Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Not trying to be a smart azz, but this is a serious question as I'm probably overlooking something but I can only see two ends in that scenario.

First, the govt has to pay market value for the gold someone brings in. This pegs inflation/deflation directly to the price of gold. If there's lots of pessimissim or speculation driving up the price of gold we've got bad inflation that has nothing to do with the economy as a whole and I don't see a way to fix it. If the price of gold is down when everyone is optimistic and buying tech stocks instead of gold then we've got deflation which isn't good either.

Second, if the govt doesn't pay market value for the gold people bring in but rather a fixed price, people are just going to use gold instead of currency if the fixed price is less than spot price, which would sink the value of the dollar. If the fixed price is higher than spot price everyone and their brother would arbitrage it by buying gold and exchanging it which would bankrupt the govt pretty quickly. I don't see a way around this other than just outright banning ownership of Gold like FDR tried to do

How would we get around this?

By defining the dollar as a fixed weight in either gold or silver (but not both, as that creates problems of its own). This way the price of an ounce of silver is always going to be (lets say) $30.00 US, or the price of an ounce of gold is always going to be (let's say) $1,800.00 US, because that's the new definition of a US Dollar (one-eighteen-hundredth of an ounce of gold or one-thirtieth of and ounce of silver). Since the value of the those metals, as measured against a bushel of wheat, a good horse's saddle, a good pair of men's dress shoes, a side of beef, etc., remains fairly stable over the decades (centuries), so does the dollar.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not trying to be a smart azz, but this is a serious question as I'm probably overlooking something but I can only see two ends in that scenario.

First, the govt has to pay market value for the gold someone brings in. This pegs inflation/deflation directly to the price of gold. If there's lots of pessimissim or speculation driving up the price of gold we've got bad inflation that has nothing to do with the economy as a whole and I don't see a way to fix it. If the price of gold is down when everyone is optimistic and buying tech stocks instead of gold then we've got deflation which isn't good either.

Second, if the govt doesn't pay market value for the gold people bring in but rather a fixed price, people are just going to use gold instead of currency if the fixed price is less than spot price, which would sink the value of the dollar. If the fixed price is higher than spot price everyone and their brother would arbitrage it by buying gold and exchanging it which would bankrupt the govt pretty quickly. I don't see a way around this other than just outright banning ownership of Gold like FDR tried to do

By defining the dollar as a fixed weight in either gold or silver (but not both, as that creates problems of its own). This way the price of an ounce of silver is always going to be (lets say) $30.00 US, and the price of an ounce of gold is always going to be (let's say) $1,800.00 US, because that's the new definition of a US Dollar (one-eighteen-hundredth of an ounce of gold or one-thirtieth of and ounce of silver). Since the value of the those metals, as measured against a bushel of wheat, a good horse's saddle, a good pair of men's dress shoes, a side of beef, etc., remains fairly stable over the decades (centuries), so does the dollar.

I get what you're saying but I don't know that the US has the power to fix the global market price of gold (without tremendous investments on the open market to manipulate the price). For most of the time we were on the gold standard we were one of the largest producers of gold if not the largest, now we're down to 4th place. Russia and China are ahead of us and produce almost 3 times what we do. Every ounce they produce will devalue our currency unless we buy it on the open market. If we don't buy it we get in the situation where gold in the us sells for $1800/oz and on the open market it sells for $1850/oz. Speculators are going to obtain dollars, trade them in for gold to the us got and then sell the gold on the european or asian markets for a $50 profit with no risk which is pretty quickly going to bankrupt us even worse than we are

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Weve been with our fiat system about 50 years. How did we make it until then? smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I get what you're saying but I don't know that the US has the power to fix the global market price of gold (without tremendous investments on the open market to manipulate the price). For most of the time we were on the gold standard we were one of the largest producers of gold if not the largest, now we're down to 4th place. Russia and China are ahead of us and produce almost 3 times what we do. Every ounce they produce will devalue our currency unless we buy it on the open market. If we don't buy it we get in the situation where gold in the us sells for $1800/oz and on the open market it sells for $1850/oz. Speculators are going to obtain dollars, trade them in for gold to the us got and then sell the gold on the european or asian markets for a $50 profit with no risk which is pretty quickly going to bankrupt us even worse than we are

At a fundamental level, you're thinking about it wrong. Once the dollar is defined as a fixed amount of gold or silver, all that a fluctuation in gold or silver value (on the world market) can do is cause a fluctuation in the purchasing power (strength) of the dollar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Weve been with our fiat system about 50 years. How did we make it until then? smirk
Good question, but it has been 87 years officially and longer than that under the table. I am upset but have no recourse over the banks stealing our kids future. We've been suckered in with free printing and distribution of money the same way I sucker in smart independent industrious wild hogs with free corn. Then when it's too late the trap shuts or the bullet hits home.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Under a gold standard, inflation, growth and the financial system are all less stable. There are more recessions, larger swings in consumer prices and more banking crises. When things go wrong in one part of the world, the distress will be transmitted more quickly and completely to others. Dec 19, 2016
Why a gold standard is a very bad idea β€” Money, Banking ...
www.moneyandbanking.com

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

β€œIn Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might write an article on why living on credit and using other people's money is a really bad idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ironic,

All this talk of gold,
Comes back to its value,
In $$$.

