Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigPine
My first pair of decent speakers were Advents when I was in high school, around 1978 , 1979 ish. Technics receiver and a component equalizer that I can’t recall the name of. Tech turntable with the best stylus I could get very 6 months or so. Original albums fromThe Beach boys in 1969 , Zeppellin ( all up to that point) , Eagles , J Geils, Black Sabbath , Skynyrd: etc. had 200;or so albums that got stolen from storage years ago. I miss them very much

Equalizer was likely an ADC Sound Shaper

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going to look at a very nice 2230 today that’s been gone through. Any tips on what to watch out for prior to buying one? Being sold by a local hobbyist that does the needed cleaning, caps, and lighting changes. He’ll have it hooked up to demo.

Fear the crabcat.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Just got off the phone with Audio Classics, was considering having them go through the 2270. Unfortunately, they only work on the more valuable 1960’s Marantz tube equipment, not the 1970’s transistor stuff.
I did find a shop that specializes in 2270 refurbs, but at a cost of $750.00 to $850.00 it’s hard to justify for a receiver that is currently not experiencing any issues. Oh well.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I still have my Carver M400 amplifier, David Hafler pre-amp that I assembled and both Bose 901-II's and KEF speakers as well as a Yamaha turntable. All stuffed in a closet having not been used in 30 years. My youngest son wants to get it all running.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a 21 year old college student in 1972, I bought a Marantz 2230.

When I as an electrical engineer with paychecks in 1977, I upgraded beyond Marantz. Crazy beyond.

In 2000 I took the giant JBJ speakers to the dump. I was trying to kick the stereo gear habit.

In 2006 I designed amplifiers that 100s were computer tested per month that sent me feedback on the data. There are many similarities between this feedback and group sizes in rifle testing.

Right now all I have is two Sangean monitors on my computer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great sound equipment is a blessing - always has been - at least in my life. Always needed a setup that would move A LOT of air - and with precision. So, often have used big Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers, or Klipsch Corner Horns - (horns seem to do it best) and appreciated the efficiency. Usually have pushed those with McIntosh or Crown amps - and some other very good ones others have mentioned here.

Instruments and voices move air - the larger ensembles move a lot of air in performance - not easy to reproduce those real effects. Speakers other than horns, especially those with the smaller overall surface area, can sound quite good when one is up close but, regardless of amp power and volume level, I have never found them able to cause me to feel that I am standing up front and conducting the ensemble. Moving air mass is it - acoustics is acoustics.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Yamaha and Klipsch here.

Still have my 1979 Yamaha cr 840 reciever.

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Nice receiver - do you have easy access (antenna or cable) to FM radio? Not familiar with that model - aside from phono and aux, what are the other available inputs? Will you be driving horns, or acoustic suspension, or ??

Here are some photos of the inputs and outputs. The input you can't see the lable is the phono one.

I don't have the coin to really outfit this like a die hard audiophile. I'll probably try to find some older high end speakers used. The fellow my friend bought this from has rooms stacked with audio equipment. he even had a turntable that cost over 15 grand. The marantz my friend bought from him was a 2325. It's a 125 WPC. unit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I have a 2238B, paired with an old pair of re-foamed Snells, which sounds fantastic. I'm on the lookout for a 2285B, but I'm afraid they're way overpriced at this point - I've seen them for as high as $2,500.00, but most tend to sell in the $1K range.

These old Marantz receivers from the 70s are hard to beat once they've been recapped and fully serviced.

I see your Q102 sign. Remember the Zoo?

Oh yeah, I listened to that station a lot also. I loved it when they had a "No Phill Collins or Genesis weekend" one time in about 1984-88 era.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 2225 that I bought in 1976 and bought a pair of Genesis II speakers with it and a Technics turntable. They were all stolen in 1983 when punks broke into my house. I replaced it with a SONY receive and EPI 100T/E but they died years ago. What I would recommend to go with that receiver is Human 81 speakers. They are made in a small shop by a guy who worked for Genesis and EPI back in the day. The 81 is a nice 2 way speaker with an 8" woofer and 1" tweeter, like the old EPI 100s. I bought a pair of Human 81 in Oak cabinets a few years back and they are still sounding great. They are part of my home theater surround sound along with some small Energy speakers with a sub and my Yamaha AV receiver.

I do miss that Marantz tho and always note when I see one somewhere.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have a 2235 in my workshop; with a pair of JBL L26 Decade speakers and Technics SL1200 turnatable with Audio Technica stylus. Original owner of all of them; thats where I spin my vinyl while "piddlin' around" with my hunting/fishing/gun gear. Sounds great. Have a spare 2225 I may put up for sale.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 07/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1911a1 - thanks for the photos - that is a very nice unit. Am thinking that your idea to find some good used high end speakers is a good approach. Don't know your budget, of course, but I would be looking for some old Klipsch Heresy or Cornwall speakers.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What made the Marantz sound good for early 1970s was it delivered twice the power into 4 Ohms than it did to 8 Ohms.

That made the bass notes not distort.

The speaker said "8 Ohms" but the impedance changes with frequency and there could be 4 Ohms showing up in places down in the bass notes.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had one as well and it was special. Somehow in all the moves it disappeared.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Be careful buying old used speakers. Many used foam surrounds in the woofers and mid-range drivers and the foam over time will disintegrate. It was the foam surrounds disintegrating that put an end to my EPI 100 T/E speakers. The vast majority of the old speakers that had foam surrounds, that are still working today, have had the surrounds or drivers replaced. When I ordered my Human 81s, at the time there was a choice between foam or butyl rubber surrounds. I went with the slightly less responsive but more durable butyll rubber. The drivers using butyl rubber surrounds are the only type he offers now.

http://humanspeakers.com/

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Snyper
I hate the 4 Channels didn't catch on.

I had one back in the early 70's and it was fun to sit in the middle of a room and let the music spin around you.

The speakers could blow out a match from a foot away

Yup...
I'd get home from pulling alert and flying an eight hour mission, put on the Sansui 9001 QRX, lay on the floor in the middle of the living room and relax to The Dark Side of the Moon. Our neighbors knew that I was back home... grin

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buncha guys when I was stationed in Germany.
Buying up high dollar stereo components at the PX in Stuttgart.
Huge selection of stuff in the Audio room.
Room musta been 1500 sq ft at least of anything you could think of for stereo stuff.

Big ole out do the other guy stuff going on.
Most of em had Bose speaker systems in common.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Be careful buying old used speakers. Many used foam surrounds in the woofers and mid-range drivers and the foam over time will disintegrate. It was the foam surrounds disintegrating that put an end to my EPI 100 T/E speakers. The vast majority of the old speakers that had foam surrounds, that are still working today, have had the surrounds or drivers replaced. When I ordered my Human 81s, at the time there was a choice between foam or butyl rubber surrounds. I went with the slightly less responsive but more durable butyll rubber. The drivers using butyl rubber surrounds are the only type he offers now.

http://humanspeakers.com/

You can re-foam yourself. Not hard to do. There are kits out there. I have done it. Need to do it again.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought the 2230 I looked at last night. Really clean with all the basic maintenance and lights upgraded to LED’s done. Hooked it up to some Bose 301’s I have and it sounded good for those speakers. Going to be on the lookout for some better speakers for it now.

My wife likes the blue lights...chicks. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Fear the crabcat.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I bought the 2230 I looked at last night. Really clean with all the basic maintenance and lights upgraded to LED’s done. Hooked it up to some Bose 301’s I have and it sounded good for those speakers. Going to be on the lookout for some better speakers for it now.

My wife likes the blue lights...chicks. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I like the blue lights too.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.