Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Prolly it would end up more as a gunsmithing forum, right? Judging from the amount of aftermarket stuff commonly sold...the factory barrels must not be keepers, we know the triggers are schidt, the extractors have been schidt from the get-go, tons of aftermarket stocks, so they must not be that great, there is a veritable cottage industry out there true-ing actions. To me a 700 is kind of like buying a newer jeep....to make it do what it's supposed to do off road, you need to make a huge aftermarket investment.
Perhaps the title of the new forum could be:
Making your 700 perform like a Savage

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by flintlocke
Prolly it would end up more as a gunsmithing forum, right? Judging from the amount of aftermarket stuff commonly sold...the factory barrels must not be keepers, we know the triggers are schidt, the extractors have been schidt from the get-go, tons of aftermarket stocks, so they must not be that great, there is a veritable cottage industry out there true-ing actions. To me a 700 is kind of like buying a newer jeep....to make it do what it's supposed to do off road, you need to make a huge aftermarket investment.

That’s funny.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The only gun that Savage ever made that was worth a forum on was the Model 99.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It was determined back by about 2003 that Remingtons suck.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

^^^^^^^^^^

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

There's always been a chance of getting a darned good factory barrel. Back in the day, they were more likely to out shoot all others, best against best from the factories. The trigger used to be workable. Stocks have been available as cheap junk, cheap but functional, decent to excellent. You buy the cheapest and expect the best from other manufacturers... The action has the ability to function so well, not just accurate, but also smooth that the design dominates. Extractor, I like it and they've performed well actually. Some folks prefer crf but they ain't winning for accuracy. I kinda like the one on the bolt lug better these days. All that said, we already have forums for all that is Remington.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd check into the forum Pocono Jack, I have a couple of 22 pumpers from Illion.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
being that I own more than a few different rems I would be in !!!

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love one...

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

One last time.
Thanks

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would be very willing to talk about legendary Remington shotguns. Mass-produced Remington shotguns were the best ever made in USA. These included model 1894, model 17 (basis for Ithaca 37), model 32 (French design later used by Krieghoff, Valmet, Tikka), Model 31 (basis for Mossberg 500), 870 Wingmaster, Model 1100. They also produced small number of Parker Brothers shotguns shortly after WWII. Remington rifles aren't worth discussing. The only Remington rifle I would look at is a used Model 725.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"The only Remington rifle I would look at is a used Model 725."

Well, you aren't going to find a new one...

Mine isn't for sale. It has salvage history from a found, wrecked snow-machine sled by a friend, now deceased, off the North Slope. The stock is terrible wood, but it's just a handle anyway....

It cost me about $100 for a takeoff .260 700 stainlessTI from David Walter to replace the rusted-bore original .244, and a 700 extractor, just replaced. 700 extractors are not supposed to fit and work, but it did.

MOA with 140 gr., about 5 with any other bullet weight. I can live with that...

Last year it took 2 bull caribou on successive days with the broken. extractor. Just wait a few seconds for the brass to shrink, open the bolt, point muzzle up and bang the stock with one's palm - brass falls right out.... Rednecks R Us.... smile

You ain't 'sposed to need a second shot anyway. Worked so far on a number of caribou, an elk, and a wolf. No flies on the 725. I don't know why they quit making them. Or made so few.

Last edited by las; 07/17/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
M
looking for help with a Remington Model 31... lifter won't get the shell high enough to slide into chamber. Anyone have a 'fix' for this problem?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model12
looking for help with a Remington Model 31... lifter won't get the shell high enough to slide into chamber. Anyone have a 'fix' for this problem?

That's almost the only thing that ever wears out on a Model 31, The lifter is a long dog-leg part that pivots way back in the receiver. The "knee" of the dogleg rides on the bolt slide and eventually may wear down enough so the shell is not raised high enough to clear the bottom of the barrel on the way in. Basically, the only decent fix is to replace the lifter with one with a fatter "knee". You could also probably weld build up your lifter if that's your area of expertise. You can still probably find the part on GunBroker but it's likely hit or miss whether it's a better part than you have, unless you can get the seller to measure it the same way you measure yours. Plus there are three patterns of Model 31, '31, '34, and '41, and the lifters are not interchangeable. PM me if you need more info. I also may still have a few extras laying around but don't know if they'd work or not.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
How that Remington Forum work out????

crazy whistle smirk laugh laugh laugh

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I avoided any Remington's, then I came upon my stainless Model Seven, 308.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
M
Regarding the 'lifter' problem... That's kind of what I figured, but I'm new to this forum (and 70 years old), and I can't figure out how to PM someone on here frown Also, I'm not comfortable taking the trigger/receiver apart and hoping I can put it back together again. I saw a post on here from a couple of years ago from user 300Savage that said someone had provided him with a 'fix', but, again, I don't know how to get in touch with him. My gun is actually a 31-TC -- beautiful gun and it shoots great. Just won't feed, which is ok for most trap shooting - just not doubles. I guess I'm going to have to send it off somewhere to get fixed this winter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old Remington electric shaver (corded), so - - - -

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in, been shooting Model 700 rifles since I was a kid. I have more than I'm willing to mention and several have been sent off and customized. Damn 7mm Ultra Mag shoots better than most varmint rifles and the .22-250AI is unbelievable. I also have a few 870s from a few years back. I'm interested for sure. I also agree, the only Savage worth owning is a Model 99, had one in .308 and killed more whitetails and black bears in Idaho than I can count on both hands.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like the Remingtons I have. They are good rifles.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.