Our money is fine.
Because we have always been fine. Stable. Solvent. Productive.

That's changing, unfortunately.

How you count your wealth is going to be one of
your smaller problems when your country disintegrates.
That, is our bigger problem right now.
Gold notes aren't going to hold this thing together.
It's the people, and today's people aren't interested in U.S. (us?)
just me!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
www.theatlantic.com Business Why the Gold Standard Is the World's Worst Economic Idea...Matthew O'Brien August 26, 2012

The greatest trick Ron Paul ever pulled was convincing the world that the gold standard leads to stable prices.

Well, maybe not the world. Just the Republican Party. After a 32-year hiatus, the party's official platform will include a plank calling for a commission to look at the possibleΒ return of the gold standard. There might be worse ideas than this, but they generally involve jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge because everybody else is doing it.

Economics is often a contentious subject, but economists agree about the gold standard -- it is a barbarous relic that belongs in the dustbin of history. As University of Chicago professor Richard Thaler points out, exactly zero economists endorsed the idea in a recent poll. What makes it such an idea non grata? It prevents the central bank from fighting recessions by outsourcing monetary policy decisions to how much gold we have -- which, in turn, depends on our trade balance and on how much of the shiny rock we can dig up. When we peg the dollar to gold we have to raise interest rates when gold is scarce, regardless of the state of the economy.Β This policy inflexibility was the major cause of the Great Depression, as governments were forced to tighten policy at the worst possible moment.Β It's no coincidence that the sooner a countryΒ abandoned the gold standard, the sooner it began recovering.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

β€œIn Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When we were on the gold standard. 1 oz of gold in 1800 was worth $20. 1 oz of gold or $20 would buy you a two suits. In 1900 1 oz of gold was worth $20 and again, both would buy two suits.

Then sometime around 1912 Wilson created the Federal Reserve, thus the downfall of the dollar via inflation. In 2000 1 oz of gold could still buy you two suits, however with inflation, $20 would only buy you the socks.

Gold kept it's constant value, but fiat money not backed by gold, rose over time with inflation.

See the difference. During the 1800's a $20 gold piece was one ounce and kept it's value. This was also true with the silver dollar, which today is worth about $30+ dollars.

Pennies made before 1980 are worth about 2 cents in metal with today's prices. Nickles made before 2010 are worth about 8 cents in todays prices. Kennedy dollars made after 1964 are worth about $3 in metal.

Wonder why there is a shortage of change. Preppers know this and are saving their old change. Paper money can become worthless, coins will not, especially some coins with silver, gold, and copper in them.

We should go back on the gold standard, but peg what we have in reserve to what is already printed and freeze it. With fiat money and the Federal Reserve, the government can release more money into the system by paying debt off with inflated dollars. Prices will keep rising, like they did in the 1970's when Nixon got completely off the gold standard. We were only partially on it still after 1912, but got completely off in the 1970's.

Ammo and food may be the barter currency in the next few years if they do away with money and make it all electronic via cards and chips. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Last edited by Dixie_Dude; 07/17/20.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
No, I think it's like a lot of other things from the past in that people's view of it tends to be clouded by nostalgia into thinking it was better for the economy than it really was. We forget that when we were on the gold standard there was often a shortage of cash to the point that much of the country would go months or even years without seeing any, leading to a large barter economy that couldn't be taxed (anyone remember stories about dr's and others having to take payments in farm products because there was no cash?). The govt just didn't have enough gold to print the amount of money that the economy needed.

The US also couldn't control the gold supply, there were periods of massive inflation after new gold rushes came on because of all the new gold hitting the economy. Not quite as likely as today but still possible.

The govt loses the ability to do quantitative easing to either speed up or slow down the economy. I think the 25 years after WWII is probably an abberation due to pent up demand from the depression/war and extra people from the baby boom, but for most of the time we were on the gold standard there was a pretty severe recession every decade or so, that hasn't really happened since we went off it.

Yep.

After the conquistadors returned from the new world with ship loads of gold Spanish experienced 500% inflation.

Not exactly the symptoms of a stable money supply.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy
Should the United States go back on the gold standard? If so, why?

