Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I loved granulate Talon Grips on a G19 for about 3 years, until the adhesive started failing at a few spots. I'm considering having the grips stippled now, but wonder if any stippling job can match the aggressiveness of 80 grit sandpaper?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you loved the Talon grips, then $20 once every 3 years doesn't seem so bad.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have guns with both kinds of Talon grips, and one with stippling. The stippled gun is a really ugly (and aggressive) "homemade" job I picked up on the cheap. I would say this particular stippled gun is grippier at least on the front of the grip than either talon grip, but pretty close to the sandpaper Talon the rest of the way around. There's quite a range of stippling available out there, and grips are a pretty personal thing. Best thing would be to visit some shops and handle their wares to see how it compares to the surface you like.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Something else to think about, on stippling vs. Talon-

If you ever decide to sell your handgun, the Talon stuff can be easily removed. Stippling cannot, at least not easily, to look like factory original.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by RyanTX
If you loved the Talon grips, then $20 once every 3 years doesn't seem so bad.

Yep, I agree.

Originally Posted by RufusG
Best thing would be to visit some shops and handle their wares to see how it compares to the surface you like.

Aye, good advice. That's my next stop.

Originally Posted by Bighorn
If you ever decide to sell your handgun, the Talon stuff can be easily removed. Stippling cannot, at least not easily, to look like factory original.

I doubt I'll ever sell it, but I am worried about stippling being permanent. If my hands didn't like the new texture and I had to rewrap it with Talon DIY sheets, I'd be a bit annoyed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by applelanding
I loved granulate Talon Grips on a G19 for about 3 years, until the adhesive started failing at a few spots. I'm considering having the grips stippled now, but wonder if any stippling job can match the aggressiveness of 80 grit sandpaper?

I also liked Talon Grips at first, but, like you, got turned off to them when they started peeling months after installation.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the Talon grips on my G19 but we can’t change back straps without removing and presumably ruining them

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I like the Talon grips on my G19 but we can’t change back straps without removing and presumably ruining them

How often are you changing back straps? Seems you could put on the appropriate one and THEN put on the Talon grips?

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I also liked Talon Grips at first, but, like you, got turned off to them when they started peeling months after installation.

Never had that problem. One set has been on my USPSA gun (Sig X-five) for almost 2 years now with no problems. Same with the ones on my two sons competition guns. Same on the three carry guns I have them on. The competition pistols see a lot of hard use with no problems from the Talons.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

How often are you changing back straps? Seems you could put on the appropriate one and THEN put on the Talon

That’s exactly what I did. But there have been times since then I’d like to remove the back strap to see how I shoot with the smaller grip but I can’t. You never shoot something one way for a while and then decide to maybe try it a different way? Anyway it’s not a huge deal and I do like the Talons

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You never shoot something one way for a while and then decide to maybe try it a different way? Anyway it’s not a huge deal and I do like the Talons

Not with pistols. If I swap back straps at all, I do it first thing. I put on the one that allows my grip and finger (on the trigger) to be where I want them. Then put on the grips. Just the way I do it, not trying to say any other way is wrong.

Anyway, hope you find a setup that you like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Nother option is skateboard tape.

I just put a strip of it on my Glock 44 front strap.

Works WAY better than the impressed "checkering" that is under the tape!

Virgil B.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[quote=Never had that problem. One set has been on my USPSA gun (Sig X-five) for almost 2 years now with no problems. Same with the ones on my two sons competition guns. Same on the three carry guns I have them on. The competition pistols see a lot of hard use with no problems from the Talons.

My Talon grips didn't start to lose adhesion until about year 3, and then it was only on the less supported, outlying areas like underneath the slide release and near the heel of the grip. Could've been that i didn't heat them properly during installation. I'll buy another set either way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.