin. She has another with her. Spent last week with her and we canned 33 quarts of homemade vegetable soup. Does not get better than that!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/14/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If anyone has tested properly browned meat against raw after canning and cannot taste the difference they should just go to buying Alpo...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kennymauser
flave, would you can Iquana? That I know I wouldn't do.

Just the heads.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

If anyone has tested properly browned meat against raw after canning and cannot taste the difference they should just go to buying Alpo...

I’d love to see the dumb asses that say this take the Pepsi challenge.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kennymauser
I have been pressure canning elk for several years, and I found that browning isn't necessary, but it still works just fine. I don't brown it anymore, and I notice no difference in flavor. I bought my new canner off the internet (Presto I think) and at first it scared the crap out of me, but after a few times it is very easy.
I think the LEM catalog has the kind I have, but I found it cheaper but cant remember where.
I just remembered I have some elk roasts and steaks left over from last year!!

PS after re-reading this topic above, I have never canned ground meat, but I think I would brown it myself. I am sure it would work both ways.

flave, would you can Iquana? That I know I wouldn't do.

Not deflave,

but if I was to try it with iguana............it would be barbequed.....................from Tiajuana

Honestly, y'all been giving me ideas on how to spend more money. Don't need that, maybe I should stop reading.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I’d love to see the dumb asses that say this take the Pepsi challenge.

Guessing Alpo should be on your shopping list henceforth and forever...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The prime rib that I cook to a perfect Medium-Rare temperature in a Sous Vide water bath gets browned with a Propane weed burner after the proper internal temperature is achieved. It's a nasty-looking gray color before I hit it with the weed burner for about 15 seconds.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I’m sure that living in an Indian village develops the most discerning of palettes.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The prime rib that I cook to a perfect Medium-Rare temperature in a Sous Vide water bath gets browned with a Propane weed burner after the proper internal temperature is achieved. It's a nasty-looking gray color before I hit it with the weed burner for about 15 seconds.

Thats literally gayer than aids.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Agreed. Sous Vide is for virulent homosexuals on a coke and cock bender.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

I’m sure that living in an Indian village develops the most discerning of palettes.

Having spent quite a bit of time in various Indian villages I can understand the concept, but still taste the difference...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Really?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't needs no sous vide bs. I don't needs no sous vide bs. I don't needs no sous vide bs. I don't needs no sous vide bs. I dont need no sous vide bs.

So, I just need a chamber sealer?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Having spent quite a bit of time in various Indian villages I can understand the concept, but still taste the difference...

Well, I doubt I'll ever meet you but I have known two other crusty old bastards that claimed the same.

They both got proven wrong.

To each their own of course. I only post this info for those that are new to canning.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
To guys who eat road kill armadillo and call it possum on the half shell, properly cooked meat is probably as foreign a concept as screwing somebody other than their 12 year old sisters.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
The ole PrestoMatic 23 quart-o canner has not shipped yet.

Kinda wondering if I just spent 100 bucks to reserves the next one that comes in............about December time.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt of course.....I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions.......especially here.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
To guys who eat road kill armadillo and call it possum on the half shell, properly cooked meat is probably as foreign a concept as screwing somebody other than their 12 year old sisters.

You need to change your handle.

You've already been deemed a dumb fugk.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The ole PrestoMatic 23 quart-o canner has not shipped yet.

Kinda wondering if I just spent 100 bucks to reserves the next one that comes in............about December time.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt of course.....I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions.......especially here.

I thought maybe you might do the order over the phone.

LOL

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.