Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I just had the Walker trigger replaced on my Rem 700. The pull weight on the new trigger is now 4 1/2 pounds. I prefer a 3 pound pull weight. Has anyone here adjusted these replacement triggers? (I am assuming they are adjustable) What pull weight were you
safely able to get? Thanks in advance.
Please don't tell me to just replace the trigger because I will probably be selling the rifle within the next year and don't want to put more money into it when I'm don't plan on keeping it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Quite easy.Try adjusting the trigger pull weight only and you can probably get it down to 3lbs or less.I like mine around 2.50-2.75lbs
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

Last edited by baldhunter; 07/15/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
I just had the Walker trigger replaced on my Rem 700. The pull weight on the new trigger is now 4 1/2 pounds. I prefer a 3 pound pull weight. Has anyone here adjusted these replacement triggers? (I am assuming they are adjustable) What pull weight were you
Please don't tell me to just replace the trigger because I will probably be selling the rifle within the next year and don't want to put more money into it when I'm don't plan on keeping it.
Well, this is what I tell customers: Replace it with a TriggerTech. IF/WHEN you sell the rifle, just have that pos Rem trigger swapped back in, keep the TriggerTech and use it in the NEW rifle....

You'll thank me later..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The aftermarket triggers are without a doubt way better triggers for sure.Sounds like your trigger may have been replaced with the newer X-Mark Pro external adjustable trigger.That trigger really sucks.It depends on how the sear and over travel screws are adjusted as to how they respond to just changing the trigger spring.I have one rifle that did real well.I was able to get it down to about a crisp 2-3/4lbs.Had others that would only go down to about 3lbs,which is way better than 4.5lbs.The X-Mark trigger that first came out is a little better trigger.I can usually get those down to 2.5-2.75lbs without changing the spring.Ernie the gunsmith sells a lighter weight spring that will get you down to around 3lbs with just a simple spring change if you don't want to replace the whole trigger.Here is the link with instructions
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i173.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by baldhunter
The aftermarket triggers are without a doubt way better triggers for sure.Sounds like your trigger may have been replaced with the newer X-Mark Pro external adjustable trigger.That trigger really sucks.It depends on how the sear and over travel screws are adjusted as to how they respond to just changing the trigger spring.I have one rifle that did real well.I was able to get it down to about a crisp 2-3/4lbs.Had others that would only go down to about 3lbs,which is way better than 4.5lbs.The X-Mark trigger that first came out is a little better trigger.I can usually get those down to 2.5-2.75lbs without changing the spring.Ernie the gunsmith sells a lighter weight spring that will get you down to around 3lbs with just a simple spring change if you don't want to replace the whole trigger.Here is the link with instructions
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i173.html
Not sure what trigger they are using for replacement. It has one adjustment screw in the front of the housing, No external adjustment screw.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Well, this is what I tell customers: Replace it with a TriggerTech. IF/WHEN you sell the rifle, just have that pos Rem trigger swapped back in, keep the TriggerTech and use it in the NEW rifle....

You'll thank me later..
I know what you are saying but I'm just not a Remington guy. This was my son's rifle. All my rifles are Winchester mod.70s. I don't ever plan on buying another Remington.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
Best to ascertain WHICH trigger group is installed in the receiver BEFORE attempting any adjustment procedures...since you haven't a CLUE.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dans40X
OP,
Best to ascertain WHICH trigger group is installed in the receiver BEFORE attempting any adjustment procedures...since you haven't a CLUE.

Nobody knows everything as much as Dan!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
OP,
Thanks for the helpful information Dan. I am only familiar with the Walker trigger and the research I have done does not give me any information about the replacement trigger Remington is using, hence my question to the group hoping someone has some experience with them.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
Thanks for the helpful information Dan. I am only familiar with the Walker trigger and the research I have done does not give me any information about the replacement trigger Remington is using, hence my question to the group hoping someone has some experience with them.

A picture of said trigger group or a GOOGLE search would help w/ your curiosity.

IF,You sent the rifle back to Remington it will have an X Mark trigger group installed.

IF,you had a local 'smith install a trigger group it is probably a POS Timney.

Last edited by Dans40X; 07/24/20.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
After extensive searching I have determined the trigger is a X-Mark trigger but NOT the externally adjustable Pro model. The replacement was done by an authorized Remington repair center using the trigger supplied by Remington. The trigger is not bad as is, the break is clean, no drag or creep just a heavier than I'd like. I have only been able to find a couple of people that have attempted to adjust the X-Mark trigger and they were unable to get the pull below 4 lbs. So I think I'll leave it as is.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The X Mark & X Mark Pro trigger groups ARE adjustable once you remove the sealant w/ acetone & use a 1/16" allen wrench.

Do NOT crowd the overtravel adjustment since it blocks trigger lever movement & sear bar.

A Trigger Tech Primary or Special trigger group will put you light years ahead of any X Mark/Pro trigger group.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

A Trigger Tech Primary or Special trigger group will put you light years ahead of any X Mark/Pro trigger group.
Many, MANY light years... Best place for a stock Rem trigger is in the nearest waste basket..... But what I do is give the original back to the customer - telling him that if/when he sells the rifle to swap out the TT and replace the pos Rem trigger, then use the TT for his new rifle... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get a new spring from Ernie the gunsmith. This will help also.

Moe

"Pick out two!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10Glocks, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,633
Posts18,512,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.