Don't think we (US) have the gold.

g

Doesn't need to exist in the Treasury. Just re-institute "Free Coinage." Under "Free Coinage," if you want gold coins or gold-backed paper currency, you bring your gold (or silver) to the Treasury (They would set up offices all over the nation), and at the counter you hand them your metals and receive the coin equivalent, or gold/silver backed paper notes, at your preference, or they will electronically deposit the gold and/or silver backed currency into your bank account.

You can't.

That's why no nation is on a true gold standard.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
No, I think it's like a lot of other things from the past in that people's view of it tends to be clouded by nostalgia into thinking it was better for the economy than it really was. We forget that when we were on the gold standard there was often a shortage of cash to the point that much of the country would go months or even years without seeing any, leading to a large barter economy that couldn't be taxed (anyone remember stories about dr's and others having to take payments in farm products because there was no cash?). The govt just didn't have enough gold to print the amount of money that the economy needed.
The US also couldn't control the gold supply, there were periods of massive inflation after new gold rushes came on because of all the new gold hitting the economy. Not quite as likely as today but still possible.
The govt loses the ability to do quantitative easing to either speed up or slow down the economy. I think the 25 years after WWII is probably an abberation due to pent up demand from the depression/war and extra people from the baby boom, but for most of the time we were on the gold standard there was a pretty severe recession every decade or so, that hasn't really happened since we went off it.
"The government just didn't have enough gold to print the amount of money that the economy needed" Bull shut, the Federal Reserve did print however much money it wanted and called it gold certificates to finance WW1 and the roaring twenties stock market boom. There was not gold enough but for about 1/3 of the gold certificates. We could have followed William Jennings Bryan's advice and fixed a ratio for silver to gold and still had sound money and Bryan's advice as he fought to keep us out of WW1. But no, we have enjoyed living on credit and fighting folks like Germany, Japan,Korea, and Vietnam on credit and putting our parents and feeble on the government credit. Now we are destitute. You will see soon enough.

No, we wouldn't have. Gresham's law. Cheap money drives out good money. That's why duel monetary systems don't work.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

g

Doesn't need to exist in the Treasury. Just re-institute "Free Coinage." Under "Free Coinage," if you want gold coins or gold-backed paper currency, you bring your gold (or silver) to the Treasury (They would set up offices all over the nation), and at the counter you hand them your metals and receive the coin equivalent, or gold/silver backed paper notes, at your preference, or they will electronically deposit the gold and/or silver backed currency into your bank account.

You can't.

The world was forced off it when Nixon defaulted on the United State's obligations to tender gold for US Dollars. The nations of the world had backed all their currencies on the US Dollar, which we promised to keep as good as gold, because we had promised it would remain backed by gold.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
When we were on the gold standard. 1 oz of gold in 1800 was worth $20. 1 oz of gold or $20 would buy you a two suits. In 1900 1 oz of gold was worth $20 and again, both would buy two suits.

Your dates are cherry picked. There were many wild fluctuation in assets values between 1800 and 1900.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

g

You can't.

The world was forced off it when Nixon defaulted on the United State's obligations to tender gold for US Dollars. The nations of the world had backed all their currencies on the US Dollar, which we promised to keep as good as gold, because we had promised it would remain backed by gold.

And he took us off for the exact reasons in the above post.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by Gus
at some point, sooner or later, the issue of interest rates (possible usery) will have to be addressed, or rewrite the arithmetical laws. it use to be addressed about every 50 years in the ancient world. we're in the post-modern era now as many folks are learning. we left kansas long ago.

So you're saying that we're going to have to start moving the decimal place over and adding zero's to Zogbucks, a la Zimbabwe?? laugh

that's it exactly. they among others have taught us how. i hope i've done gone on to the big reward before it happens here though.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

And he took us off for the exact reasons in the above post.

Which is why the US should simply follow the US Constitution and not issue paper notes at all, but only mint gold and silver coins. The dollar, however, should be fixed to one or the other, not both. They can mint both, but fix the dollar to one and not both, and allow people to contract for either payment in silver or gold coins.

If private banks choose to issue gold and silver notes, hold them accountable for fraud when they issue more notes than they have gold or silver to back them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If private banks choose to issue gold and silver notes, hold them accountable for fraud when they issue more notes than they have gold or silver to back them.
If they would have hung the Federal Reserve bankers 87 years ago justice would have been served and defrauding the citizenry would have stopped. We are going to pay a terrible price for this fiat money system. Actually in a way we already have with our military adventures that have caused so much misery and death to our own citizens and abroad, with no benefit to anyone but the bankers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hastings
If they would have hung the Federal Reserve bankers 87 years ago justice would have been served and defrauding the citizenry would have stopped. We are going to pay a terrible price for this fiat money system. Actually in a way we already have with our military adventures that have caused so much misery and death to our own citizens and abroad, with no benefit to anyone but the bankers.

Yep.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.