Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's funny

I saw it too and put it on my watch list and was going to post it when the auction was over.

Just in case.... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Look's like the Mario Cuomo bridge here in N.Y.

B
B
Good photos, though!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Lightfoot better than the Stith, it is one piece and is not scope specific like the Stith. I have a Lightfoot mount with a Lyman Alaskan and some old Redfield 7/8" rings. If I want to go to a 1" or 30 millimeter scope all I have to do is change the rings and slap the new scope on the rifle.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe the seller should describe the(Lightfoot) mount as a Redfield/Leupold type rather than a Stith type.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm fairly certain I've seen that gun for sale before. Wish I had done a better job of logging SNs of guns.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by S99VG
Maybe the seller should describe the(Lightfoot) mount as a Redfield/Leupold type rather than a Stith type.

Maybe we should discuss if something is dark black or light black.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Not really because there is a very big difference between the Stith and Redfield/Leupold systems if you want to get down into the weeds. Calling the Lightfoot mount a "Stith type" of mount is very miss leading. If anything, I would call it an alternative to a Stith. So to respond to your comment, not really - it is not as subtle as the difference between light and dark black. And believe me, you or I would be all over that point of detail if a seller tried to pass that mount off as a Stith or something similar to a Stith at a gun show - especially if they tried using it as a point for inflating the price of the gun. That kind of thing is commonly referred to as BS. Gun guys can be very detail oriented hence the crux of Roy's post on this website, the Savage Collectors Forum. So again, very big difference. And don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lightfoot's mount as I am too of the Redfield/Leupold system. But to say that's splitting hairs would be reducing all mounting systems to their basic function of securing a scope to a rifle. And in that general of a context they would all be the same and the variations from one manufacturer to another only minor differences.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sunday 07/19 1318 hrs. I see on the GB page ref the Savage 99 that the seller changed the description to read "a recent manufactured Lightfoot scope mount"! Thumbs up to him!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Sunday 07/19 1318 hrs. I see on the GB page ref the Savage 99 that the seller changed the description to read "a recent manufactured Lightfoot scope mount"! Thumbs up to him!

+1!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Not really because there is a very big difference between the Stith and Redfield/Leupold systems if you want to get down into the weeds. Calling the Lightfoot mount a "Stith type" of mount is very miss leading. If anything, I would call it an alternative to a Stith. So to respond to your comment, not really - it is not as subtle as the difference between light and dark black. And believe me, you or I would be all over that point of detail if a seller tried to pass that mount off as a Stith or something similar to a Stith at a gun show - especially if they tried using it as a point for inflating the price of the gun. That kind of thing is commonly referred to as BS. Gun guys can be very detail oriented hence the crux of Roy's post on this website, the Savage Collectors Forum. So again, very big difference. And don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lightfoot's mount as I am too of the Redfield/Leupold system. But to say that's splitting hairs would be reducing all mounting systems to their basic function of securing a scope to a rifle. And in that general of a context they would all be the same and the variations from one manufacturer to another only minor differences.

Agreed, it is misleading to an idiot. How does a Stith type mount attach to a 99 that is different than a Lightfoot mount?

Rings are different, sure, but rings aren't the mount, the mount is the mount and the Lightfoot mount attaches the same as a Stith. I'm sure you have more time to discuss this after the Flomax kicked in, but it's nit picking, at best.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Agreed, it is misleading to an idiot. How does a Stith type mount attach to a 99 that is different than a Lightfoot mount?

Rings are different, sure, but rings aren't the mount, the mount is the mount and the Lightfoot mount attaches the same as a Stith. I'm sure you have more time to discuss this after the Flomax kicked in, but it's nit picking, at best.

Really, its no biggie. Have a good Sunday.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You fellas say it said "Stith type" from the start? If it did I didn't catch it. But then again I slept 14 hours straight Saturday night so I was pretty out of it.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You fellas say it said "Stith type" from the start? If it did I didn't catch it. But then again I slept 14 hours straight Saturday night so I was pretty out of it.

Or, you could just be stupid. I'd vote for that.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Steelhead^^^^^, for those that don't know.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Steelhead^^^^^, for those that don't know.

\

Hey, Ford, Chevy, Mercedes or Yugo. All different shades of grey and a waste of time arguing over the differences. Off to the Yugo store!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Isn't he *special?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quit feeding the troll Roy. I'm out of popcorn.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.